Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    Do you think the glue sticks would work lining up the OBW's?Instead of having to pin them?
    What is the OBW?

I used your suggestion of using the glue stick to keep seams aligned, etc. today on some applique work -- it's awesome!! Thanks for sharing that.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rotary cutter and mat along with my omnigrid rulers. This is not really a tool but my Ott-Lite.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    Do you think the glue sticks would work lining up the OBW's?Instead of having to pin them?
    What is the OBW?
    One Block wonder - go to the top of this page and click on "search" - then type in "OBW" and a whole page of posts will appear - click away

I use a box cutter for a seam ripper. I find it is safer for me so I do not cut the fabric. Then when it dulls, you just break off a section. I retract it when not in use so I never accidentally cut myself. I stole it from my husband's tool chest and he hasn't ever missed it!

Will be trying the glue stick tommorrow on the quilt I am putting together! Sounds wonderful. and also need to find some of those forked pins.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Let's see, I love my rotary cutting board that goes in circles, and I love my light that is attached to the side of my machine so I can see better, and I love my glue sticks for getting the seams to line up perfectly, a trick I learned in a class. This is great. I know I have more favrotites but these are first. ANd I love the Sewing machine lifter my DH made me. Makes it so much better n my back not to have to lean up so far. Thank you.
    Please explain about the glue stick trick... Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I have a Ghinger rotary cutter...while I do like it, I dont find it lasting any longer (the blandes) than the other cutters I have. I found mine on ebay, auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Homespun
    Quote Originally Posted by Ybridgegal
    Reading thru the posts the only thing I didn't see is to be sure you use the WHITE glue sticks and not the colored ones. The dye in the colored ones will distort the fabric and if you accidentally go over the quarter inch you may not be happy with the results. When Walmart had the back to school area all of the glue sticks were colored....buyer beware. I do use it for applique..works great for holding things in place and no oweeees.
    I read the earlier reply about using glue sticks. I was going to Wally anyway so picked up 6 glue sticks--25 cents for two--they were the purple ones and I started using them to glue down my WIP -- the Nativity scene -- then I read this one and I freaked!!!! Oh, no, have I ruined all my work? I check--looks ok-- so continued on. It is laying on my kitchen table waiting for the black lead bias tape to arrive. It looks fine. ???
    No problem for me! I've been using the purple ones for years. I've never heard anything bad about them. I'd think the only potential problem would be if you didn't wash it out, and left it for a very long time - like years. I use an iron to dry it a lot of times, so there's no problem with the heat. Maybe the person who had the problem will explain further. But, like the blue markers which work very well - unless you iron them or don't WASH them out, it may be something specific that happened. Hope this helps put your mind at ease :)

BTW - one of my favorites, which I haven't seen listed, is the blue washout marker.

I use cheap white chalk (less binders than more expensive white chalk) for marking seams on the longarm and for quick marks at the sewing machine.

I also love my Havel's Seam Ripper (it's a blade like the surgeons use). Makes quick use of those unneeded seams! I even show made a utube video showing how to use it on the longarm for my HQ friends. It's my favorite go-to tool...that and my little squeeze snippers :)

Debbie in Austin

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like them all, and wish I could get those triangle papers, that looks like it would be a good thing. God bless.

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Can't wait to try the glue sticks, thanks for the tip.

Now that is a really great idea. I just didnot want to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    Let's see, I love my rotary cutting board that goes in circles, and I love my light that is attached to the side of my machine so I can see better, and I love my glue sticks for getting the seams to line up perfectly, a trick I learned in a class. This is great. I know I have more favrotites but these are first. ANd I love the Sewing machine lifter my DH made me. Makes it so much better n my back not to have to lean up so far. Thank you.
    Maybe you could do a tutorial on the glue sticks for getting the seams to line up perfectly. :thumbup: :thumbup: Please, pretty Please :!:

What is the OBW?
    I think it mean "one block wonder" not sure I really have a problem when people do not spell out the words, but that is my best guess

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BizyStitches
    What is the OBW?
    I think it mean "one block wonder" not sure I really have a problem when people do not spell out the words, but that is my best guess
    Yes, OBW stands for One Block Wonder and there are quite a few reference guides for the quilty acronyms or abbreviations. Suggest you print one of them out and soon enough you will be ROFL with your DGF while planning a FART. (Rolling on floor laughing with darling girl friend while planning a fabric acquisition road trip) lol

Quote Originally Posted by cimarron
    Speaking of gadgets, etc. - Can anyone advise me regarding Martelli ErgoCutter 2000? I've had "carpel tunnel" issues at times (not too much lately thankfully). Somewhere I read these rotary cutters were better for wrists, etc. Considering purchasing one, but I am wondering a couple things: First, do they have a safety guard (cannot tell in photos) and secondly, how did the transition go for folks who use this equipment. (oh, and 45mm or 60mm?) I would appreciate your advise folks. Thanks for any help.
    I use the Olfa ego rotary cutter and love it here is the link
    http://www.olfa.co.jp/en/body/kind/5_p1.html

My favorite quilting , tool I guess you'd call it, is the same as my favorite tool is for general sewing, my pen knife. Years ago I worked for an alterations shop and the lady who owned the place taught me to remove stitches with a knife. I don't have to remove too many now, but when I do, it's the knife's job

Nobody has mentioned hand quilting yet but I love the needle grabbers. I cut up the long rubber things that they use to tie up your arm to take your blood pressure. Left over from when my husband was a phelbotomist.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

member, elizabeth, wanted me to start this thread, good idea!

if you want to share the link to show us the cool gadget or notion!
    Thanks for starting this thread. It was an inspiration but then you are good at that. I have learned so much.

I just love this tip!!!!!
    Bless you!

I have elmers in my kitnow but use those you get at the dollar store even. ANy brand seems to work. After you sew, and iron, you pull the seams to iron and you can't see the glue. Poof---gone. It just takes a little dab and it is quick. Just dab,dab,dab,...

You are so welcome. Glad to share. Hey, I showed Crafty bear something. Wahooooooooooooo.

Crafty Bear started a thread a few days ago about a favorite gadget -- I have thought of so many that I use often (and think I can't get along without!) so I would like to share a picture of what my husband made for me to keep right beside my sewing machine so they are handy!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello! I am not sure what the notion is called, but I believe the gadget is made by Clover - it is round and ornamental and is used to cut threads. You can add a chain and wear as a necklace OR put it in a spool of thread; I use it for clipping pieces that are chained pieced. I love it for that - have my spool of thread with cutter by the ironing board or machine and use it everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by Sew 'N Sew
    Crafty Bear started a thread a few days ago about a favorite gadget -- I have thought of so many that I use often (and think I can't get along without!) so I would like to share a picture of what my husband made for me to keep right beside my sewing machine so they are handy!!
    O, I am jealous. I want one!!!

Clear plastic first aid tape for the back of rulers. (It is textured, inexpensive and easy to use. And you can see through it, but it keeps the ruler flat to the fabric.)
    My Martelli cutters.
    Horizontal spool feeder/adaptor. Wouldn't be without them for using metallic/lamé threads.
    Different gadgets and tools depending on what I am doing at the moment.

Pati, in Phx

Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB
    My favorite quilting , tool I guess you'd call it, is the same as my favorite tool is for general sewing, my pen knife. Years ago I worked for an alterations shop and the lady who owned the place taught me to remove stitches with a knife. I don't have to remove too many now, but when I do, it's the knife's job

LOL I also did alterations years ago and was taught to use a small penknife to "unstitch". Have one by my machine and one I carry in my purse, along with a honing stone. People think I am crazy, until they see it work.

Pati, in Phx

Blog Entries
    I love your gadget, does your hubby sell them???

Quote Originally Posted by Sew 'N Sew

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast