Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are you quilting must haves? >

What are you quilting must haves?

What are you quilting must haves?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 PM

I agree with the rotary cutter, mat and rulers, but I love the new fusion pens. I like to mark and have the lines disappear when they are ironed or rubbed off.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 PM

If I were asked this question 45 years ago when I started quilting, I would have listed: one pair of very sharp scissors for cutting fabric, another pair for cutting thick cardboards with the traced pattern blocks, good lead pencil with sharpener, and a sturdy yard stick for drawing those straight lines. Those are the things my husband's grandmother told me I must have to start quilting.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:56 PM

Thank you all again for your wonderful advice. It seems like I am on the right track since I have already purchased a 6 x 24 ruler, OLFA rotary cutter and self healing mat. Also, my machine is designed for quilters so it came with a 1/4 footer and extended table. I picked up a pair of fabric scissors but they are pretty large. I will definitely pick up a smaller pair along with some binding clips, pins and a seam ripper when I get a chance.

I have purchased fabric from Hobby Lobby to practice my techniques for my first project. However, I also have fabrics from my local quilt shop as well.

I am going to hold off on buying an iron. I have one that does what it needs to for the most part without leaking so I will hold off on making that investment.

Smooches to you all!
Old 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Under $20 - A good cutter, Over $20 - a good sized cutting mat. But I have a lot of others too. Like the flat flower pins, and directional pins, good markers, etc