Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's next? >

What's next?

What's next?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Tonight I'll put the binding on a long-finished Jacob's Ladder. It's due to be delivered on Saturday (did I ever mention that I am a procrastinator?)

I think I'll make a label to read: "For my friend - Happy Birthment and Retireday."

Now I just hope the tendenitis doesn't kill the plan. It's a little challenging to hand sew with the braces on.
you know, i just can't decide if i am a procrastinator or not...I think i am definitely an emotionally driven quilter. I can only quilt when happy or content, but what I gotta remember, is, i get happy and content, when I go in cave.
When am I not content...oh, i schedule in a five minute...um, hmm, don't want to use foul language...not that I do, mindya...a negative break...every day or so...just to keep one from building up.
I save up all negative stuff, and for five minutes, I get to just be good and p.o.'d if I want...funny thing is...when you try stuff like that on purpose...nothing. Hubby volunteers to help with it, sometimes. He's good that way.
Martina, I love your label...that's clever. :wink:
Did you get tendonitis from fabric cutting?
sounds so painful! get really sharp pains in my right forearm and hand, sometimes when typing. It's bc of fibromyalgia and multiple chemical sensitivities, (allergies, of a sort).
Here's hoping your able to get your binding on...your almost there! woo hoo! get ready for the rush! :D
Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 PM

It does sound like your cleaning was productive. Hand sewing is difficult with braces on. My joints swell when it's humid. My knees and wrists especially, but those were injured a lot time ago. I have a hard time quilting, rocking the needle and such, with a brace on, but I can do the binding okay.

Last weekend, I took all of my completed 9Patches and cut them up and repinned them. All that's left on those 3 is assembly now. I am making another sampler that I have officially named Gramma's Sampler. A friend of mine, who appreciates quilting and other handmade art work, has offered me quite a mint for such a small quilt. I couldn't refuse it. I ordered the backing material today, and hope to go get all the top material this weekend. So far, I'm not nervous, but it is my first commissioned piece. Perhaps the nervousness will set in later.

I also have to pick an easy pattern for a couple of baby quilts that have been on my list this year. Hannah is 6 months old already and Yoshi has arrived and is now 2 weeks old. So much for getting his done on time. I'm happy for friends that are patient and understand it takes me FOREVER to get something done. That's why I'm hoping for cute, quick and easy for those 2 quilts.

M
Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 PM

My immediate project is doing a 2 Hour Tulip Bag, it is all laying on the cutting table ready to be cut out and made.
But my next big project is doint a Jewel Box Quilt, I have been accumulating the colors for about a year now and recently broke down and bought the background fabric. It will be a queen size quilt and I have not done one this size before so I am pretty nervous taking on something this long term. Since the quilting will be in straight lines I hope to be able to do it on my machine at home. Wish me luck!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Well, I got three sides down on the binding. Used the binding clips for the first time - BOY DO THEY WORK GREAT!!!!!!

I brought it in (unfinished) to show the gals at work and everyone ooohs and aaaahs and all I can see is the points that don't match and the pucker (I mean "kiss") in the middle.

At this point FINISHED before the deadline is better than perfect. lol

Yes, rotary cutting definitely helped do in my wrists in. Typing doesn't help either. But my job depends on it and my favorite hobbies too. So I grin and brace it.

I'll have a pic later. Whoohoo.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 AM

I managed to get in another sewing afternoon yesterday. All 3 D9P's are finally ready for assembly. I messed up somewhere on my 7 year olds and will need to be squared down..A LOT!!

I need to add the borders to my military DS's top so I can get it quilted.

I was commissioned at work to remake Gramma's Sampler. I can't believe it, I've never made anything like that before. It's exciting. While it's not a lot of money, I think it is for a quilt that's only 60 inches square. She knows how precious time is and wants me to be paid for my time. But I'm not going to start it until after I have DS's borders on. I've been thinking about making scallops or something in the border of his...we'll see.

M
Old 06-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

phooey! I was almost done with my reply and accidentally clicked, and :!: poof :!:
Sounds like everyone is getting some stuff done.
I mades some changes, bc I was typing and getting pains, and not spending enough time in cave.
I brought my timer in here, to get off my hiny, and took all my wip's out of cabinet, and re-sized boxes, to: 3" x 18" x 20".
That is an excellent project size for me. I stacked them on two shelves, right by my 3 machines, and put in order of priority.
I moved my cutting station, and it is fantastic now. It's bigger, and i put my stool and footstool there, so I can do all kinds of stuff, with less pain.
I am getting ready for a sewing/quilting marathon.
I brought my timer in pc room, to help limit pc time, and I'm ready to rock and roll.
I got two projects to finish up, this week, and then finish a mail project to a special buddy*, and then finish two dresses for gbaby, that originally were for her sister.
Then get my two doggies done for Christmas, a small w.h. for hubby's cousin, and move on to gbby quilts, a new tote for me, a charity quilt to honor someone special, and eventually, back to tulips and roses quilt, right after doing chicken lap quilt I started for a friend.
I am staying out of fabric stores for a few months to make up for recent purchases. They were an excellent idea, bc I got gobs of fabric at mark down prices...great backing fabrics, etc.
I finally got my cave pics posted, and excited to get some stuff done. happy creating to all. TTFN :D
Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Only have a couple minutes...as you can see from my last posting, I have been quite busy!
Re-sizing my WIP boxes, is turning out to be a really inspirational thing for me...like a self-challenge, and has me focused on these, instead of focused on, buying more and more an more.
I have been very good about not purchasing new stuff, since I am so busy with current projects.
Washing fabs right now. Will have to take to the laundy mat to dry, later today. Got four mail-off blocks, almost finished last night. One more touch to each and then off they go!
Really excited about this memory quilt. Will take pics for my quilt journal when finished.
So, busy, busy, busy, as we are going to take a mini vacation soon. We haven't done that in many years. Taking some of my stuff with me, and maybe some earplugs. Will be my hubby, my mom and one brother, on this little trip, and expecting them to say, "put that stuff away, your on vacation!" ....but for me,...quilting is a vacation...from everything else :wink:
Old 08-28-2009, 04:17 PM

Boy has it been forever since we posted in here! Shame on us!!

Well, the 3 D9P's are still waiting to be assembled. I hope to have them F******* by Christmas. DS Stairway to Heaven is quilted and ready for binding. He left Iraq for Kuwait, then Kuwait for Germany. He will be home with deployment over tomorrow night!!!

I became commissioned to repeat Grandma's Sampler and 7 of 9 blocks are done. Also, I crossed two baby quilts off my list and made afghans instead. They are done faster and don't have to compete with the other quilts made for the darling babies.

Anyone else making any progress??
Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

well, I have been posting most of my doings in diary, but couple projects are top secret, sort of, and they are not quite finished.
Getting blocks cut for BOM, and getting ready to jump on my Christmas stuff.
Having one of those days, were it's raining, and the 'temp' or atmosphere is not copacetic for sewing, so, what I had planned to do, today has only gotten partially done. Wish the DH would go find something to do, so I could get on with things.
I think I could do a few small things for Christmas if he would just get out of my hair! I have a new qu. magazine. Think I should go read that, and get in a better zone :wink:
Old 11-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Wow, I can't believe it's been 11 months since we started this thread. This was one of the most fun threads to be a part of. I think we should do another one for next year.....but that's jmho.

Happy to say that I never got around to making all those baby quilts, crocheted afghans instead. Too many quilters around the new bundles of joy, but few of anything else. My gift was still different than the rest. :)

I've worked hard the last few hours. The end is in site. I remade Gramma's Sampler, on commission this time. I put the binding on it this afternoon, so now to just hand stitch to the back.

The 3 D9P tops are all finished. Stitched the last seam today. Now, buy batting and backing. I'm just tie tacking them, so I can finish them in 3 weekends. As soon as I can get the pics loaded, I'll post them.

How are all of you doing?