Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: What is your favorite quilting gadget or notions?

Blog Entries
    what is a pen knife???

can you still buy them???

Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB
    My favorite quilting , tool I guess you'd call it, is the same as my favorite tool is for general sewing, my pen knife. Years ago I worked for an alterations shop and the lady who owned the place taught me to remove stitches with a knife. I don't have to remove too many now, but when I do, it's the knife's job

It's called a pen knife around here, a pocket knife too. I only know it as the knife boy scouts use
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penknife

My rotary cutter and mat are my all time favorite. Couldn't do any quilting without them. The little light that makes my sewing area brighter is next and don't forget the wonderful fabrics we have to work with and can barely stand to cut any of them.

I love my Havel seam ripper. We are VERY good friends!

Does a Bendable Bright Light count as a notion? If so, that puppy is my all time favorite!!! Cannot hardly sew without it. For handquilting, my very favorite is the rubber finger cots. I buy them at Office Supply Stores & always buy sev boxes at a time. Cannot handquilt without them. As you can guess by now, I see myself really being set in my ways. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gramof6
    Does a Bendable Bright Light count as a notion? If so, that puppy is my all time favorite!!! Cannot hardly sew without it. For handquilting, my very favorite is the rubber finger cots. I buy them at Office Supply Stores & always buy sev boxes at a time. Cannot handquilt without them. As you can guess by now, I see myself really being set in my ways. LOL
    I am a little confused about this light which I could really use. I have looked at different sites and they list extra parts to get like a bracket kit. I saw one at www.Quilting-warehouse.com which doesn't suggest extras. Would you please look at this site and tell me if that is all I need. The price seems much lower than elsewhere at $27.95 vs. $49.95. thanks very much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I have shared this method a lot when I see ladies pinning so many pins to line things up and I get a big hug after they try it and see the results. Hope you try this idea.
    :thumbup: :idea: You have just made my day. I use a lot of pins. I even have a trick for disappearing the pin points between fabric layers so I don't end up with a zillion ouches as I'm sewing it. The Bargello I recently finished would have loved being glued instead of pinned.

What does OBW mean?

Quote Originally Posted by terry leffler
    What does OBW mean?
    from what I understand from some messages before it is "One Block Wonder" I hope that is still right.

Is it a quilt? Just one block? I don't understand---

Hopefully someone who does know will jump in here and try to explain. I wonder if you did a search on your computer if anything would come up? Sorry, I tried.

Thanks for your help

Cajun Quilter2,
    Can you tell me where I can locate the Martelli cutting mat? We saw them last yr at the Quilt Show in Knox. Tn. but he was not there this year. My friend saved all year to get one and then he was not there. She was so disappointed and I have tried to locate them on Google but with not luck. Please let me know if you can.
    Thanks,
    Golden Threader

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Threader
    Cajun Quilter2,
    Can you tell me where I can locate the Martelli cutting mat? We saw them last yr at the Quilt Show in Knox. Tn. but he was not there this year. My friend saved all year to get one and then he was not there. She was so disappointed and I have tried to locate them on Google but with not luck. Please let me know if you can.
    Thanks,
    Golden Threader
    Go to www.martellinotions.com and then go to the online store. They have their rotary cutters, rulers and mats.

Blog Entries
    One Block Wonder

look at this link shows piece of fabric before cutting up to make a one block wonder block

http://thequiltasylum.blogspot.com/2...k-wonders.html

What does OBW mean?

Quote Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
    I just saw a video on YouTube for June Tailor's Shape-Cut Plus...Holy Cow!!! That is one tool i would just love to own. I will have to save up some money for that one. What an awesome tool.
    hi! i bought the jt shape cutter almost by accident!had a coupon,couldn't find anything i really wanted,so ........the jt shape cutter.mine is 12x12,i think there's a bigger one ,if so,that's my next coupon !!love ,love love it !!!!no more "wonky"cuts !
    dar

Quote Originally Posted by Pati- in Phx
    Clear plastic first aid tape for the back of rulers. (It is textured, inexpensive and easy to use. And you can see through it, but it keeps the ruler flat to the fabric.)
    My Martelli cutters.
    Horizontal spool feeder/adaptor. Wouldn't be without them for using metallic/lamé threads.
    Different gadgets and tools depending on what I am doing at the moment.

Pati, in Phx
    wow,thanx for the tip ! i just bought the invisible backing,& altho it works fairly well,it was sure not cheap !will definitely try the tape,i have some to try today!
    thanx again,dar

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    we are so bad in stealing things from our family!

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Ok I'm stealing the kids glue sticks. Just don't tell them it was me.
    They used to steal my dressmaker shears and then pretend they didn't. They still steal the tape, lint brush and other various things out of my sewing room.

Quote Originally Posted by liondenise
    Aboout the hemostats - there is a guy at our local flea market that sells small tools scissors hemostats etc and he is there every weekend- if there is a flea market near you it may be worth checking out - I'd even be glad to get them for anyone who wants them - just let me know - curved and/or straight edge -dh uses them too for small projects
    hi,please let me know prices,shipping etc,i am interested in both the curved& straight styles.
    thanx dar

Thank you CraftyBear! I learn something new every day!
    Looks like a OMW is just the same block in a repeated pattern - using a template!
    Hugs,
    Terry in NY

Hi, my favorite is my " mustache trimmer" It is a really quick way to undo a seam. It works fantastic and so fast.

Debo,
    Thank you so much!
    Golden Threader

Quote Originally Posted by BizyStitches
    Hopefully someone who does know will jump in here and try to explain. I wonder if you did a search on your computer if anything would come up? Sorry, I tried.
    One Block Wonders refers to a quilting technique, several books have been written with that title if you go to Amazon and type in One Block Wonders you can see, they are kind of like kaleidoscopes and are fussy cut.

Thanks, Pat!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9