Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

I also never heard of forked pins. Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I wonder if the Ghinger (sp) rotary cutter stays sharper longer, I know the scissors do. Just a thought.
    Have one, mine didn't stay any sharper than the Olfa or Fiskars' and the blades are very expensive over 10$ each at JoAnns

I use glue sticks to hold my binding and can sew both sides with one stitching. I've only done this on lap quilts sew far!

Definitely my walking foot!

I also make my own stilleto's by using a skewer and adding nice beads I buy. These make wonderful gifts for fellow quilters at meetings, bees, etc. I will post pictures of some tomorrow/today.
    A small size knitting needle makes a great stilleto!

I just bought some fork pins this past weekend at Joann's (with a 40% off coupon). Love love love the pins, they work so good!! Its made a world of difference for this newbie! (I was bonding with my seam ripper way to much...lol)

I'm just at the stage in making a quilt top where that glue stick tip will really be a help. I'm going to a quilting center today and will buy one there -- won't be near a dollar store where I'm sure I'd save money. But, I'll bet even an expensive one would work.

Blog Entries
    I just recently started using a glue stick for the pillow cases that I make. You have to fold in the unfinished edge of the top of the pillow case, then tuck it inside and sew on top, hoping to catch the folded edge. (can't tell you how many frustrating unsewing I had to do) I now use the glue stick and voila, no more missed edges!!!

I guess I'd include a seam ripper - hate using them, but when they are needed, I'd certainly hate to be without one.

Please share the glue stick trick. I have not seen that one yet.

I also make my own stilleto's by using a skewer and adding nice beads I buy. These make wonderful gifts for fellow quilters at meetings, bees, etc. I will post pictures of some tomorrow/today.
    Super idea with the beads. I have wood dowel that I cut down into shorter pieces and then ran one end in the pencil sharpner and that is my stilleto. Beads! Great idea and also as stocking stuffers for quilting/sewing buddies.

I put them in the drawer of my sewing table and with the number showing on top can't loose hem. Even put some sewing needles in especially the ones I use the most.

I love sewing gadgets. I can't live with out my rotary cutters and big mat. I keep a small mat by the sewing machine. Different size rulers, walking foot, water spray bottle by the iron, zippers, my good scissors and my little scissors. Guess I have a lot of favorites. My bobbin winder too.

Besides rotary cutters and mat, Bendable Bright Light that sticks to side of machine and Purple Thang. http://www.createforless.com/Big+Foo...utm_medium=cse

I really like Clover brand Black Gold needles for hand piecing my Grandma's flower garden hexagons. There are only 6 in the package, and pierce smoothly through fabric, as claimed.

I love self threading needles for working in thethreads after quilting.

Blog Entries
    I sure would like to see a tute about the glue sticks. You know a picture is worth a thousand words. I am a visual person.

Quote Originally Posted by foxxigrani
    I was going to mention the june taylor shape cutter, but someone already did. I have trouble cutting my strips, this has helped me and is so fast. I love the darn thing.

Rita
    I hear you Rita!!!! Love that thing too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter64779
    I like my magnet want dont have to stoop over. I also use tic tac boxes to hold a bobbin of thread when I am binding a quilt so I don't loose it. Also store needles in them and put the size on top don't have to look far.
    Great idea...I need a system to keep track of needles better!
    I mounted an 18" magnetic knife holder on the wall behind my work table. It holds all sorts of tools I use for sewing; screwdrivers, bobbins, sewing feet, scissors, needles, bodkins, tweezers, seam ripper. It keeps them within easy reach, and helps keep them from getting buried.

i bought a Gingher rotary cutter last year on sale at Joanne's and cut myself right away. It is so much sharper I put it away for now. I am sure you could learn to use it but it is sharp. Probably last longer too.

I agree!!!

Blog Entries
    My favorite is the pair of bed raisers that I used to raise up my cutting table. No more aching back and shoulders.

Blog Entries
    OK. I was doing a bargello in the class and she gave us each a glue stick and instead of pinning, we dabbed a little glue on the seam all the way across, then when we matched the other piece all we did was give it a little push and they locked together. Then when we sewed the fabric worked itself in and each seam lined up perfectly. My bargello seams all matched. Amazingly so. Learn a lot by taking classes. Thanks for sharing. The glue just disappears into lalaland and does not gum up your machine. Since then, I have noticed the glue stick in lots of others tools of the quilt trade. Any brand is fine.
    I'm kinda slow, I guess. :( I can't seem to get the picture. Any way to show a picture? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Hey Craftybear, you never told us which one is your favorite.

Blog Entries
    Oops, just saw your reply... i spoke too soon! Sowwy.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast