Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your biggest waste of money? >

What was your biggest waste of money?

What was your biggest waste of money?

Old 12-10-2016, 03:02 PM

I've learned the hard way through other hobbies. There's always the suggested items "one needs" versus those go-to products you actually use. There's also the "right now" factor and "good enough" that you figure out over time. Books were my nemesis in the past. But I make copious use of the library these days. And I find that I make better use of the books I borrow than the ones I've purchased.

These days I opt for crafty gifts instead. The majority of my hobbies are funded this way.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I love my light box... couldn't do without it for tracing applique patterns and hand embroidery patterns.
I love my light box too. When I was into calligraphy, I had my husband make me one. I used it all the time. Now I use it whenever I need to trace something. I would never get rid of it.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I'm hoping no one posts about the Electric Quilt program. I just purchased the EQ7 yesterday and can't wait to get it. I have heard a lot of caution about how it is hard to navigate and use all it's tools so I am concerned because I do not have any experience using these type of programs on the computer.

However, if I can get comfortable with it, I think it will be a huge benefit for me. I have 2 huge book cases full of fabric and don't know how to use this fabric so I'm hoping it will help me find or create quilts that will work for the type and quantity of fabric I have.
I was going to say EQ7. I'm pretty computer savvy and I've tried at least 5 times to wrap my head around that program..so there it sits..likely I'll have to pay for a program that teaches how to use it...but it's my expensive regret.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:33 AM

I have used all that I've gotten at the shows. I normally look for thread, you can get some great deals. This year at the Hampton Roads show I want to check out the new feet for my machine, and then Alex Anderson has a new cutting mat and a rotary cutter that has a little more weight, easy to change blades and made for left or right handers. If you have big purchases the shows or events are the places to go. I also will check out to see if daylight has a new light that I want there.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
I was going to say EQ7. I'm pretty computer savvy and I've tried at least 5 times to wrap my head around that program..so there it sits..likely I'll have to pay for a program that teaches how to use it...but it's my expensive regret.
I've never seen that at our show but maybe at another. I bought mine on line a few years ago and have only used it a little, it wasn't that hard but I realized I'm not going to ever make good use out of it so I'm going to sell it. I've decided this is the year to start getting rid of things that I'm not going to use. And to think twice before I buy something else. Hard to do but I'll try
Old 12-11-2016, 06:16 AM

Wow, this thread really drew a response! My biggest waste of money was all the specialty feet for my Bernina. The machine came with over a dozen already that I hardly ever use. I don't buy magazines often--do love The Sampler that visits shops--but I do look for magazines at thrift shops. I enjoy skimming those for fun projects and pass them on when I am done.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:27 AM

Mine was the John Flynn frame (never used) and specialized rulers that I bought intending to use and never have. But the rulers may get used yet!

Shadoh, you do know that the teflon pressing sheet gets soft when you press it and you can straighten it out? I used mine a lot. It's indispensible for me when I'm using any kind of fusible. I actually have 2. One for under the fabric to protect the ironing board and one for on top to protect my iron.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:31 AM

I just have a comment to make not everyone likes the same things so one can love it others may hate it. You have to make your own decisions and form your own opinions
Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Kas

Do either of you still have your Supreme Slider? Mine is getting a bit worn out and I would love a new one.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
Same here.....what a disappointment that slider was.
I would love to buy either one of your Supreme Sliders if you still have them. Mine is getting worn out and I love it!