Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

Blog Entries
    I also make my own stilleto's by using a skewer and adding nice beads I buy.
    ------------------------------------
    Okay, I've heard several people mention stilletos, and all that comes to my mind is foot torturing high heels!!
    Could you please explain this?
    ---------------------------------------------
    My personal favorites are the white paper behind the machine needle eye for threading, and the Side Winder to fill bobbins.

Blog Entries
    What is a "stilleto", and OBW?

The larger Shape-Cut plus by June Tailor.

Blog Entries
    I just saw a video on YouTube for June Tailor's Shape-Cut Plus...Holy Cow!!! That is one tool i would just love to own. I will have to save up some money for that one. What an awesome tool.

I mounted an 18" magnetic knife holder on the wall behind my work table. It holds all sorts of tools I use for sewing; screwdrivers, bobbins, sewing feet, scissors, needles, bodkins, tweezers, seam ripper. It keeps them within easy reach, and helps keep them from getting buried.[/quote]

What an excellent idea. If I ever get my sewing room together, I'll have to use one.

Aren't they wonderful. I also like to hand piece with them.

Blog Entries
    I have a new favorite: a "cheater" needle. It is also called a self-threading needle. When burying thread ends after machine quilting, this needle is much faster than my previous method of using a heavier thread and using it to "lasso" the ends I want to pull thru. The cheater has a notched end above the eye, with a slot that connects into the eye. You pull the thread ends down into the notch and then they slide thru the slot and into the eye. I have had some trouble using it with "Sulky" thread, as that thread is rather fragile, but in general, I think it's great. Brand is Clover. I bought mine from Leah Day's Day Style Designs ( http://www.daystyledesigns.com/quiltshop.htm). I looked at our local shops, but no one had even heard of this.

My favorite gadgets would have to be the Pro Seam Ripper set my DH gave me for Christmas last year. You will just have to read about it to understand why they're such neat tools.

Here's the website.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...?p=58722&cat=2,40725,62560

My rotray cutter and mats. Have used them for yrs. My seam ripper too.

Blog Entries
    I have used glue stick for years to hold my binding in place in stead of pins sticking me. I also use school glue which I find a little easier and heat press it as I go and it sets the binding so I can stitch it down and it completely washes out. I started doing this when I was working on a crazy quilt made from my grandsons outgrown clothes and just could not get the knits to hold in place while I stitched.I was doing this at a quilt retreat and received the nickname the glue stick lady.SInce then I use it on bindings and whenever I have a problem seam. I find that heat setting it works wonders.

Judy in lower Michigan

Oh, I have some hemostats and they are great! I have the best little scissors and I love my rotary cutter! Plus I just love those little binding clips that look like hair clips. They are the best invention since ice cream!

I'm going to look for one of those self threading needles. I'd never heard of them before.

Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    Do you think the glue sticks would work lining up the OBW's?Instead of having to pin them?

I love the idea of using glue sticks,but I haven't been quilting long and when you gals use abreviated letters instead of the words, I have no clue what they stand for. What is OBWs? If for a while you all would maybe type the word after it, us new quilters would catch on quicker. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Derla
    I guess I'd include a seam ripper - hate using them, but when they are needed, I'd certainly hate to be without one.
    So my newest favorite toy is Alex Anderson's 4 in 1 tool - seam ripper on one end, stilletto on the other end. It's made of wood and square so it doesn't roll. The cover for the seam ripper is a wooden iron, and the cover for the stilletto is a pointer to poke out those corners when turning things right side out. It's wonderful! :thumbup:

I use a cuticle remover tool to pick stitches, no more fear of poking through my fabric. Kinda like this http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cuticle-R...her/SBS-164200,default,pd.html but plain brown

I love my elna 7300 machine it does all the good things
    one needs to do, like the idea of the glue stick,please let me know where you could,obtain these self threading needles for the sewing machine,I have heard of the hand self threading needles I like my glass head pins they so sharp.

Yes, please do share more about the glue sticks and how you use them.

Crafty Bear...
    Thank you for bring this up as a thread...I've learn so much already. What a great idea. Kudos to you.

I suppose that my favorites also are the cutter and mats. I have a very large rotating one that is wonderful. But I mostly use the 35 by 40 regular one.
    I love my snip sissors for sewing. No holes to get my fingers stuck in.
    My quarter inch foot with the fabric guide is a must now too.
    Clover stelleto, tiny iron and smallish iron mat so I don't have to get up to press across the room.

And here is my tip if you can't find the sewing machine needles that you barely use and have to change out. I bought a tomato pin cushion and wrote on the little quadrants the numbers of the sizes I use. Then I just push the slightly used needle into the pie shape with the right number. Easy as pie to find it now!

Great idea . just tell the kids the Gremlins did it

Now is the time to buy glue stick as walmart has a huge sale on it since school has started, buy up a lot and put it in the freezer to keep so it doesn't dry out, takes only a few minutes to thaw out to use.

What a wonderful idea on the sewing machine needles..See. that's why I love this site...thanks so much for sharing. I have been sewing for years off and on and definitely do not consider myself an expert...just started quilting several years ago so it's great to get all the latest updates on what is new. Thank you all for sharing

Two rubber door stops. Put under the back side of the machine so it tips it up a bit in back. Makes for a nice slightly elevated sewing area.
    Also a door peep hole. You can look through it and get perspective on your quilt. You can see if you need to move blocks as its like looking at the quilt from across a room.

Quote Originally Posted by SittingPretty
    One of my most favorite tools is my hemostat. That's the clamp that surgeons use to clamp off blood vessels before they tie them off during surgery. Kept mine from my nurse's days. You can probably find them in a hospital or uniform suplly store. They work great for pulling up the bobbin thread, for pulling the loop through the needle for self-threading machines, for holding the machine needle when changing it, and for a lot of other things where it's just too small to get our fingers in.
    They also have them for low costs at Harbor Freight. Which, by the way, I never heard of until this board, and now I'm a frequent shopper!

Just added a magnetic knife holder and June Taylor ruler to my shopping list...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast