Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your secrets >

What are your secrets

What are your secrets

Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 AM

I have been sewing for my whole life. Never had time when working. I retired 1 1/2 years ago. Since leaving work, I now have a sewing room,(took over DH's office) a new quilting frame and machine, and 3 other new machines. I have finished 1 ufo top. I typically sew until 2:00 AM. Late at night seems to be my most productive time, no distractions. There is no secret, just lack of time for most. I seem to be more busy now than when working.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Perhaps it is a hang over from childhood when Mom taught me that idol hands brought trouble. I just plain get nervous if I am not doing something even if that means housework, cooking or sewing. DH claims I do not know how to relax and maybe so but look what is being created and the children those charity quilts help! It is my way to give back.

DH reads, watches sport, weather and nature on the tv so I head to my sewing room. I am blessed with having a DH who prides himself in getting me everything I need in supplies and equipment, including a beautiful room where I can leave my projects out from day-to-day. In fact, there are days when I feel guilty that since retirement I have so much when so many have so little.

Getting a lot accomplished also comes from belonging to a couple quilting groups. There is nothing better than showing ones work to those who appreciate quilting. And my biggest help is that I never agree to make more than one person a quilt in a specific time frame. Quilting must be my hobby.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 AM

I'm more than willing to let the dust and laundry pile up and eat take-out - please someone tell me these are the secrets![/quote]

That's a BIG part of it! at least for me.

Roxanne
Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 AM

I'm single and live alone with my cat. I come home from work, greet and feed the cat, check the mail, make some coffee, surf online... and usually end up in the sewing room for a couple of hours. Some days I don't. Some weekends I spend ALL weekend sewing.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I do find that if I spend a lot of time on here, I have much much less time for sewing!!!!

When I whipped up my 11 quilts, I was not on here a whole lot. I cooked a few meals but we ate the leftover's a lot and I do not watch television. So instead of being on here or playing spyder solitaire or another computer game, I got to work on my quilts as soon as I got home from work and had most of the evening to work on them.
Oh, that Spyder Solitaire is addictive, for sure! I know a few people who are addicts, too!
Angela
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by moreland
Perhaps it is partly dependent upon where we are on the time line of life. I did not even begin seriously to quilt until after I had retired from my regular job. I used to spend a lot of time reading, but find I use most of that time now to be at the sewing machine.
I used to spend much of my retired time reading. Now I'm at the sewing machine, too. I don't go to the Book Club anymore...was once such an avid reader they thought I'd really contribute to the group. Well, then the quilting thing came into my life and there goes the Book Club. They just don't understand!
So here I am, typing away on a quilting board and then I'll go to the sewing room and continue my project. Life is good.
Angela
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Well, a person just has to stay away from this site to get a lot of quilting done! LOL
Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 AM

Location: Moved from New Orleans to Port Neches, TX June 2014

Originally Posted by BMP
I need to stay away from here so much during my day....
I never pick up a book to read anymore either..
I always sew with a good book on my MP3 player! It's called mutli tasking! Now I don't feel like I am wasting good sewing time! Just finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and now am on to The Girl Who played with Fire.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 PM

I get off work at 2 o'clock and hubby gets home around 4:30. If I'm not watching my grand daughter I'm usually in my sewing room. Sometimes on Sundays I get to sew most of the day.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM

I suffer from this also. I believe that I have a problem making decisions and then having confidence that they are the "right" decisions. This is very impairing. So afraid to make a mistake. My DDIL keeps reminding me that when she was "new" to the family and was struggling with (fabric) decisions, I told her to "just go for it. It's only fabric and not the end of the world." Can't seem to take my own advice. This board helps a lot.