Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite tip that you got from this site. >

What is your favorite tip that you got from this site.

What is your favorite tip that you got from this site.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 AM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

i learned that I will have to live a long time to be able to make all the gorgeous quilts you people make! :lol:
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Gal

Too many to mention, I love all the pics which tell a thousand words, and love the way everyone jumps in with answers to the questions about what works for them, so you can try them all and find out which works for you. I really enjoy the site and all the diffrent aspects it offers, and also I would like to mention my new quilting buddy in OZ whom I would never have found, if not for this great site!
A very big thankyou to you all!

Gal
Old 11-04-2010, 01:55 AM

I'm very new here and to quilting in general, but the one about the blades for my Olfa cutter from Harbor Freight has been incredible for me. I too learn something new daily here and am immensely thankful to be a part of this wonderful group! Thank you all!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 AM

So many wonderful tips. It saves so much time to learn from others: ideas I never would have come up with on my own. I've also gained Confidence in my abilities. And my standards have raised: My belief in myself as Capable; what I expect from a quilt; that it's okay not to be Perfect, along with all sorts of tips and shortcuts on how to BE perfect! I'm even making friendships here, which is very important to me. It was a happy day when I stumbled across this site.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 AM

So far my favorite thing is the glue basting for the binding. I had the glue and did not even know it!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 AM

Like everyone else has already said, there are so many wonderful aspects to this site. My favorite tip so far though has been a tutorial on English Paper Piecing for Grandmother's Flower Garden. The bad thing about it is now I've started another project, adding to my already overwhelming amount of projects already started and not yet finished.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:48 AM

Too many that I can't begin to remember them all. However the QAYG tutorial on here was wonderful. My quilt is half done, needed to quit to work on Christmas gifts. As someone else stated you can ask a question and no one treats you like you are a dummy.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 AM

Starch! I had never used it before and now wonder if I can sew without it, especially to keep backings smooth and unpuckered (is that a word?).
Also: don't be afraid to ask questions. I learn from each and every question that is here whether or not I post on the thread or not. There is so much knowledge and experience here.
Thank you everyone!!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 AM

Favorite tip from this board = Using leaders and enders. My thread usage has been cut in half, I swear.

Along that same line, someone posted to keep a container of 1.5" or 2" scrap squares by the sewing machine & sewing them together as you need a "leader or ender" - - It's like making 2 quilts at one time. THAT was a great idea, and one I never would have thought of on my own.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
I have learned SO MUCH on here that it really is hard to say. I mean I only started quilting this past July and for awhile I was getting on the chat line all the time asking for help; plus all the threads that I have bookmarked..it's a book! Probably the most helpful so far was when someone helped me organize my WIPs. I was taking more than one class at the time and all my stuff was getting all messed up. She told me to get baggies and organize them that way. It was SUCH a great help!! I was making a sampler and a buggy barn....I had strips and cut pieces everywhere! When I got back to my class for the sampler quilt, I was so organized and proud!
Organization is the key for sure. I have baggies and plastic containers, strip boxes. etc, It make the process soooooo much easier. I used to be a one project at a time quilter, now I have many in the works and I can find what I want with ease.