Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your biggest waste of money? >

What was your biggest waste of money?

What was your biggest waste of money?

Old 02-12-2015, 05:24 PM

I love checking back on this thread every now and then to see what else has been added. This is keeping me on the straight and narrow!!! Saving my money for Fabrics not useless notions etc.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM

The Angle sheet (for sewing diagonally) and the Pounce were my worst purchases. The Angle sheet wouldn't fit properly on my original machine (probably would be fine on the Bernina, but by then, I had thrown it away). The pounce thing - I found chalk marks worked fine on small projects, but not on the large projects, which I mostly do. I have since learned to just freeform quilt, so got rid of it.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
Those stupid binding tools for joining the ends. What's worse, I have two of them. Granted, they didn't cost that much, but I found a YouTube video that showed me a fast, EASY, way to do it.

I have one of those 45* rulers for joining binding ends--I really like it. I could probably have figured it out without the ruler but it makes it pretty mindless.

Hallie in NM
Old 02-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Like Debra Mc and Sweet, the Grace Frame.....although I must say that I have found new uses for it. I use it to sandwich/pin my quilts together instead of doing it on the floor (much better on the back) and I hang my strips and projects all over the bars when not in use along with piles of stuff all over the bottom shelf.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Magazine subscriptions!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by dharinger View Post
The Flynn Quilting Frame. I even convinced my friend at the time to buy one also. I could have quilted the small quilt myself in the time that it took me to set up. I used mine once. She has never used hers.
I agree. Mr. Flynn demo-ed it at a show and his work was so cool, I bought one. I started to use it for a baby quilt for my first GD. She will be 6 next month and the quilt is still rolled on the frame.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Olfa circle cutter -- still in the package. Also some half circle templates (still in the package).

Take them out of their packages and use them......may open a new horizon for your quilting........
Old 02-13-2015, 06:08 AM

Regarding needle threaders...I have the bohin(sp)... Similar to clover but offers two sizes.......it works, not consistently, but I think it's me that doesn't hold it right when it doesn't work.....and I never, before purchase realized some needles are round eyed and others are oval eyed.....use it for hexies( EPP)
Old 02-13-2015, 06:26 AM

I have two - the rotary blade sharpener and pinking shears. I do have quite a collection of specialty rulers, which were purchased after careful consideration, no regrets there at all.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:50 PM

I have literally read every comment for 19 pages. I LOVE this thread. So many of the things people have talked about are things I have never heard of so it was nice to learn more about the options out there. Some of the things I had heard of and thought about purchasing but now might put off on. If someone more experienced hasn't used them then I probably won't either.
Can't wait to try out the all the different ruler. Although I think I will try and just buy the clear ones. I have been doing lots of research for the rotary cutters. I know I need one but don't want to spend the money on one that isn't worth it. any brand suggestions are welcome! I already have a matt but will probably buy another one as this one is dark grey and orange and hard to see.

<3Mandi<3