Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay for in your quilts? >

What would you pay for in your quilts?

What would you pay for in your quilts?

Old 10-09-2017, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Most of my quilts are small and quilted on a domestic machine. I would pay someone else to do the long arm (large quilts) but haven't found anyone who'll quilt it with my vision. I know of lots of quilters who do a fabulous job, just not my vision. Every time I long arm a quilt for someone, I wonder if it's their viision. Maybe I need to allow myself more time and embrase the long arm process
as a long arm quilter, I love when my customers have a vision of what they are wanting and can explain to me. I'm willing to send them some sketches or have them look at samples, too. I cringe when someone hands me a quilt and says "quilt it anyway you want"! I love lots of modern quilting and others don't always, so I want to know their vision!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:04 PM

If money were no object, I'd pay someone to clean up after me. And to use my scraps so I don't have to deal with them, either.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 PM

I also like the whole process...it's a hobby. Buying the fabric and supplies is expensive enough so if I had to pay someone to do anything would price me out of this hobby. I am so happy that I was able to buy much, much fabric when I was working DH bought me a longarm so I didn't have to send out my quilts. I think that the longarm has paid for itself. Like other have said, maybe to clean up around me.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:24 AM

I have self-handed "every" binding on every quilt that I have created. This includes baby quilts, table toppers, twin bed quilts, regular bed quilts, and a couple of kings. In the seven years that I have been quilting (retired teacher and needed a great hobby), right now that is a little over 45 bed quilts of all sizes, 50 table toppers, and 10 baby quilts. I love the binding on each of every one and they are usually completed in the evening (several of them) sitting with the husband and during "LOTS" of watching Ohio State football on Saturdays with the hubby!!! I love that last part of the quilts with the hand-binding that I have done.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:26 AM

I would gladly pay to have the quilts sandwiched.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I really dislike sandwiching. That's the only part of quiltmaking I really hate!
Old 10-10-2017, 04:29 AM

I don't quilt, its not that I don't like to do it. I don't have a long arm, so my friend does this for me. Another friend of mine does not like bindings so I do hers. She pays me $50 for every 10 no matter the size, and I do the binding while watching or should I say listening to the blab on t.v.??
Old 10-10-2017, 06:49 AM

I realized right away that I'd not like doing the sandwiching - so I bought an LA and that solved that problem. I also use to hate binding but changed a few things and now that is simple and fast (machine binding).

Now the part I don't like is putting together the backing for the quilt. I've currently got 5 tops that need backing put with them so they can go out to the LA shed.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I really don't mind and enjoy just about all of it. Sometimes I need help in picking fabrics. Since I discovered basting the sandwich with Elmer's washable school glue that part has become a piece of cake. I also discovered the thin Crayola Ultra Washable markers for marking the tops. I do test them and they have always washed out. I don't mind sewing on the back of the binding by hand although I don't do that for baby quilts. I like the hum of the sewing machine and still working on FMQ but enjoy that too. Nothing always goes according to plans and there are glitches, but, that is part of the process for me.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 AM

I have a hard time making fancy boarders fit around the corners and match.