Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's next? >

What's next?

What's next?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 PM

Got my aunts quilt done and the mystery quilt, otherwise known as the quilt from you know where, finished. Between wrong directions and sewing pieces to the wrong side of other pieces, horrible points (my worst ever), having to resew seams that messed up (many more than even my most exhauting day), this quilt drove me up a wall. The last straw was seeing that I sewed a bunch of blocks wrong (again) when I put all the block on the design wall. I was going to correct it, but my sis and I played with it and decided I could live with an alternative design. So my quilt's name is "Mystery quilt 2009, alternative #1"!!! Then to top it off, we were showing our quilts to our aunt and my dear sweet sis pointed out a block sewn in the wrong direction. I had to tear out the one block, turn and resew!! I have never done so much ripping out in my life. Oh and did I say the borders were on. That's it, I'm done!!!

So now, it's on to quilting 3 quilts that are waiting and getting started on my oldest (length of time, not age) friend's quilt. I have a reunion this July and want to take the quilt up to her while I am there. Yikes, that is sneaking up on me fast.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 PM

You don't want me on this post. With our dire financial hardship, I haven't spent any money for quilting since maybe last Spring. I was given a subscription for Pons&Porter mag but that ended in November. All this year I have been working out of my stash. My current project, this board's Pioneer BOM is being made out of fabric my physical therapist gave me since she no longer sews. This is no fun... I hate this!

So, what I spend on quilting per month is...
$0
Old 05-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

wow, Kathy you had quite a time with that mystery quilt, but I admire your tenacity. Now it's behind you. I have one for one of the grandbabies that sits on my design wall, and I am not crazy about ribbon I put on it, to cover wonky seams. Was a good color choice, and "fix", but it's a bit bigger than I would have liked. Maybe after reading how you just 'plowed on', I will make myself go ahead and finish and give to her. She knows about it, and has been sick a lot. Daddy is finally gonna take her back to dr. and get antibiotics.
So, now onward and upward to your friends quilt before reunion. I'll let that spring me on to a small project for a friend I am gonna see at end of month, that I want to give her. I don't get to see her often, either. she is two hours from me, so perfect opportunity. Let's do it! :wink:
Old 05-11-2009, 05:35 AM

I keep working and plodding along. I am pretty ok with the fact that my mystery, also called the quilt from you know where, is going to be my first UFO. Yeegads do I hate that thing!

I am almost finished hand quilting my queen string pieced star quilt. I'm glad it's almost done. I really have liked the progress I've made on it. I have the border material for my patriotic quilt for DS. Once this quilt is finished, I'll do that. I have to have it quilted and bound before he gets home. So...that's my next thing. I will be machine quilting it, with my walking foot. Should be fun.

After that's finished, I'll go back to my D9P's and keep plodding along on those. Hoping to finish them sometime this year!

I started working, so I have 3 weeks of nights and that cuts out all of my time. Starting next week I'll have better hours, so I'll have more time. All of my tv shows are going to be doing their finales soon, and that will free up lots of quilting time.

M
Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I guess it's all a toss up...if I was healthier, I would get more sewing/quilting done, but If I WAS HEALTHIER, I would have my butt at a job, so, we squeeze in, what we can.
I really gotta get going on those grandbaby laps, right after all these smaller 1,2,3,4...friend projects, and my stuff for living room. It's May, already...better get off pc! :D
Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 PM

Holy Cow! I got more done yesterday than I've gotten done in 6 weeks. All on the D9P's! I went ahead and pulled them out despite the kids being home. They all noticed that I was working on quilts and the fabrics are fun. Each child gave their opinion one fabric and it just so happens to be exactly what they were getting anyway. WooHoo!! I like it when I make the best fabric choices!

Originally, I had already pieced all the strips for the top and bottom rows of the 9 patch. I pieced the rest of the strips and cross cut them all. I ended up with enough for 14 blocks, not 16, so I ended up making 2 more 9 patch blocks for each of the 3. I think it's somewhere near 52? squares...yikes! All 16 9 patch squares for all 3 quilts are done. I pressed them, and when I meet them again, it will be time to make those 9 patches disappear!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM

Here's where I posted about what I've been working on.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/20289.page

Great thread. I'm glad so many folks have more UFO's than me! Makes me feel better!

And I ain't gonna list all of mine..... ;)
Old 05-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Motomom, I like your airplane quilt. I've never seen one like that, and I also like your avatar.
well, I have been on a lot of iron lately, and supposed to be on even more, but I have worked my way up, like they said, and doing the best I can. Point is, it is helping, and anything that helps me get my sewing/quilty stuff done, is a-ok with me.
Now, just a tiny um, what shall I call it...a vent,...not a gripe or a rant.
I have fabrics all bundled for all four of my grandbabies. Got to change 2 of them. No, not bc mom wants other colors. Nobody has seen my fabrics. I can't work that way.
I ask questions, and then go off on my own. I can't have anybody breathing down my neck. #2 and #4 grandbabies are sisters. One is in a toddler bed, and she is five. Have fabrics for a lap, and a twin size for her.
Also have lap bundle for the baby.
Now, mom and dad have decided due to small space, to put them both in a double bed. I can probably change Crystals to a double, but there goes two laps that they won't need. I guess i am going to make them anyway, and maybe they will use them for naps or watching tv.
I told my daughter, it is a good thing, she told me, before I cut Crystal's fabric. It is one of my favorite bundles. I'm gonna eventually make myself a quilt with those colors. I would have been upset, if it were cut for a twin 59 x 75, and needed to be 78 x 87 roughly.
I'm going to add more borders to her princess quilt to make it bigger.
It's easier to sew for adults, they are through growing! :D
Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

well, let's see, tomorrow is one of daughter's birthdays, so may not be on much.
I have been rearranging cave again. It always gives me a second wind. Moved my cutting station.
This is a really good move. I freed up a window that was blocked, and now I can open blinds too.
It's definitely been inspiring to have that daylight coming in. I have plenty of lights in there, but I love the outdoors. Got a good view of my car garage if I turn, so it's a-ok, that I am not facing it. In fact it is better for me. The glare would bother me.
Now, I can sit and do more than just cut, my area is bigger. I put some bins in front of the closet door to make more room where i really needed it. How often do I go in that closet? It's not that hard to move those bins, if I want in, so good move.
So, still getting ready to do those four projects i mentioned in last post, but have washed, dried and ironed a lot of fabrics, and working on more.
I am starting a BOM, but that's just a block at a time.
Also going to make 2 blocks for the kennedy joiner hands of hope quilt, that blocks are being gathered for. I hope more ppl join in. If not, maybe we will all do a row. I can only speak for me, but one of my girls has cerebral palsy and shriners did a lot....and I do mean, a lot...for her, so, quilts for kids, is important to me.
Also thinking about moving my ufo's out of cabinet, although, they are ok there. Still thinking on that one.
Feeling pretty good about the improvements and feel inspired to get some stuff done. onward and upward :D
Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Tonight I'll put the binding on a long-finished Jacob's Ladder. It's due to be delivered on Saturday (did I ever mention that I am a procrastinator?)

I think I'll make a label to read: "For my friend - Happy Birthment and Retireday."

Now I just hope the tendenitis doesn't kill the plan. It's a little challenging to hand sew with the braces on.