Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your thoughts on... >

what are your thoughts on...

what are your thoughts on...

Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM

I bought a longarm so that I could quilt my own quilts. When I give them as gifts, and people ask if I made them, I wouldn't feel right just saying yes if I had someone else do the quilting.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM

I don't (at least I haven't yet) enter quilts in shows, but think that it's the execution and quality of the execution...from the color choices to the stitching, to the completed quilt that should be judged. I use patterns sometimes (usually change them up...find easier ways to do them), but mostly I do traditional quilts (Irish Chain, Carpenter's star, Lonestar, etc.)...For these, wouldn't they be judged on what fabrics I chose, how my stitching is, do my seams match up?, etc... then the quilting ... Did I choose a complementary design to quilt? Did I do the quilting? Binding...I think that plays a part...Do I want credit if I bind a quilt for someone? Not really... Do I want credit if I am the quilter? That would be nice, but not really necessary...unless it's a whole-cloth quilt...then the quilter should get credit. I put on hanging sleeves, and I don't expect credit for those. I guess it's in the hands of the group who make up their quilt show rules.

A judge, if they know who made a quilt...and that person is a pro...I'm betting the judge is being extra picky on that quilt, and they should be.

If you want "Best in Show"...spend 2-3 years on your quilts, as these pros do. We spend three months & feel it's a long time. It's very exacting work, doing a quilt when others expect so much from the work of the "pros"....they were once beginners too.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM

Why not? You made the quilt & paid to have it quilted...fair statement, right?
Originally Posted by ljfox View Post
I bought a longarm so that I could quilt my own quilts. When I give them as gifts, and people ask if I made them, I wouldn't feel right just saying yes if I had someone else do the quilting.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:02 PM

This is why I would never enter a quilt in a show. I don't think any of mine would win a prize but it would be disheartening to be up against a quilt that has already won several years in a row. Here in Brisbane one particular quilt was entered 3 years in a row and won something each time. I learned early on that the same people win year in year out. Yes the judges can pick their work. I used to deliver flowers and after a few months could pick most florist's work just by looking at it. I have seen quilts that have been featured in magazines and of course most people have seen the magazines. I think once a quilt has won and and been extensively featured in the media it's time to retire it and start on the next one. Entering work (which has already won in the big shows) in small local shows is pure greed on the makers part. How many accolade do they need. By all means put the quilt on display but leave the competition open for others. Just MHO.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM

We have a local guild quilt show here and last year I was amazed to find that the quilt which won "Best of Show" was a kit. I was extremely disappointed. I would think that category would include the piecer picking her own fabrics (even if she used a pattern) and executing the quilt top on her own. Now the actual quilting is another story....each quilt is broken down into "maker" and "quilter". IMHO.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Doesn't matter what you show in anything that you show, there is always questions. That is a "show" thing and if people don't like it I say don't show. Got to do the best you can and go on. I don't know how many quilt judges have time to sit around and visit blogs and then remember where they saw quilts in the process of being made. Seems like probably have more to do than blog hop. I think most judges do the best they can most of the time.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
If you're judging on design and piecing, then should it not be just a quilt top and not yet quilted? You're judging the workmanship of a quilt, then I think the LA quilter should be included, as it's his/her workmanship that is the quilting, not that of the person that pieced the top.

JMO, but paying for a skill like quilting is NOT the same as paying for an inert object like thread or binding. We all know that lousy quilting can ruin the looks of a quilt, just as fabulous quilting can make the quilt a work of art....
Oh I so agree. The person quilting should always be given credit. That is an art in itself. I have a great aunt who hand quilts for many people around the world and in shows she is always given credit for her beautiful quilting. I am a FMQ and I would be very upset if I were not given credit for quilting someone's beautiful peiceing. I
Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Quilting can make or break a quilt. It can be an exquisite quilt but the design of the quilting can ruin it. It does not matter if it is a panto, computerized, freehand, it is still machine quilted. It takes great expertise to do. It takes months of practice to be able to follow a panto perfectly, freehand perfectly, and yes, choose the correct pattern, size it to the quilt, do mirroring, insets, etc. perfectly. You don't just walk up to a LA and start quilting a competition quilt. There are things like what weight of thread to use, should it show or sink into the quilt, colors, batting, softly showing the design, a harder face like W&N where it is more of a flat surface. So many things go into deciding before you ever even load a quilt onto the machine. It is not easy, and it is a great responsibility. If the quilt does not lay flat when it comes to you, you have to try ironing it flat, then use your expertise to quilt it flat because the lady wants to take home a flat quilt. If it isn't loaded correctly, it will finish lopsided. So many things have to be taken into account. Don't think LA is easier than hand quilting or domestic machine quilting, even if computerized or pantos are used. They deserve their moment in the limelight if a quilt wins because it is partly their expertise in competition that made the quilt win.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 AM

I used to judge needlework shows and kits were used a great deal. So how to choose the best? 1. Quality of work 2. Selection of a well designed kit 3. Framing/finished choices that fit the design.

The same type of judging should go into quilt judging, of which I've done a fair amount. Used to judge a LARGE county fair with 300+ quilts by myself. One quilt was covered with animal hair--I mean covered! Declined to judge it, with a notation on the entry card that said, "I don't judge cat hair." I then opened the card up and discovered the maker's name. A very recognizable name!. Shame on her, she should have known better.

But to judge any kind of competition, the judge must be fair and consider the quality of the work from composition, color, overall appearance (for instance, do the borders/binding wave or are they flat and square), techniques used appropriately and quality of workmanship. It's not an easy judge to be impartial, but it is also very rewarding. Don't forget, a judge can recognize a friend's quilt in the competition. In that instance, she should do one of two things, disqualify herself from judging that category OR be impartial--and, yes, it is possible.
SandyQuilter
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
If someone is a famous designer/quilter and has a website and publishing patterns and books, making money from it,etc., why do they need the extra adulation of winning a prize? To me it reminds me of when they let professionals in the Olympics. The pros get paid millions of dollars, let the amateurs have the glory of winning the Olympics.

As far as more than one person working on the quilt, I used to hand quilt for a published designer/quiltmaker and I noticed when the books came out some of the captions would be, "pieced by Jane Smith" (not the author), "hand quilted by Barb" - so all the author did was design it. Not sure how I would feel about that if a quilt like that was entered in a show (as far as I know they weren't).

I'm kind of different here, but I'm kind of surprised that professionals have the time needed to actually piece their own quilts.

And it is often the amateurs who beat out the professionals at the Olympics, at least in technical point type things like ice skating and gymnastics. I guess the professionals get sloppy??

I've only seen quilts at the AK state fair and our local fair in FL, so I'm no expert on shows, but if the quilt is being judged on piecing, quilting, and binding, then, IMO, if different people did it, then they should all be listed as participants. I had no idea that anyone would enter a quilt that they hadn't done themselves--all of it. That seems part of it, to me.

However, as to the idea of precuts or kits, or whatever--i suppose it is whatever the rules are. If the rules say that it has to be an ORIGINAL DESIGN by the seamstress, then, so be it--all quilt kits should be eliminated. If however, there is nothing about it in the rules, then let them be. They probably won't win for originality, anyway, but if the workmanship is superb, then so be it.

Since I'm no professional, I didn't recognize any of the names of the "famous quilters" listed here so far. If someone had said "Quilter's Cache" or Bonnie Hunter, etc...then I'd recognize them...;0

Could someone link to a list of the typical rules for entering a quilt into a show?