Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite colors to make a quilt? Fabrics?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    All of them. Depends on what I'm making. I have trouble with solid orange (yes, I'm in TN, but we don't ALL like orange), and solid browns. If they are in a print I have no problem.
    Just make mine country.

I love most fabrics and colors, except the dreaded 60's-90's prints and color combos. I am not a fan of paisley with green brown and orange. especially when the green is a sickly olive green. I do like the colors separately however.even combined in a quilt might be pretty depending on how they were combined.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    All of them. Depends on what I'm making. I have trouble with solid orange (yes, I'm in TN, but we don't ALL like orange), and solid browns. If they are in a print I have no problem.
    Just make mine country.
    Me too! I don't buy any solids. Love just about all colors but I gravitate towards the country prints. :thumbup:

Autumn and earthy colours for me.

Purples and greens and blues.
    I like clear colors, not so much into the civil war, 1930's or antiqued colors.

I like all colors but I tend to lean towards autumn colors for my own things. I am working on a BOM where dark purple batik is the main color and it is coming out nicely. I just finished a lap quilt with bright oranges, yellow, pink, green and blue that came out cute. I have a hard time with red so I am going to make a black and white quilt with a little red in it to get over it. LOL!

I'm new to quilting...well sorta new. Decision for colors has had to be determined by the design and who it will go to. I just finished a beautiful pink/black/white one for special niece...chose those colors 'cause they're her favorites. She doesn't know she's getting it yet!!! She's 8 years old. Soon as I learn to post pics I'll do that.

I am very partial to autumn/darker fabrics and earth tones. Fall is my favorite time of the year! For some reason I shy away from brights and pastels.

Blog Entries
    Never, never ever pastels. Other than that I really don't have a favorite. Different colors attract me on different shopping days. If I always purchase what I like, ultimately it all goes together. Sometimes I purchase mostly darks, the next time I might purchase mostly brights. I am always amazed when I get home and put it in my stash -- its all blends together with just the right "POP".

Well, so far ive only been making them for my girls and a pregnant friend....

i really love autumn colors and eventually plan to make something for myself soon :D i hope

Blog Entries
    I'm with you, harvest colors are the ones I love and buy most often and most often fabric by Moda.

Banned
    I don't really have a favorite. There isn't any colour that doesn't appeal to me - what I choose depends on what I'm making.

I love all shades of blue and indeed have a whole drawer packed full of nothing but blue. I tend to make scrap quilts tho because I can't make myself limit my colors in one quilt. I greatly admire antique quilts with 2 or 3 colors in them. I also collect fabrics with gold threads and have those in all colors.

Same here!

For my quilts I love all colors - but I don't like black. This is very hard to hand quilt because it seems to "swallow" all the light you need for quilting!

Banned
    I use all colors except orange. My favorites are purple and turquoise.

Blog Entries
    Blue for me. So many things go with the color blue.

I have loved blue for nearly all my life. But in last little while I have realized that I also love Earth colors, rich rusty browns, hunter greens and others like that. The last two tops that I have made have been browns and tans. Yummy.

I'm not much for pastels, but I do love wild, funky pieces in bright colors. I challenge myself sometimes by buying a piece (small piece!) of something "off the wall", and forcing myself to use it...I have been pleasantly suprised, and now find that 99% of my fabric prejudice has disappeared!

Dkm
    Really, anything but blue. Because my husband(being a wonderful man) loves blue I have made him two blue and yellow quilts. However, I try not to use them often. LOL

I tend to use pink! but I love any bright color with black that makes the colors pop out!

Blog Entries
    I really like them all. scrappy is probably my favorite.

My all time favorites are Lilac, Sage Green, and orangie yellow together. I like most all colors tho.

I do a lot of pinks and purples for my DGDs. I tend to like bright colors, I don't usually like the dark quilts. I am getting ready to do one in blue and yellow and I am working on one in red, white, and blue.

I have been making quilts for my children and grand children so I go with colors that they will like. I love the batiks and will be making one with different colored stars after I finish the two ive started.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast