Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite >

What is your favorite

What is your favorite

Old 02-18-2017, 04:30 AM

If you're in Maine, look for a Marden's. They have them in Lewiston, Waterville, Scarborough, Sanford, Rumford, Presque Isle, Madawaska, Lincoln, Houlton, Grey, Ellsworth, Calais, Brewer, Biddeford. It is a surplus and salvage store and you can find TONS of awesome fabric at low prices! Also, in Auburn, Maine, there is a quilt shop called Quiltessentials that has fabric and yarn. Then in Litchfield, Maine, there is a quilt shop called the Busy Thimble. She carries mostly reproduction fabric from the Civil War era.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:33 AM

In the St Louis area-in Illinois are several shops. Jackmans in Fairview Heights. There are two in a little town called Staunton near highway 55 on the way to Chicago. There is a quilt shop in Highland and in Troy that are very nice too . I was just in a little town near Fairhope Alabama and it has a Fabrics by the pound that is quite nice too. I'm in a 5th wheel camping now in Tennessee on my way to Paducah to get some fabric at Hancocks. I saved a $100 bill just for shopping there. Good luck with your RVing.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:40 AM

Gone to Pieces in Kimball, MN. Penny is wonderful. I would love to go on a trip like yours.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:16 AM

Missouri Star Quilting in Hamilton consists of more than a dozen buildings, each carrying a unique selection of fabrics. Lots of bolts and precuts. In the St. Louis area my two favorites are Jackman's on Lindberg Blvd and the Quilted Fox on Clayton Road in Frontenac. The latter has international quilting fabrics.
(You might want to call Jackman's in Fairview Heights, IL before shopping for quilting cotton, as that store may be designated as the upholstery and curtain fabric location.) Congrats on the upcoming retirement and travel plans!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 05:22 AM

If you find yourself in Delaware, check out Serendipity Quilt Shop.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:44 AM

Obies Country Store in Goodville, Pennsylvania looks like a unique shopping experience. Check out this blog post:

https://dishsisters.com/2015/04/03/o...f-your-dreams/
Old 02-18-2017, 06:00 AM

Visit wisconsin--we have lots of wonderful quilt stores. If you come in from south on I 90/39 there are quilt stores in Beloit, Elkhorn, Milton (my favorite). Next stops would be in Waunakee, Sun Prairie and Lodi. If you head north on 151/26 there are 7 quilt stores in Appleton/Green Bay area including Primitive Gathering. If you are that far north visit Lambeau Field, home of Green Bay Packers. .no matter what your team affiliation is..it is worth seeing. While there eat fried cheese curds. If you visit the first week after labor day, the Quilt Expo in Madison is a must see. It is wonderful quilt show with vendors from all over and classes. Nancy's Notions started this about 9 ot 10 years ago and we attract buses of people from all over mid west. We are very lucky to live in an area with so many quilt stores. For me, I have 9 within an hour of my home. Hope you visit wisconsin
Old 02-18-2017, 06:52 AM

I would definitely spend several days in the Lancaster, PA area. Lots of quilt stores and great prices, plus you get a wonderful perspective on the Amish who live there.

There are also a lot of stores in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area so if you go to see the Falls, check them out.

I hear Phoenix has great quilting stores. I'm heading there in two weeks and will have first hand knowledge then.

Also:
Rosies in San Diego
Pucky Huddle, Candor, NY
Material Rewards, Dansville, NY
Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC (and one a mile away - Sew Much Fun)
Rainbow's End, Dunedin, FL
Fieldstone House, Sidney Center, NY
Stitcher's Garden, Franklin, TN
Keepsake Quilting, NH
Asheville Cotton Company, Asheville, NC
Batik Etcetera, Wytheville, VA
Calico Creations, Mt Vernon, WA
Circa 15, Kirkland, WA (mostly modern fabs but great store)

I'll warn you that I like stores with A LOT of fabric above everything else, and I'm not a fan of civil war or primitive fabric. I'm not looking for patterns, notions, friendliness, help; just fabric. So those populate my favorites list.

There are a lot of great shops out there that won't be on anyone's list because they are smaller or out of the way. So keep searching on your phone and check out the Row by Row site. Have a wonderful time and don't forget that when the RV won't move because of the weight of your purchases, ship it all home and start again!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

History paradise for your husband is the Vicksburg Military Park in Vicksburg MS. Big enough to spend all day there! And just outside of it, minutes away, is a great quilt shop and one of my favorites: Stitch 'N Frame in Bovina MS. There's also a great place to get your lunch, The Bovina Cafe, just across Interstate 20 from Stitch N Frame. It's totally "local color", but the food is great and they have wonderful desserts that come with your meal. Fun place to eat.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:18 AM

St. George, Utah has several shops. Quilted Works and Scrap Apples, plus it's a beautiful area to visit. Happy Trails to you.