Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

Banned
    My 8" round revolving rotary board from Pat Yamin at Come Quilt with Me

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    My favorite things are my rotary cutter (which the grimlins stole and won't give back) My cut and press board and my brother LS-30. And my kids glue sticks.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm..

I cant just name one so I have to say I love all my rulers and templates.. my Olfa retractable blade rotary cutters 45/60, Gingher scissors & snippit, my 29x52 cutting mat, my empty sq kleenex box for snipped treads and whatnots.. oh my list goes on and on...

This past Saturday my LQS shop had a 15% off sale on the employee favorites. They were: Heat N Bond, the rotary cutter, the Easy Angle ruler, the Quilting Puzzles and mine was the forked pins.... we sold out of the forked pins!

The owner loves the beautiful quilting puzzles and we had a bit of a competition for sales that day. Her puzzles vs my forked pins. Every time I would demo the forked pins... they bought them!

Try them... you will love them!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingQueen
    This past Saturday my LQS shop had a 15% off sale on the employee favorites. They were: Heat N Bond, the rotary cutter, the Easy Angle ruler, the Quilting Puzzles and mine was the forked pins.... we sold out of the forked pins!

The owner loves the beautiful quilting puzzles and we had a bit of a competition for sales that day. Her puzzles vs my forked pins. Every time I would demo the forked pins... they bought them!

What are forked pins? Hope this isn't a silly question!

Do you think the glue sticks would work lining up the OBW's?Instead of having to pin them?

I just started so i cant say yet i have been eyeing that rotateing cutting mate though
    HUGS Dora

Kas
    For hand piecing I love the Clover needle threader. It is a life saver! And I love my rotary cutters for sure!

Blog Entries
    I like my Gingher cutter --although I use the Olfa blades in it. The weight makes it less effort to cut through several layers of fabric. rotary Cutters and mats have been the best inventions I do believe. Add walking feet, darning feet, flat head pins --those with the flowers, fabric yardage in quilt shops rather than weaving your own --although there is a place for your own homespun, etc.

Glue sticks work great for applique also. I love the wash away thread and my add a quarter ruler for paper peicing.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy519
    Glue sticks work great for applique also. I love the wash away thread and my add a quarter ruler for paper peicing.
    Can you please explain how you use it in applique? I been thinking of trying applique and am very intimidated by it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use the glue stick instead of pinning anything so the OBW ok. I am going to do one of those as soon as I get caught up and finish my quilt for the quilt hsow this month. LOL.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I also make my own stilleto's by using a skewer and adding nice beads I buy. These make wonderful gifts for fellow quilters at meetings, bees, etc. I will post pictures of some tomorrow/today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use one of those wedge door stops under the rear of my machine to tilt it, makes so much difference.. very cheap, and less backache as I can see the stitiching so much easier. My favourite for now, will be different another time I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingQueen

What are forked pins? Hope this isn't a silly question!
    I too like to know what forked pins are.

I use glue sticks and regular school glue. I use the glue stick a lot when paper piecing the first fabric and for lining up any seam lines. I bought the purple glue that dries clear when Walmart had their school sales. Two tubes for 25 cents! I don't have kids so didn't need the bigger package.

Not sure if she means the same fork pins I use, but I love mine too! They are made by Clover and come in a small package of 35 for about $9.50. I bought mine on sale at Connecting Threads much cheaper. They are great for lining up seams and holding them in place. They are U shaped so you pin once and can get both sides of a seam. I've been using the same ones for years, so even though they sound expensive, they are worth it.

They look a little like the old fashioned hairpins, two straight wires about 1/4 inch apart.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Most of you have already said my favs but I'm getting new ideas so thank you all!!
    Carrie, just think of all the things your kids have stolen from you and you're off the hook ha ha ha
    I'll add one thing here- those dots you put on the underside of the rulers- I love them!!

My favorites are: door stops at the back of my machine, my fork pins, a UHU glue stick, silk pins. Love my OmniGrip rulers, and big cutting mat.
    Thanks to all for sharing! Fun to see what everyone likes! :)

Blog Entries
    That Purple Thang!

One of my most favorite tools is my hemostat. That's the clamp that surgeons use to clamp off blood vessels before they tie them off during surgery. Kept mine from my nurse's days. You can probably find them in a hospital or uniform suplly store. They work great for pulling up the bobbin thread, for pulling the loop through the needle for self-threading machines, for holding the machine needle when changing it, and for a lot of other things where it's just too small to get our fingers in.

I use wash away stabilizer and cut my peices out glue my fabric to the stabilizer press with dry iron then glue to my background fabric and then sew it down with a button stitch.

My favorites are Best Press, glue stick or appli-glue, rotating mat and lint roller.

My most essential things are my tiny pair of scissors and my seam ripper! The scissors are really tiny enough to use for seam ripping, but I'm afraid of cutting the fabric. I always make sure they both are close at hand. I also keep a lintroller nearby to grab little pieces of thread. Lol. These things probably didn't cost 10 dollars all together!

SittingPretty--I have a pair of hemostats always! If y'all know anyone who works in a hospital or clinic--I'm sure you can get a free pair! If a surgical kit is opened here, whatever isn't used is tossed, so they are easy to come by. I'm always losing a drawstring into the waistband and they are great for retrieval! I need to pick up another set to keep by my machine for pulling up the loop of thread.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast