Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:05 PM

I also like the term "cosy quilter". I want my quilts used, enjoyed and loved. I am far from "show quality" but I strive to do better as I learn. But I refuse to fret the occasional ooppssies. I made a photo quilt for a friend at work and it was a learning one. She admired a photo I took on my vacation, so I made her a small wall quilt using it. I hope she doesn't look too close, but I am still happy I made it, mistakes and all.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:18 PM

I would say I am probably a cozy quilter. I enjoy it and it is relaxing for me. My friends that don't quilt think I am excellent at it.

In 2008 my oldest daughter got married. I was still working on her quilt the night before the wedding. I had noticed a mistake, the week of her wedding, so I undid, and thought I had fixed it, and lo and behold, it was still there. This was a quilt that was hand quilted, so I set it up in my mil's basement, and I spent many long hours over at her house. Thanks goodness for the help that I had.

I was pleased with the quilt, and so was my daughter and son-in-law, but I noticed at the reception that my mom and sister were picking out mistakes. Oh, well, my children know I am not a perfectionist, but they know the love that goes into these.

As I said before, it is something I enjoy. I will not take the joy out of quilting, just to be absolutely perfect. I keep a journal of each quilt I do, and write down the things that I know I could work on for the next quilt. As long as I see improvement, that is what matters.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 PM

I try very hard to sew and quilt well....I do neither. However, for some reason I just love to do it. I sew mostly for charity and gifts for family and friends. I tell everyone.....I DO NOT MAKE works of art....I DO MAKE ..works of LOVE. I hope everyone accepts that...I sure am not an artist,,,I just love to sew and quilt.

Margie
Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 PM

What a wonderful question! I think my mantra is to do my very best and be happy with that in the present time frame. I also want to continually improve. But most of all and I mean MOST IMPORTANT is that I enjoy the process and that the quilt made with love and given with no strings attached.

As said before, I would love to someday be able to be recognized for my work! But if that never happens and I am eighty years old and visit my daughter's house and find her wrapped up one night in the quilt I made her when she was six, I KNOW my time and hard work was well spent!

Sheila
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM

I try to do the best I can, I know my limitations and don't very often try the things that I know won't be my best. There are a lot of quilt patterns that I can do, so why stress out doing something that is beyond my ability.
I get the most enjoyment from the process of buying fabric for a quilt and arranging the colors and sewing enough of the quilt to see that the arrangement works as I thought it would. So, I guess that is the reason I like to do trip around the world, lone stars and bargellos so much.
I know I will never do a quilt well enough to be in a juried show and I'm ok with that. I have entered quilts in local shows and have done very well in those...that's enough for me.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 PM

I'm also a Cozy Quilter..
I love to quilt and make them for loved ones and close friends.I don't have fancy stashes and such so I work with what I do have and only do it for the love of doing it.I do my best and strive with each quilt to do better then the one before it , but will always have something to learn and that's the sheer joy of it.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 PM

Years ago I received one of those over the arm pincushion, pocket things and it reads: Use what talents you possess. " The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those who sang best." I try my best to do the best in quilting but sometimes a corner isn't perfect, the seam doesn't match...and sometimes I try to fix it but that pin cushion is an everlasting reminder to all at our house.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 PM

I haven't attained to cozy quilter yet, I'm still a rookie quilter. So I'm still learning to get my corners to match, that a mismatched seam will cause a pucker over here and an out of shape square over there. I'm learning that the little ooppses at the beginning of the process will come back to haunt me in the end. I'm learning to sloooooowwww dooowwwwnnnnn......

I really enjoy the whole process of quilting, the picking out of the pattern and fabrics and colors. I'm learning the theory and techniques. But most of all I love the joy of making something special and giving it to someone special and blessing them!

As most of you shared, I also use each quilt as a practice quilt towards improvement and maybe someday I'll make the perfect toss nine!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: But until that day I'm having a blast quilting with my DW!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Not perfect by any means LOL
I try to keep my piecing and quilting to the standard if it looks good from a few feet away then it is good 'nuff :D:D:D
I would never hold a maganifying glass to anyone's work and hopefully they would not do it to mine :wink:
I have to agree completely with Amma......I have what I consider my "best", and that is good enough. It is far from perfect, but is visually "great". I have my own standard of what is acceptable for me, depending on what the quilt is for. More casual use will have a few more ooppsses that I did not re-do than, say, the one I am working to enter in our guild's show for judging.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

i have to admit that i would like to make perfect quilts but I know in reality that will never happen so I suppose I am a cozy quilter too! have you ever thought that us cozy quilters have to exist to make the perfect quilters look perfect! Thats my excuse anyway and i am sticking to it!