Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's next? >

What's next?

What's next?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

good grief! Lol, melissa, (mpeters), I called you Jim'sGem on another post. married you off to someone else. (Not as big a faux pas as I posted yesterday though.:oops:)
Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 PM

After recently moving and downsizing our living area and my sewing area, I plan to organize the barn/shed I have for my sewing room. I just have to be patient for warmer days. After that, watch out I have more ideas than I can shake a yard stick at.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

alright Deara! :D
on days like today that I couldn't possibly sew,
my #2 grandbaby out of 4, is here...
so i had to play tea party, Bingo, watch dvd's, make a house of of card and kiddie tables...she loooved that, of course I have to make every animal in the toy box talk...
well, I just come and go on here...will be back to my machine in a few days. her mama is on the mend.
every post where somebody is accomplishing stuff just helps keep me going. So y'all please post, post, post what you are doing. It's inspiring! and don't forget to put your pics on, "What's next in pictures". :D
Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
alright Deara! :D
on days like today that I couldn't possibly sew,
my #2 grandbaby out of 4, is here...
so i had to play tea party, Bingo, watch dvd's, make a house of of card and kiddie tables...she loooved that, of course I have to make every animal in the toy box talk...
well, I just come and go on here...will be back to my machine in a few days. her mama is on the mend.
every post where somebody is accomplishing stuff just helps keep me going. So y'all please post, post, post what you are doing. It's inspiring! and don't forget to put your pics on, "What's next in pictures". :D
The same with me. Sewing is out of the question right now. Maybe in March. Got the wedding cake and the groom's cake done last week. Now I have to rev up for another one on the 28th of this month. This week, I'm reorganizing the closet that houses all of my "cake stuff." What a mess it was. I'm having a hard time getting all the stuff back into the closet. (Does that mean that I need to throw some of it away?????)

Keeping up with the posts of those who ARE sewing keeps me interested and is an incentive for me to get going as soon as I can. So all you quilters keep on stitching and posting. You're a wonderful bunch. :lol:
Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM

quiltncrazy you enjoy those grandbabies for me. Mine are too far away and I just get to interact through the computer which I am hugely thankful for but just enjoy every minute and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
good grief! Lol, melissa, (mpeters), I called you Jim'sGem on another post. married you off to someone else. (Not as big a faux pas as I posted yesterday though.:oops:)
Quiltcrazy....I know I have been tired lately, but I didn't realize I was so tired that you called me Jim's Gem. I missed it somewhere....maybe Jim's Gem caught it and looked at her computer all funny.

I had no idea you did it.

The friend of mine has volunteered to "help" me get her kids quilt together. At first I wasn't sure what kind of "help" a non quilter could give...well, I've decided I will take her help for sure.

I dumped all of my smaller cuts of apholstery fabric on the table and she went through and picked 72 pieces for 8 blocks. She needed one more, (and she was organizing it while going through it too as I just had it in the bag) and I put a block together so I can contribute a bit more than thread and time. I've had this apholstery fabric forever so I'm not charging her for it. She's purchasing the backing and binding...oh and batting too. And she's been giving me peptalks while she helps me organize stuff by color. I'm colorblind so it's great having someone who can "see" to help out.

Now, I need to make sure all the pieces are washed and get to piecing!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

you know I had forgotten that you said the other day that you were "tonal" blind...I am too!!!
My mom used to think I was messing around when she sent me after something and I kept saying I couldn't find it. Then I saw an eye doctor.
My boyfriend who became my husband (of 31 years now), used to make fun of me when he would say, "Did you see that __ colored car?" and I would say no.
Then I had kids and they would say, "no, mom, that shirt is __, your color blind remember?"
I guess ppl wonder how we can quilt. For me, I use "true" lights, put things up against white-white and go ask other ppl. Somehow I manage. I don't know if I don't see what other ppl see, or our brains interpret stuff differently. Does that make sense?
...and I like pastels as well as iridescents. we'll see what reaction I get when i get some quilts made and post pics.
anyway, I thought that was interesting that we both have that problem, but we love to do something that's all about color. :D
Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 AM

My hardest thing is to differenciate the reds. Red red and dark red, okay I know those. But peach, coral, pink, orange and any color variation of those and I have no clue. I was really worried about having 2 pinks in Gramma's sampler. I'm so glad a friend went with me because she said one was orange and one was pink. What are the odds!

My kids make fun of me all the time. It's the slight variations I have a hard time with. The blue greens are kinda hard to, but green is my favorite color...so it's more the bluey greens I have a hard time with.

My eye doctor must be silly. He swears I am not color blind as my red and green are fine. He also said that it's usually men who are color blind. Well...I can see red and I can see green, but that doesn't mean I can see anything else!! lol
Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 AM

I, too, am a female who is color blind. All the males in my family are red/green color blind. The females are orange/brown color blind. I flunked the test (again :D ) just last week. (It is a little more sophisticated than the red/green test).

Your eye doctor is ill-informed. Red/green is the dominate color blind gene but orange/brown is the recessive, if a family gene pool has both genes than any variation will show up.

I also have friends check my colors, but I see tones better than they do and values better. Color blindness is a very strong trait in Native American families.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

my problems, (I guess, since everything looks good to me, but I have been tested),must be with shades of the lighter greens and yellows and the lighter blues and purples.
The first clue when being tested, (I was 10), were those tests with dots. I don't know what they are called, but I couldn't see anything but dots, nothing in particular. Then they said there was a picture or number or something.
I have seen some and was able to make out a difference in some of the dots, but not a whole picture.
My dad is color blind and I think his is the red and greens. nobody else in family that I know of. I would not have ever known, simply bc you don't know you don't see something exactly the way it looks to you.
To me, I don't feel like I have a problem at all. well, sometimes in fabric stores I ask the clerks about two or three bolts and get them to confirm or whatever. hmmm, hope this doesn't have anything to do with kids reactions to some gifts in past. i don't think so. I think the colors were fine, the sewing was good, maybe they thought the design was 'old'.
oh well, they seem to think and I agree, I have improved immensely. Learning all about quilting and studying books about values, tones, etc. has given me a more refined, or varied taste. Is that an oxymoron? Even if it is, that's me! :lol: