Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite binding tool?

Quote Originally Posted by ohstr
    I purchased the binding tool from Missouri Star Quilt Company and it is a dream to use. It can also be used to make French Braid Quilts. It works really well, and was worth the cost. So many times the wonder tools are purchased andnever find their way out of a drawer or box - this in one handy little tool.
    Sue
    I bought this tool from Missouri Start Quilt Company too. It's a lifesaver when joining the two tails together. Haven't had a problem since!

Banned
    Mitred Corners on Binding
    After many dozens of bindings I have discovered the major problem with the corner is not being consistent in the seam allowance as you approach the corner. I also stop a couple stitches before i get to the 1/3" or 3/8" point and back stitch. This gives just a bit of space for the fold. The same principle as scant quarter inch in piecing. If you sew the binding on and when ready to do the final stitching and you fold the edge (corner) for the first fold of the mitre - if this section of binding that extends beyond the quilt is not parallel to the edge of the quilt, then there will be a problem and not give a good square mitre. That a lot of words to describe it but hopefully you will understand what I'm saying. Sometimes if the folded tip is far off being parallel, I will rip out the corner and restitch.

I use the perfect binding miter by Glenna - it is
    www.quiltsnstuff.net - it really helps with mitering a corner.

Yes. I would love to see your tute and pictures would be great for some of us who are new to this.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I don't use any special tool, just a couple of pins, small ruler and marking pencil. I get perfect corners every time and you can not tell where I started and ended, it looks just like any joining of strips. I will be giving a class in a few week, I will make a tutorial while preparing my samples for the class if anyone is interested.

ann
    I would love to see a tutorial on this. Thanks.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The 1/4" foot on my sewing machine always helps me get the best binding, using 2" cross-grain double-fold strips. And I stop just one stitch shy of 1/4" from the end and backstitch. Then I pull out the quilt from the machine, clip threads, fold my mitered corner, and begin stitching again. For the final joined seam, I have a tutorial on my blog here: http://quiltscapesquilting.blogspot....ng-lesson.html

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe search for my show on bindings. This is done without any tools.
    I probably have all the "special binding" tools made and found very little use for them. I do know that others have found these gadgets helpful.
    I watched Holice's video and it is very helpful! I do have a question: when you refer to the cut size of the binding strip being 6 times the width of your seam, that would be 1-1/2 inches if you had 1/4" seam, right? I know that can't be right. And if you do 3/8" seam, I think it would be 2-1/4", but I thought I heard you say 2-1/2" (although the sound quality isn't the best on my computer).

I cut binding 2.5inches if I am doubling it over and sewing one side by machine and the other by hand. If I am machine sewing it on both sides, I cut it 2 inches. Hope that helps..

Quote Originally Posted by flikkem
    I don't know if you consider it a tool but it's my book on bindings entitled Happy Endings.
    This sounds like a good book. I'll see if I can find it. Are you going to autograph it for me? I'll check Ebay. :thumbup:

I've been using the Fons and Porter binding tool. I don't know how to do it any other way. Can't wait to see the tutorials.
    I'm very interested in all of them. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    The 1/4" foot on my sewing machine always helps me get the best binding, using 2" cross-grain double-fold strips. And I stop just one stitch shy of 1/4" from the end and backstitch. Then I pull out the quilt from the machine, clip threads, fold my mitered corner, and begin stitching again. For the final joined seam, I have a tutorial on my blog here: http://quiltscapesquilting.blogspot....ng-lesson.html
    I just looked at this binding lesson. It looks like a great method to try. I better get busy so I can get something to that stage.
    :thumbup:

Would love to see your tutorial.

I use my Pfaff 1222E,1/4" foot,binding clips, straight pins to mark the corners. My bindings are all sewn by machine. I use the Kaye Wood method and never had a problem.
    The corners are sewn so that the miters are sewn in and you don't have to sew them shut.(even though quilt show judges think otherwise.)
    I sew the binding to the back of the quilt first and then turn it over the front and use either a straight stitch or a decorative stitch to sew it down.
    Sharon
    quilting since 1988 and still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    This is how I learned to sew bindings and it works great.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I don't use any special tool, just a couple of pins, small ruler and marking pencil. I get perfect corners every time and you can not tell where I started and ended, it looks just like any joining of strips. I will be giving a class in a few week, I will make a tutorial while preparing my samples for the class if anyone is interested.

ann
    Would love to see your tutorial!

Just finished using this tool and when you finish the binding with it....you will be thrilled..works magic.........

magic tool for that magic touch....
    Name:  Attachment-104059.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  54.0 KB

I ALSO WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO TAKE A LOOK AT YOU TUT.

THANKS

eunice :)

Blog Entries
    My favorite tool is a 2 1/2" ruler from Joann's. Then I use Sharon Schamber's method for joining binding at 45 angle. It's great; binding has become my favorite part of quilting now.

I don't use any 'tools' for my bindings and really
    see no reason to do so.

A tutorial would be wonderful. Just finished my first quilt and had great trouble getting them looking neat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zactanls
    I use the perfect binding miter by Glenna - it is
    www.quiltsnstuff.net - it really helps with mitering a corner.
    Just checked out her website. Love it. Looks simple enough to miter the corners (never done it this way), and I have never seen anyone join the end the way she does either. For only $5, I think I will order this one. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe search for my show on bindings. This is done without any tools.
    I probably have all the "special binding" tools made and found very little use for them. I do know that others have found these gadgets helpful.
    Holice, I watched your video. It was very informative. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie G
    I have done my bindings without any kind of tool for years. I am wondering if my quilting life would be improved by purchasing some sort of binding tool and if so, which is your favorite and why? Does the tool help with mitering, connecting the tails together (this is where I have the most difficult time) at the beginning and end, or some other function?
    Fons and Porter binding tool - helps me with connecting the tails together

I do not use binding tool. Don't even know what it is. I usually make my backing a little larger than my top and overlap and fold in the edge and sew. Makes a great finish for me.....without puckers in my material.

I would also like to see the tutorial. Mine never meet the way they should.

LauraBeth

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast