Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

Speaking of gadgets, etc. - Can anyone advise me regarding Martelli ErgoCutter 2000? I've had "carpel tunnel" issues at times (not too much lately thankfully). Somewhere I read these rotary cutters were better for wrists, etc. Considering purchasing one, but I am wondering a couple things: First, do they have a safety guard (cannot tell in photos) and secondly, how did the transition go for folks who use this equipment. (oh, and 45mm or 60mm?) I would appreciate your advise folks. Thanks for any help.

Keepsake Quilting carries the side by side 1/4 inch seam allowance gadget.

Blog Entries
    Aboout the hemostats - there is a guy at our local flea market that sells small tools scissors hemostats etc and he is there every weekend- if there is a flea market near you it may be worth checking out - I'd even be glad to get them for anyone who wants them - just let me know - curved and/or straight edge -dh uses them too for small projects

Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewslow
    Besides rotary cutters and mat, Bendable Bright Light that sticks to side of machine and Purple Thang. http://www.createforless.com/Big+Foo...utm_medium=cse
    That Purple Thang has always made me wonder. How on earth can it do anything that the old-fashioned home made gadgets can't do? I'm really curious. :roll:
    That's what I thought until I got one. I wear it on a narrow ribbon around my neck so it's always handy, the flattened curved tip holds fabric down better than wood skewer I used to use, and slides seams smoothly under presser foot.

Blog Entries
    I was having trouble with my rulers slipping and a friend told me about "invisa-grip" it is a clear clingy film that you can cut into narrow strips and stick it to your rulers and they don't slip - I put it on all my rulers including sy shape cutter and like I said it is clear - you could probably get some thin clingy film at walmart but not sure how that would work out

I too love my new Clover needle threader. I also use the Thimblelady needles which are thinner and longer making it easier to hang onto with 80 year old fingers than a between; however, the needle eye is very very small which is very difficult for the 80 year old eyes to see and fingers that are not as steady as they used to be. For me this is a real stress saver.

Quote Originally Posted by cimarron
    Speaking of gadgets, etc. - Can anyone advise me regarding Martelli ErgoCutter 2000? I've had "carpel tunnel" issues at times (not too much lately thankfully). Somewhere I read these rotary cutters were better for wrists, etc. Considering purchasing one, but I am wondering a couple things: First, do they have a safety guard (cannot tell in photos) and secondly, how did the transition go for folks who use this equipment. (oh, and 45mm or 60mm?) I would appreciate your advise folks. Thanks for any help.
    I did some research on the 45mm Martelli Cutter and I am going to buy one for my MIL and myself for Christmas. They have a website. I also watched some videos. Just search for it and I bet you will have all the info you need to make a decision.

Well, on my sewing table within immediate reach, are:

1) Rotary cutter
    2) Large cutting mat
    3) 6-1/2" EZ Square (used so much that the markings are coming off!)
    4) Seam ripper
    5) Cheap pair of scissors (used to trim paper when paper-piecing)
    6) Gingher scissors (inherited from my Granny - for cutting fabric only)
    7) 12-1/2" square template
    8) 24" x 6" template
    9) 12" x 6" template
    10) Cone thread holder
    11) Pincushion & pins (regular and flat head)
    12) TV & DVD player! :lol:
    13) Glass of flavored water

Those last two don't count, do they? :mrgreen:

I'd have a computer in my sewing room if the internet cable would reach! ;) Maybe I should add a wireless router to my list for Santa this year ...

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Rotary cutter and mat (so fast to cut instead of scissors)
    I also love my sewing machine as it has the wider throat for quilting and the pencils that you use on fabric with it's rubber to remove mistakes and now my new pressing mat so the appliques do not stick to everything until I am ready to position them for sewing.

Ladies, you are the top. You have covered all my favorites except one. I learned this in class on hand piecing- Spray Starch. Use this when ironing your square and the middle won't stay flat. Hope this helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by loopywren
    I use one of those wedge door stops under the rear of my machine to tilt it, makes so much difference.. very cheap, and less backache as I can see the stitiching so much easier. My favourite for now, will be different another time I expect.
    This is a wonderful idea, will try it tomorrow! Thanks! :thumbup:My fave gadgets are my freemotion quilting gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Ybridgegal
    Reading thru the posts the only thing I didn't see is to be sure you use the WHITE glue sticks and not the colored ones. The dye in the colored ones will distort the fabric and if you accidently go over the quarter inch you may not be happy with the results. When Walmart had the back to school area all of the glue sticks were colored....buyer beware. I do use it for applique..works great for holding things in place and no oweeees.
    I read the earlier reply about using glue sticks. I was going to Wally anyway so picked up 6 glue sticks--25 cents for two--they were the purple ones and I started using them to glue down my WIP -- the Nativity scene -- then I read this one and I freaked!!!! Oh, no, have I ruined all my work? I check--looks ok-- so continued on. It is laying on my kitchen table waiting for the black lead bias tape to arrive. It looks fine. ???

Quote Originally Posted by Homespun
    Quote Originally Posted by Ybridgegal
    Reading thru the posts the only thing I didn't see is to be sure you use the WHITE glue sticks and not the colored ones. The dye in the colored ones will distort the fabric and if you accidently go over the quarter inch you may not be happy with the results. When Walmart had the back to school area all of the glue sticks were colored....buyer beware. I do use it for applique..works great for holding things in place and no oweeees.
    I read the earlier reply about using glue sticks. I was going to Wally anyway so picked up 6 glue sticks--25 cents for two--they were the purple ones and I started using them to glue down my WIP -- the Nativity scene -- then I read this one and I freaked!!!! Oh, no, have I ruined all my work? I check--looks ok-- so continued on. It is laying on my kitchen table waiting for the black lead bias tape to arrive. It looks fine. ???
    I use the washable purple glue that dries clear and have had no problems, even with light colored fabric. I do heat set the glue with an iron and if it's not put on too thick, it will peel apart if necessary. I usually use white washable glue with a small tipped bottle for most seam gluing and the purple for gluing paper to fabric for paper piecing.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by lhavelka
    Quote Originally Posted by ajonkarl
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by lhavelka
    Quote Originally Posted by foxxigrani
    I was going to mention the june taylor shape cutter, but someone already did. I have trouble cutting my strips, this has helped me and is so fast. I love the darn thing.

Rita
    I hear you Rita!!!! Love that thing too!
    I just recently got one, and I agree! It's terrific. Also there's a tute on line for those who want to see how it's done.
    This really interests me, but I have a question. How do you keep this from shifting? The larger ruler I use sometimes shifts, it seems as if your hand would not be able to control movement and how do you hold it down ?
    You have alot more control over it than a ruler. I have been using it for over 6 months now and it has never shifted and given me problems. Well worth the money especially with a Joann coupon. I am going to look into the plus size one. The only thing that I wish is that it is longer, maybe the plus one does just that.
    I haven't had a problem at all since I bought it. Somehow it just stays put. Maybe because it's a little rougher on the back than the usual straight rulers.

8-)

Oh I forgot to mention my book holder/stand! Well it is an acrylic bookstand the has a metal flat piece that sits in it to support pages or a book. There is a seperate magnetic ruler strip that holds single pages in place. That is why they made it metal.
    It is the best while following directions hands free for cutting and sewing a big plus is it makes it easy to read! Oh and you can move the magnetic ruler to keep your place.
    I think I bought it some years ago and it was called a craft stand.

Quote Originally Posted by moonrise
    Well, on my sewing table within immediate reach, are:

1) Rotary cutter
    2) Large cutting mat
    3) 6-1/2" EZ Square (used so much that the markings are coming off!)
    4) Seam ripper
    5) Cheap pair of scissors (used to trim paper when paper-piecing)
    6) Gingher scissors (inherited from my Granny - for cutting fabric only)
    7) 12-1/2" square template
    8) 24" x 6" template
    9) 12" x 6" template
    10) Cone thread holder
    11) Pincushion & pins (regular and flat head)
    12) TV & DVD player! :lol:
    13) Glass of flavored water

Those last two don't count, do they? :mrgreen:

I'd have a computer in my sewing room if the internet cable would reach! ;) Maybe I should add a wireless router to my list for Santa this year ...
    I have a wireless computer in my room for playing those instructional videos you buy and so I think a dvd player is a must too. A router is a wonderful thing for cable hook up.

i love the glue stick idea. i also snagged the mug for a cone thread holder idea. you ladies rock!!!!!!!!!!!! just love this quilt site. woohoo quilters are the best!!!!!

I've been using mine for about a year and love it. As long as the blade is sharp, you are not putting any extra pressure on your wrist or finger, which is what is strained using any straight rotary cutter. Your wrist stays straight as you cut so there's no twisting. Mine is 45 mm blade.

There is a safety guard. As soon as you start rolling it, the guard flips back. Then just flip the switch on the side when you are done cutting to roll it back over the blade. You don't even need to let go of the cutter to do this.

I highly recommend it for anyone who has wrist issues or carpel tunnel.

Barb

I also use the rubber door stops under my machine and it does make a huge difference. I got mine at the $tree.

Cleo Webb, how do you use your Chalk marker? Thanks, 80

when everyone talks abt using glue sticks, then "washing it out"...does this mean in the washing machine only?

Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    My most essential things are my tiny pair of scissors and my seam ripper! The scissors are really tiny enough to use for seam ripping, but I'm afraid of cutting the fabric. I always make sure they both are close at hand. I also keep a lintroller nearby to grab little pieces of thread. Lol. These things probably didn't cost 10 dollars all together!

SittingPretty--I have a pair of hemostats always! If y'all know anyone who works in a hospital or clinic--I'm sure you can get a free pair! If a surgical kit is opened here, whatever isn't used is tossed, so they are easy to come by. I'm always losing a drawstring into the waistband and they are great for retrieval! I need to pick up another set to keep by my machine for pulling up the loop of thread.
    I bought mine at a scrapbook store.

I have one and love it. I was having trouble with arthritis in my hand. Since I got this cutter I haven't had hardly any problems. I have the 45mm and use the Olfa blades which I bought on Ebay.

Please explain the use of the glue stick for lining up seams. Sounds very interesting. Is it shown on You Tube?
    Kiki Myers

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?
    I would have to say my Accuquilt GO cutter. It makes things so much easier and faster. I love it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast