Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

Glue stick???? Please do share this knowledge... sounds very intriguing.. Doesn't it gum up your needle???

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Let's see, I love my rotary cutting board that goes in circles, and I love my light that is attached to the side of my machine so I can see better, and I love my glue sticks for getting the seams to line up perfectly, a trick I learned in a class. This is great. I know I have more favrotites but these are first. ANd I love the Sewing machine lifter my DH made me. Makes it so much better n my back not to have to lean up so far. Thank you.

Sharon Schambers uses gle on everything. She uses the glue stick and elmer's with a tiny tip. On applique you can use it to hold the 1/4" under and then place it with the glue.

My favorite things in addition to the usual is my frosted ruler, my serrated scissors, walking foot, glue, and starch.

I learned about the starch from you all and it's one of the best tips I've leaned lately. It makes it so much easier to match seams.

Bev
    I love my square revolving cutting mat. I cut a lot of small pieces for scrap quilts and crazy quilts. The revolving mat makes life so much easier for me.
    Someone else mentioned the light that you stick on the side of your machine, and I have one too. This is as important to me as the mat, maybe more so. Before I got it I could never see well enough. The light on my Janome 760 is very poor. This little lamp solved the problem big time! 8-)

Power Poster
    Probably my 2 rotary cutters and my well about 6 diffrent mats.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by lhavelka
    Quote Originally Posted by foxxigrani
    I was going to mention the june taylor shape cutter, but someone already did. I have trouble cutting my strips, this has helped me and is so fast. I love the darn thing.

Rita
    I hear you Rita!!!! Love that thing too!
    I just recently got one, and I agree! It's terrific. Also there's a tute on line for those who want to see how it's done.

I would say my large cutting matt, 24 x 36 inch and my rotary cutters are my favorites...I also like my walking foot and by 1/4 inch guide foot.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
    I just saw a video on YouTube for June Tailor's Shape-Cut Plus...Holy Cow!!! That is one tool i would just love to own. I will have to save up some money for that one. What an awesome tool.
    Wait for a 50% off coupon at Joann's as I did and it'll be very affordable.

8-)

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewslow
    Besides rotary cutters and mat, Bendable Bright Light that sticks to side of machine and Purple Thang. http://www.createforless.com/Big+Foo...utm_medium=cse
    That Purple Thang has always made me wonder. How on earth can it do anything that the old-fashioned home made gadgets can't do? I'm really curious. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    I was going to mention the june taylor shape cutter, but someone already did. I have trouble cutting my strips, this has helped me and is so fast. I love the darn thing.

Rita
    I just recently got one, and I agree! It's terrific. Also there's a tute on line for those who want to see how it's done.
    This really interests me, but I have a question. How do you keep this from shifting? The larger ruler I use sometimes shifts, it seems as if your hand would not be able to control movement and how do you hold it down ?

Quote Originally Posted by loopywren
    I use one of those wedge door stops under the rear of my machine to tilt it, makes so much difference.. very cheap, and less backache as I can see the stitiching so much easier. My favourite for now, will be different another time I expect.
    This one I have to try, I have artheritis in my back and it aches more this year

Quote Originally Posted by patdesign
    I wonder if the Ghinger (sp) rotary cutter stays sharper longer, I know the scissors do. Just a thought.
    Have one, mine didn't stay any sharper than the Olfa or Fiskars' and the blades are very expensive over 10$ each at JoAnns
    The harbor Frieght blades work great in the Ghinger's they do in mine

Let's see, I love my rotary cutting board that goes in circles, and I love my light that is attached to the side of my machine so I can see better, and I love my glue sticks for getting the seams to line up perfectly, a trick I learned in a class. This is great. I know I have more favrotites but these are first. ANd I love the Sewing machine lifter my DH made me. Makes it so much better n my back not to have to lean up so far. Thank you.
    What is a sewing machine lifter? How did your husband make one? Do you have a picture? Thanks. My back hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Derla
    I'm going to look for one of those self threading needles. I'd never heard of them before.
    There are a few brands. Fons and Porter have them too! They are great for working in the thread ends for FMQ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    Maybe you could do a tutorial on the glue sticks for getting the seams to line up perfectly. :thumbup: :thumbup: Please, pretty Please :!:

Ditto on the tutorial! For the life of me, I can't figure out where the glue is being put and how it comes into play when matching seams. HELP! Did I mention I'm blonde (ha!ha! - as a child; now I'm silver!)

Josi in FL

Thank you for the great glue stick tip....will try it tomorrow!!

My faves are the Simplicity bias tape maker, rotary cutters, cutting mats, walking foot & the list goes on! Thank you Deb for the glue stick tip. I'll be trying it for sure

THIS being page ten or so, I've not read everyone's favorite gadgets...forgive me if I repeat their suggestion. Lately I've enjoyed the "bed raisers" which I use underneath my dining room table's legs when doing my fabric cutting...whether it's using rotary cutter for quilting, or cutting out dress patterns. I'm tall, and the continual bending used to wear out my back terribly. These come in two parts...so one can raise "legs: 3" or 5" or (combined) 8". . . isn't that cool? It is easy to get my DH to work with me and place them and remove them as desired. They support LOTS of weight...very safe. ($11 at WalMart).

Quote Originally Posted by ajonkarl
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev

Rita
    This really interests me, but I have a question. How do you keep this from shifting? The larger ruler I use sometimes shifts, it seems as if your hand would not be able to control movement and how do you hold it down ?
    You have alot more control over it than a ruler. I have been using it for over 6 months now and it has never shifted and given me problems. Well worth the money especially with a Joann coupon. I am going to look into the plus size one. The only thing that I wish is that it is longer, maybe the plus one does just that.

Blog Entries
    I love the June Tailor Shape Cut, too. I love my 12 inch on so much that I just ordered the larger one. Got it at JoAnn's on sale. It cuts beautiful strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    I love the June Tailor Shape Cut, too. I love my 12 inch on so much that I just ordered the larger one. Got it at JoAnn's on sale. It cuts beautiful strips.
    I have the 1/2 inch cuts and also that one that cuts 1/4 inch cuts. I looked them up and saw that the really big one only cuts in 2 1/2 inch increments. The plus one is 12x18.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    I have the 1/2 inch cuts and also that one that cuts 1/4 inch cuts. I looked them up and saw that the really big one only cuts in 2 1/2 inch increments. The plus one is 12x18.
    The big one that I bought is the Tailor Exact Eights. It cuts 2 7/8, 3 7/8, 4 7/8, 3 3/8, 4 3/8, 5 3/8, then rotate ruler and sub-cut squares. Color and shape coded slots. Cut up to 4 layers at a time. Looks good but I've not used it yet.

My newest gadget is a battery powered LED Ott task light with LOTS of little LED lights that provide amazing light. It is small enough to easily take to class and you don't have to worry about yet another electrical cord. I got it at Office Mart and paid 20.00 for it. My other newest gadget is the BlocLoc. It is used for squaring up HST. Its magic is a groove on the back that locks on the diagonal seam. For the first time I have perfectly squared HST. And I know they are perfect, because I saw them with my new light!

Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Sharp rotary blades and the Easy Square Jr. http://www.createforless.com/Wrights.../pid67797.aspx It works so nicely for squaring up small blocks.

And I wish I could afford to change my rotary blade every day. It makes all the difference to cut with something sharp and effortless. I want it to cut through like soft "buttah." Through six layers! Is that asking too much?!
    Have you tried the 2 pak of blades for $1.99 at Harbor freight store.They are cheap enough that you can change the blade often if you want. They are called carpet rotary blades. I love them, especially for the price. I just rain checked another 10 packs.

I used liquid stitch on a seam and then I thought I should sew it. No need to sew, you couldn't budge it. From what I'm told it won't wash out, but a little to expensive to use on all seams.

Hugs,
    Loretta

Blog Entries
    My personal favorite is the Add-a-Quarter ruler. When I started to paper piece, it really helped me. You fold back the paper, put the quarter seam side down and rotary cut along the edge. Your trimmed edge is quarter of an inch without moving the whole mess (paper and fabric).

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast