Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's next? >

What's next?

What's next?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 AM

My number one project this year is to get a quilt made for my son. He is the only one I have not made one for in this large family....it keeps growing with friends adopting me (for a quilt ya think)? So he is top on the list, B'day is in August he will be 40. Perfect time I think. He is a Washington Redskin fan and collects wolves. I have found a wolf fabric for the front and a Washington Redskin fabric for the back. Killing 2 birds with one stone! Have several thoughts in my head for the front. Once this is done need to quilt about 10 quilt tops...most for charity.
Connie
Old 01-19-2009, 11:44 AM

I completely forgot one of the quilts that was on my to-do list for the year. I promised a friend over the summer that I would fix (redo) a baby quilt for her 6 year old that has fallen apart. The mom volunteered to purchase the fabric, which I let her do, and she wants to help cut and press. She doesn't quilt herself, but she understands the process of hand made arts and really appreciates that I would want to help her.

I told her after I finished quilting my Gramma's quilt, I would fix the baby quilt. I think only one or 2 of the nine patch blocks are salvageable...but she knows it won't be done in one day with help or without. I'm glad it's only 9 patches so I don't have to try to recreate anything more complicated.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

well, I said I wanted to post at least once a week to keep myself going. I have been working sloooowly on grandbaby's princess quilt and have had a lot of trouble.
This has been very disconcerting bc I am a pretty reasonable seamstress. I couldn't understand why some parts turned out great, but 'squaring' up my blocks has been really difficult. I know what the problem is now: newbie's you might want to take note, bc I wish I had known to be careful of this before.
I designed this quilt. The centers of four of the blocks are pre-printed panel blocks. I finally realized today after having to trim blocks some more, cutting off some of my best work, that in the very beginning when pressing the centers and first borders around them...I USED STEAM AND STRETCH THEM CATTYWHOMPUS! Everybody is always talking about steam, but if you read the quilting magazines, the experts reccommend using it for fusible but press, (DO NOT IRON BACK AND FORTH) ...I repeat....press your block with a dry iron.
If you are really good and can use steam, I applaud you. If your starting out and want to learn precision instead of frustration, don't use steam unless you WANT to stretch your blocks to make them fit.
I probably should be very discouraged with this quilt and there was a time i would have compulsively just about made the whole thing over. i feel good about knowing that I can accept it the way it is and the next one will be better. I hope to get the last two blocks on tomorrow and then I can work on the striped border for them. It's technically my fault that i have had all this trouble, bc I must have stretched those panels and then couldn't get things squared no matter what i did, but knowing this, let's me know It's not that I can't quilt half way decent. I am looking forward to a new project though.
Got another five year old granddaughter and hers needs to be finished, so it will probably be next. quilt and learn, quilt and learn....
Old 01-26-2009, 03:17 PM

I am now quilting the final borders on my Dad's birthday quilt. I have finished my row on the Christmas Row Robin and sent it to quilter #2. I have finished the top of the flying geese quilt and will quilt/or tie it as soon as I finish Dad's. I received the IRR Round 3 and will buy the fabric this weekend at the Hancock's sale. I am piecing the blue/yellow/white sassy 16 for me and DH. I am still in the planning stages for a 1 yr old's first bd quilt, but it is due by May so I have to start in February sometime. I am also doing the CT BOM Quilt With Us thingie. Will post pics of everything later in the week.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Quiltncrazy...you are making good progress. A wise quilter once said that quilter's don't make mistakes, they just change their design midstream. I learned a lot from my first few....kept things in perspective for me. Again, your DGD will love it.

Purplemem....you are a sewing fool aren't you?? Great progress on our dad's and the Row Robin. You are moving right along. Your dad's, The round, and the sassy 16 I'm sure will go by quickly.

I have 1 more block, the Grandmother's Fan to quilt and then Gramma's quilt will be ready. Unfortunately, my husband was laid off last week and it's put our trip on hold indefinitely. I'm trying to figure out if I should just send it in the post and have my aunt take a pic of her with it, or if I should just wait until my next trip out there. We shall see.

I have to get some measurements off of my friend's kid's quilt so I can start making the 9 patches to replace the ones that are completely destroyed.

Have a great week...and I'm sure we'll all stay in stitches.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

melissa wrote:
Quiltncrazy...you are making good progress. A wise quilter once said that quilter's don't make mistakes, they just change their design midstream. I learned a lot from my first few....kept things in perspective for me. Again, your DGD will love it.

As i wrote on another post, I am so excited. Melissa, what you said here about quilters changing their design midstream must have been a premonition, lol! I was inspired to, (haven't done it yet) put on a wavy green vine and then applique flowers to not only strengthen the 'skinny' outline borders, but to camoflage mistakes. I got last two blocks on today and two of eight borders, and did the machine stitching on applique block in center. That is probably the most I have gotten done in one day. My legs and feet are swollen but I am so happy. Now I just gotta go shopping bc I want to get a green as close to the one in the blocs as I can, or I might use a jumbo rick rack. Don't think that will be wide enough. Input from this board has opened up new possibilities...yippee...you must be psychic, lol! :wink:
Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
melissa wrote:

As i wrote on another post, I am so excited. Melissa, what you said here about quilters changing their design midstream must have been a premonition, lol! I was inspired to, (haven't done it yet) put on a wavy green vine and then applique flowers to not only strengthen the 'skinny' outline borders, but to camoflage mistakes. I got last two blocks on today and two of eight borders, and did the machine stitching on applique block in center. That is probably the most I have gotten done in one day. My legs and feet are swollen but I am so happy. Now I just gotta go shopping bc I want to get a green as close to the one in the blocs as I can, or I might use a jumbo rick rack. Don't think that will be wide enough. Input from this board has opened up new possibilities...yippee...you must be psychic, lol! :wink:
I know where you're coming from with the swollen legs and feet. I have a big issue with that. Here's what I find helps. I wear my tennis shoes that lace up tight. (Even when I'm in my jammies on "jammie day." -- It's not a pretty sight. :oops: ) I also do the same when I'm standing with my cake decorating. And it really helps. Don't know why, but the feet don't swell and get all tingly. (As my GGD said once, "my feet are all SPARKLY." :lol: )
Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

GailG wrote:
know where you're coming from with the swollen legs and feet. I have a big issue with that. Here's what I find helps. I wear my tennis shoes that lace up tight. (Even when I'm in my jammies on "jammie day." -- It's not a pretty sight. ) I also do the same when I'm standing with my cake decorating. And it really helps. Don't know why, but the feet don't swell and get all tingly. (As my GGD said once, "my feet are all SPARKLY." )

I never would have thought of that. If I wear those nylon knee hi's (as i do under long dresses for church) I swell a lot, so I avoid anything snug or tight. I'll have to give this a try. THANKS!!! :D
Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM

I finished the top for DS's quilt today. Since it was on my resolution list to get this top done, I did post pics in the sister thread. It felt great to get that done.

Now onto the next item on the list!!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

ok, here's my list of accomplishments for January 09:
*reorganized entire sewing room...threw out many odd items I had kept for sewing or crafting (I am proud of that, and I will brag)
*finished an apron for my daughter
*mended w/appliques I made...granddaughter's jeans
*made a pillow for my bed with some upholstery fab and large snaps for washing cover
*got shelf in sewing room fixed...but that's not really my accomplishment...it's hubby's
**made a, geesh-louise gone blank! (lol, wrote blanket! 1st time) - flannel, board to put up my blocks etc. ??? I know I know what that's called
*started and in the middle of granddaughter #2's princess quilt
*started #2 another overnight-at-nana's - bag
*purchased some pastels for a backing and more :oops:
*made many new quilting friends online!!! :D