Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your secrets >

What are your secrets

What are your secrets

Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 AM

Be retired, have no friends, hate your family, ignore the phone calls, leave the dishes in the sink, eat frozen dinners! There is lots of free time for you!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned

My "secret" is that I spend hours a day at my machine(I am partially dis abled so limited in activity).The work I do can be done while sitting and I have a wonderful supportive hubby that keeps most of the housework done.Its a trade off though. As much as I love what I do,it would be nice to get out and about more.I would actually love to be able to do all of my housework myself!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I am here way to much too!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
bet they are busy at machines while we surf this site LOL
I bet you're right :)
Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
bet they are busy at machines while we surf this site LOL
that was my thought too :lol:
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM

For many years I had stopped sewing because I thought I didn't have the time, nor did I want to go to the basement to sew. (I felt like I was in the dungeon) So when I finally pulled out my old sewing machine, I found it had rusted a little and really wasn't working the way I needed it to. My solution was to buy a brand new Pfaff 2170 so I could do everything I ever wanted to do -- and with this expensive purchase there was absolutely a "No Basement" rule. I set up my machine on a portable table in my living/dining room area and now I sew almost every day -- sometimes it may be just for a short time or sometimes for hours on end! Having it convenient to where I can use it certainly helps and I can honestly say, Not only do I LOVE quilting and sewing -- but I have been able to complete many, many projects over the course of the last 3 or 4 years even while I am working full time as a teacher! Good luck to you all and your sewing and quilting endeavors :)
Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 AM

I wish there were more hrs. in ever day so I could spend more time sewing. I work full time nights 10pm to 6am, and then start some housework when I get home get to bed around 9am and sleep till 4pm then coffee computer and start dinner. If I want to see my hubby I have from around 5:30pm till 8pm to so then shower and get ready for work, lotsw more coffee. I only get to sew a bit on my days off as that is when I catch up on shopping and housework I was to tired for the rest of the time. I squeeze sewing in when I can now if I didn't have to sleep I could get a lot more done! I may not get to be very perductive but I enjoy my stolen mins in the sewing room with all my heart! My lack of time is what keeps me from joing swaps and other things I would love to be a part of......someday!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM

I get to stitch non stop now. Retirement is great. When the kids were at home I rarely got more than an hour or two a week to sew, now if I decide to make a quilt top, I can work on it for hours on end. Have enough prepared soups and meals in the freezer to just pop them in. Thankfully my DH will fend for himself on those days. With the pre made food in the freezer he can get what he wants and heat it up. Not as much cleaning. laundry etc now either with just the two of us messing the place up. Oh yes, he takes care of our four legged kids, all I do is feed them in the morning.
When it was kids, job, school stuff etc. don't expect to have hours and hours to stitch, but just know that eventually you will have more time when kids grow up and you are able to retire.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM

I have the privlege of a sewing space that I can leave the project without picking up and so I can sew a while and than return and sew an hour or so again. I do my quilts on the machine, usually a simple pattern such as log cabin, nine patch, rail fence etc. I have made several winners circles these are so simple my family are so gracious in accepting the quilts when I give them away so I am blessed. I have probably finished 10 quilts this year. I do have a quilter that does them for me. So I only do the hand work to hem them.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 AM

My secret is that I never ever sit down to do hand quilting without doing at least four inches. Now that may sound like a tiny bit to you, but I am vision impaired, and sometimes, four inches is a lot. Of course, most times I quilt many more inches, it just depends. I get the nod to quit when my needle come unthreaded. I can only rethread when I am "fresh".