Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite binding tool?

On Jule 27, Kitsie had a tutorial on this message board on sewing binding on, and especially on starting and stopping. It is a sure method--I have tried it and love it. Maybe you can contact her some way to get the instructions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    My favorite tool is a 2 1/2" ruler from Joann's. Then I use Sharon Schamber's method for joining binding at 45 angle. It's great; binding has become my favorite part of quilting now.
    for those of you who want to see the Sharon Schamber's binding method, click here: http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...s-school-glue/

She has made binding so easy for me now, there's no need to remember formulas, or use special tools AND it works for all sizes of binding! She's meticulous and her work is beautiful.

Simply quilts showed a really good way for joining ends. i printed it out ans that's the way i do it now. perfect every time.

where did you get that cute smilie!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I don't use any special tool, just a couple of pins, small ruler and marking pencil. I get perfect corners every time and you can not tell where I started and ended, it looks just like any joining of strips. I will be giving a class in a few week, I will make a tutorial while preparing my samples for the class if anyone is interested.

ann
    I am so interested, have trouble with conecting ends together.

I'd love to read your tute!!!

Hi, my name is DiannaLynn. I'm extremely new at quilting, but I've been learining from the two older ladies that live next to me. They are both very picky and I'm glad. They just told me to make a double fold binding strip, all strips joined together with a 45degree seam. Then for mitered corners, stop a distance equal to my seam allowance, from the corner, backstitch a couple of stitches, take quilt out of machine, cut threads, fold my mitered corner so my binding edge is even to the raw edge of my next side, start stitching right where I left off. As for the joining of the end to the beginning, I overlap, mark where they overlap at an opposite 45 degree angle, cut with seam allowance, sew the two ends together, sew to quilt. Then I sew the binding to the back of the quilt by hand. I only know the way I was taught, but I like it. As a matter of fact, after piecing my blocks together, binding is my favorite part. Maybe because I know that pretty soon I can start on another one!!!! Thank you guys for being here, I'm always using this site for help!!

just an iron

Blog Entries
    My favorite tool for binding is a binder clip. You need the sheet metal ones that sort of look like a weird little purse, with handles you pinch (see picture). I use the smallest ones. I have friends in our quilt guild that use the next size larger, but which ever works for you. I get mine from dollar stores or office supply stores. I tried to use the 'hair clippies' that some one recommended, but my thread kept catching on them. I cut my binding 2.5", fold in half lengthwise and Press, not iron. I sew them around the edge with the binding cut edges to the edge of the quilt. Fold over, secure with binder clips, and hand stitch. To get help with binding, Google 'bind a quilt'. You can even find how to make the edges fit together neatly, and mitering the corners. I think I learned how by watching Nancy Zieman. Do not forget to run your hand stitching thread through beeswax to make it glide. (To the quilt police...I don't care if you no longer use beeswax, I do!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't use any special tool, just a couple of pins, small ruler and marking pencil. I get perfect corners every time and you can not tell where I started and ended, it looks just like any joining of strips. I will be giving a class in a few week, I will make a tutorial while preparing my samples for the class if anyone is interested.

ann
    Would definitely love to see how you do this!

would ,ove to see a tute on binding! Always find mitered corners frustrating. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    My favorite tool for binding is a binder clip. You need the sheet metal ones that sort of look like a weird little purse, with handles you pinch (see picture). I use the smallest ones. I have friends in our quilt guild that use the next size larger, but which ever works for you. I get mine from dollar stores or office supply stores. I tried to use the 'hair clippies' that some one recommended, but my thread kept catching on them. I cut my binding 2.5", fold in half lengthwise and Press, not iron. I sew them around the edge with the binding cut edges to the edge of the quilt. Fold over, secure with binder clips, and hand stitch. To get help with binding, Google 'bind a quilt'. You can even find how to make the edges fit together neatly, and mitering the corners. I think I learned how by watching Nancy Zieman. Do not forget to run your hand stitching thread through beeswax to make it glide. (To the quilt police...I don't care if you no longer use beeswax, I do!)
    Haha, love it! I use beeswax, too! I do have some Thread Heaven to keep in my to-go kit since it's so small and fits better but I keep the beeswax in my quilting bag. And I've only been quilting for a year now so if it's taboo already, I'm in trouble. :lol:

My husband made me a binding winder and it sits on my sewing machine and the binding comes off the roller as I sew and that is the best thing, no twisting, I wind my binding on it and away I go.

me too

I will be starting the turtorial tomorrow, Thrusday. I like my binding and don't mind doing them. Why spend $ on special tools. I do attach using my walking foot, and hand sew to the back. My only 'special' tools are the binding clips.

I use the perfect binding miter by Glenna - it is
    www.quiltsnstuff.net - it really helps with mitering a corner.

Just checked out her website. Love it. Looks simple enough to miter the corners (never done it this way), and I have never seen anyone join the end the way she does either. For only $5, I think I will order this one. Thanks

You are very welcome - I bought a bunch of the mitering tools for my quilting group - they are happy with them also

i'm interested - sound great

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie G
    I have done my bindings without any kind of tool for years. I am wondering if my quilting life would be improved by purchasing some sort of binding tool and if so, which is your favorite and why? Does the tool help with mitering, connecting the tails together (this is where I have the most difficult time) at the beginning and end, or some other function?
    I swear by hairclips now. Easy to apply & easy to remove as I stitch the final step. Holds the folded binding very well. Just this morn. I used an online site when I did a search for "mitered corners for quilts". I found a video that clearly walked me through it.

I wouldn't do a binding without the Binding Gizmo. One place you can see it is at:
    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ok+and+tool.do
    Or maybe you can do a search.
    My niece, my sister, and I just love it and wouldn't be without. Good luck.

I have never used a tool. I figured it takes too much time, I have learned thru trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    My sewing machine! Oh and a extra fine pin for marking my 1/4" at ever corner!
    When sewing on binding & I get to the corner, I stop 1/4" for the ened, turn quilt and sew out to tip of the corner....there's my miter!
    I do this and I think that by sewing diagonally into the corner, it helps keep the batting flat when you turn the corners, allowing for an easier mitre on the other side.

Ann,
    I would be very interested in how you do your bindings with a tutorial if you can do that.
    Joan

Blog Entries
    I just got the binding tool from MissouriQuilt Co. and I LOVE it for the beginning and ending. But I will be interested in seeing the tuturial on it. When will it be?

Blog Entries
    certainly will be looking forward to the tutorial on binding....it is my real buggaboo, and after making something really nice,,, I hate to bind for fear of wrecking the whole thing....thanks for your offer!!!

jacie

Blog Entries

ann
    I am definitely interested. This is my weak spot too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast