Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your favorite color combinations for quilting? >

What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 AM

If monochromatic I always go to blue though I have started seeing some pinks and purples that have enough options to make a beautiful monochromatic. Otherwise I go with almost anything. So often I find that the fabrics I disliked turn into some beautiful quilts that the recipients love and highly treasure. The only quilt I made my self is a kaleidoscope in dark, medium and light greens, blues, pinks and browns. It is made with 2" HST.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 AM

Jewel tones and black.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM

I guess I am old-fashioned too. I prefer quilts that will be used so I like restful quilts. I truly do not want my quilts to POP!! LOL
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Here I go on the subject of favorite colors for my quilts. I have none! That being said I love blues and yellows, black and white prints, purples and green and yellow and pink. If you looked at my extensive stash, you would know I love all colors. I teach a color class. I have each person pick a focal colored print. Usually big bold with many colors in it. Then we shop the fat quarters or bolts if I do this class in a quilt shop. Then we all critique our choices. It helps so many learn how color works. How one color pulls us in when another pushes us away. I am fond of saying, I have never meet a color I didn't like. Yes we get into a comfort zone. You can tell by the scraps you have. I love scrap quilts for the very reason that they have many many colors. Bonnie Hunter uses multiple colors in her scrap quilts the more the merrier for her. Look at her web site for inspiration. It is difficult to come out of that comfort zone. So instead of a large quilt try new colors in a smaller project. Like seasonal table runners or purses or wall hangings. Start slowly and build to a bed size quilt. Soon you may be just like me. Meeting all the colors equally! Have fun. Luann
Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM

I love all colors of fabric, but I seem to be in a very yellow mood lately, and I find its my favorite color
Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 AM

This is hard for me as I have always loved color's. all colors. I have made quilts from every range of colors and been happy with them all. I guess I may lean more to fall colors as I can hardly leave a fabric store without some of those colors.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 AM

I love all the colours of the rainbow!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I've ever met a fabric I didn't like. That said, I lean more towards purples, teals, batiks, but I just finished a black/white log cabin which I love. The only colors I tend to shy away from are browns and beiges, although I just made a kit that had mostly browns, beiges and greens with lots of kitty fabric, and I do like it. I guess it just depends on the particular mood I'm in or whether I'm making it for someone with specific colors in mind.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 AM

I tend to go for the autumn colors or country colors. I have been trying to mix it up this past year. I have worked with batiks a few times this year and loved the quilts. I'm a traditional quilter at heart and have been making as many quilts as I can just because I love making them. My stash hAs lots of colors because I've been making my self buy moda marbles and have not regretted it. The color that screams at you in my sewing room would have to be green! Love love green and incorporate green in most of my quilts
Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 AM

My tastes are all over the place. I love Kaffe Fassett's "Bordered Diamonds"
I love a beautiful Civil War Quilts- the deep tans, burgundies, blues, greens...
Having said that, when I actually BUY fabric, I tend to always lean very much toward "pretty florals" for some silly reason. Maybe because I was young in the 80s when it was all the rage...
So these days, when actually buying fabric, I'm leaning toward these styles:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]410933[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails untitled.png