Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is Your favorite thimble? >

What is Your favorite thimble?

What is Your favorite thimble?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Years ago I bought a pkg. of leather thimbles but they had plastic on part of them, not good. I found a belt my Dad was getting rid of. Cut a strip, sew it together till it fits my finger. Fast, cheap, and it fits :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM

I was trained by Roxanne( daughter now owns the company) how to size the customer. She sized me . Your finger changes sizes daily and it is great to have two different sizes but that is a lot of money for most people to spend on a quality thimble. I personally bought ever inexpensive thimble on the market until I bought Roxanne. If you contact the company She may allow you to return it for the next size down. Is it possible the shop would allow you to get a different size. I often suggest the customer use it for a couple days and if needed change the size. What size do you have. I have a 5 had a 4.5 for a while but sold it now when my finger changes for a I will stick a little ball of of masking tape down inside this is not needed for a very long time frame usually works great.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:11 PM

My absolute hands-down favorite is an old brass thimble that belonged to my husband's grandmother. Since I am 67, it's probably a legitimate antique but fits so well and holds the needle so well that it's a dream to work with. Second choice is a very modern thimble with an extended top and a nice deep recess. I also quilt with one finger cut from a rubber glove on my right index finger to make it easier to pull the needle through. For those of you whose hands hurt a little, this is an easier choice than one of those circular rubber "needle pullers"
Old 10-04-2011, 03:43 PM

My favorite thimble is one I would call ‘clunky’ but pretty. I got it at a sew expo years ago. It has an open top for a fingernail and lots of design work that really helps to control the needle. I keep a roll of double-sided tape with my hand sewing things. The tape can be found at almost any good grocery store. An inch piece placed around the finger to use the thimble works great. I sometimes put a layer inside the thimble. The thimble travels in a little coin purse with Thread Heaven or bees wax.
I keep a small balloon for pulling the needle through tough areas.
I like to hand sew with Aurifil thread. I thread a whole package of needles on the end of the thread; place double-sided tape on the top knob of the spool and wind the 5”-6”+ end of thread around the tape to hold in place. It lets me get a new length of thread ready to sew and not worry about getting a needle threaded. A small pair of scissors (airline friendly) stays with this kit.
Trying new things is often “clumsy”. We didn't walk the first time we stood to try. It just takes practice, practice and more practice. If one method doesn’t work, try others.
Many thanks for all the great ideas shared on this site ! :-)
Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by spark
I use the John James thimbles with a magnet on the tip. It is a good fit, and the magnet sure comes in handy when a needle or pin is droped. I would like to find a thimble for my thumb, though. Any suggestions?
Liuxin Newman (Thimblelady) makes a sterling silver thimble specially designed for thumbs. The dimples for the needle are very large and deep, making control of the needle a breeze, so little effort needed that it feels like nothing.

Sterling silver is only 92.5% silver; Ms Newman's thimbles are alloyed with something that makes them stronger than the usual sort of sterling silver.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM

I actually wore out a thimble out It had sorta shaped to my finger and I never thought much of it, then one day I was using it and the needle went through one of the holes and poked me.I must have always wore it the same way and I can't imagine it was very pricey. It never felt right if I turned it around so I went and got another one. And it took me several attempts to find one that felt right. They take some getting used to but once you do you hardly notice it and I often go to do something else and realize it's on my hand. The one I have now, I have no idea where I got and I may have to look into getting a really good one cause I'm sure this one isn't but it's comfy to me. I have several others that I don't like at all.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM

I use a orange adjustable thimble I found at Joann's yrs ago. I have fingernails and other thimbles are uncomfortable.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266395.jpe  
Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
klc

Originally Posted by nab
Have any of you used the Clover rubber (soft plastic) thimbles with the metal on the top?
I just bought one and LOVE IT! I have always hated thimbles. They are uncomfortable and don't stay on. I started just using a band-aid and that isn't exactly right either. Then I was in my LQS, paying for my fabric and they had a jar of thimbles on the counter I was playing with. The gal ringing me up said we just got these thimbles in and are a little pricey but are they great. I checked it out, liked it and bought it. Am I glad I did! It's the most comfortable and easy to use thimble ever. They come in 3 sizes. I bought a medium.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 PM

I have searched for years and bought many thimbles, but all in vain. My favorite thimble still is 2 bandaids, one over top of the other. I can put them with the thickest part exactly where I need it. It works for me.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:52 PM

I have the Roxanne thimble and must note that they have the BEST customer service I have ever found!
I also have 2 silver thimbles I use all the time, my finger also changes size during the day and time of year. I like the Roxane but the silver ones are lighter.