Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is Your favorite thimble? >

What is Your favorite thimble?

What is Your favorite thimble?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 PM

I had troubles finding thimbles for years. The ones I had were to big or to little. I carried the to big ones with me very often but couldn't get used to 'em. I thought it was me. I found 3 at a thrift store. One was brass, one was steel, & one was pink plastic. All three fit. The brass one was awesome. I got so used to it that one of the times that my Dad was in the hospital& I was quilting in the waiting room, I forgot it was on & took it to the bathroom. I took it off to use the facilities & left it there. 5 min.s later it was gone. :( The steel one is great also just not the brass one. I use the steel one all the time. I don't like the pink one but yet at least it still fits. I only use it when I missplace the steel one. I went looking at the LQS & Handcock's for some new ones in case I loose these but they don't fit. Sorry for the long post I wanted to illustrate how if the thimble fits you'll use it. If not you won't.

PS. I am always looking at other thrift stores for more.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 PM

One thing I like about the Thimblelady cone thimbles is that exact fit is not crucial. The thimble has an open top, so length of fingernails doesn't matter. The thimble is meant to cover the tip of the finger, including the end joint.

During the day, as my hands swell or shrink, the thimble just sits a little higher or a little lower on my finger. There's always at least four dimples that are in the right place for me to use comfortably.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
I have purchased leather ones that I believe clover sells.
I have also made my own out of deer hide, if you know of any available, the belly is the best place, thin yet tough.
I have made a hundred or more and used up all the belly I could find.
now after selling them all, I am purchasing thimbles again.
I have zero imput on thimbles but was browsing the post since sleep isn't working for me. The quilt in your avatar is absolutely gorgeous!! Just love it, wish I could see the whole thing. The black sets the colors off so well. Good choice, great job. Do you mind telling me the pattern?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 AM

Leather finger tips
Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 AM

I have grown up using a thimble for all hand sewing. I use the leather one with the hard spot (I think it is called 'nimble thimble)and like it because I have long fingernails and it allows for that, but I do have trouble keeping it on sometimes. I haven't come up with a solution for that .
Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Finally I remember - my silver thimble that I love is by TJ Lane. It has a pretty design and open for the fingernail, a ridge around the edge for the needle. You can find them online under Thimbles by TJ Lane.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM

I have an awful time finding a thimble that fits. My favorite is an old plastic advertising thimble that I found in a cigar box!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 PM

When I have to use a thimble, I use a metal quilter's thimble with the lip around the tip so that the needle won't slip. Recently, in the middle of tying a quilt, my thimble got lost. I had to make a spec ail trip to Hobby Lobby to buy another one. I, too, am between sizes. I usually take a small, but some days, I need a medium. That day, I couldn't find fit her one, and all the regular thimbles in the house without the lip just would not work.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I cant believe you all don't like the leather ones, I love mine, would be lost with out it. There's a new leather one that my friend just bought last week, it looks just like a normal thimble, mine is a larger about up to your middle knuckle, anyway she loves this new thimble. Wish I could remember who made it, all I can remember is its solid black.
I make my own leather thimble and they work great. I only make new ones when all the others are worn out which is years unless I do a lot of hand work. i make them go up to my second knuckle from the finger point.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by unclefreckles
I have grown up using a thimble for all hand sewing. I use the leather one with the hard spot (I think it is called 'nimble thimble)and like it because I have long fingernails and it allows for that, but I do have trouble keeping it on sometimes. I haven't come up with a solution for that .
I was just in a quilt store yesterday and saw the nimble thimble. I tried it on and the fit was good. I hope it works for me. My problem is they are either too small where my finger throbs or too large where it slips off. Otherwise I guess I will just have to add it to my thimble collection. :roll: