Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's next? >

What's next?

What's next?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by blahel
Well i had planned on making mum a lap quilt for when she is in her wheelchair but life has its ups and downs and unfortunately mum passed away before i could even start making it. i already have the fabrics which i had specially selected for her and now i just look at them and stroke them and think of mum.
But life goes on and because i am a newbie to quilting I take forever to make anything.I still enjoy the challenges that quilting brings and am looking forward to trying progressively more difficult projects.
I have just started making my 16 year old son a drunkards path quilt in black and white but dont hold your breath as it could be years before it is completed! :roll:
I think i will make the cats a blanket each as well this year as they are definitely achievable for me! My other thought is to make my dad a quilt but want to make him something really special so will have to put my thinking cap on...
Everytime I read about your mom's quilt it reminds me of my first quilt. It was a lap quilt for my mom in a nursing home. I did get it done, and she did get to enjoy it for awhile. She was so proud of it (she was a sewer, but never made a quilt). After she passed, I got the quilt back and put it away in her cedar chest (she called it a hope chest).....I'm going to bring it out and use it. The idea of you making her quilt is a wonderful idea. I hope it brings you much comfort and memories......
Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
first on my list is to finish this secret wallhanging for - who else- my sister.

the space is 48 x 64 and the blocks are 9". i have 11 done and i'll play it by ear. i'll add borders of two colors from the blocks. i'll keep making blocks until i get tired of them (soon).
LOL! my 9" blocks turned out to be 10". good for me. less to do. i have done 15 of them and i've come to the end of the road. the scraps have given out at the same time that i have. when i add a 2-color border, the wallhanging will be 48 x 64. exactly the right size. will post when it's finished (at last).

this just doesn't 't want to get done! and i refuse to finish another project until it is.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by patty48
Originally Posted by blahel
Well i had planned on making mum a lap quilt for when she is in her wheelchair but life has its ups and downs and unfortunately mum passed away before i could even start making it. i already have the fabrics which i had specially selected for her and now i just look at them and stroke them and think of mum.
But life goes on and because i am a newbie to quilting I take forever to make anything.I still enjoy the challenges that quilting brings and am looking forward to trying progressively more difficult projects.
I have just started making my 16 year old son a drunkards path quilt in black and white but dont hold your breath as it could be years before it is completed! :roll:
I think i will make the cats a blanket each as well this year as they are definitely achievable for me! My other thought is to make my dad a quilt but want to make him something really special so will have to put my thinking cap on...
Everytime I read about your mom's quilt it reminds me of my first quilt. It was a lap quilt for my mom in a nursing home. I did get it done, and she did get to enjoy it for awhile. She was so proud of it (she was a sewer, but never made a quilt). After she passed, I got the quilt back and put it away in her cedar chest (she called it a hope chest).....I'm going to bring it out and use it. The idea of you making her quilt is a wonderful idea. I hope it brings you much comfort and memories......
Yes Blahel, make your Mom's quilt and YOU use it. It will bring you much comfort.

And as for your son's quilt, take as long as you need to take to make it. He will have it when he has it. :lol:
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM

I thought I'd come in and post a bit about the things on my list I'm working on.

I did start to remake the top of my friend's daughter's quilt. I will post before and after pics when it's done. I'm keeping the same pattern, but the fabrics on the top will be completely different. I'm going to try to get the same color sashing as what's on their now and use the same backing as it's in great condition.

I'm tossing around ideas in my head about DS's quilt. The top is finished, but I'll be adding borders before I make the sandwich. I'm trying to decide if I want to machine quilt it (straight line, I don't meander well), hand quilt it using stencils, or tie tack it. I just have no idea.

I got a little fabric earlier in the week to start my next DS's quilt. He's 7 and loves Thomas the Train so he's getting it in a D9P pattern. Will purchase coordinating fabrics and post pics when I have them all together.

How are your 2009 lists coming along? I can't believe I'm getting so much done!

Melissa
Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

well I did very well for Jan. 09, now we are up to Feb. 11, 09.

Because my youngest daughter had to be hospitalized, their granny, their daddy, who has some health issues, and myself, nana,...I come with my own bag of stuff, but did pretty good thru this. We all had to take turns with babies.
I got just a bit of work done on princess quilt.
I re-organized sewing room again, bc dh let me order a new machine yesterday! I am keeping the old one, so had to make some room. I am going to hop back and forth between these machines, and when it's time for a tune-up on one, (which is probably soon), I'll have the other.
It takes my dealer a while to get done with machines and i just can't stand the withdrawal, but wanted to upgrade anyway.
I picked fabrics from stash for gbaby #4's quilt. haven't decided on a name yet. It will be a crazy quilt w/ motifs. funny, I had book and idea and fabrics and then someone posted one. I loved hers.
These fabrics are a bit bright as there is some glitter in border fabric. I would have rathered there wasn't. Just not into glitter, but the colors were so pretty, I went with it anyway.
That's pretty much all I have gotten done quilt wise in past week, but very satisfied with myself, bc i have been very busy.
Daughter is home, baby took off and walked that very day! I have a new machine coming and around a couple more appt.s I am getting a new wind in my sails for my projects. Onward and upward!!! :wink:
Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Even though I can't be working on quilts these days (and won't be until March) I am trying to stay in the "quilting mode" until the time arrives. Today I "stumbled" onto the box that contained the remaining fabric samples from my dear deceased cousin. I had made a quilt with some of the samples and finished it in January. (It was my "oldest" UFO.) Anyway, I put the pieces out where I could work on them during the day between tasks. What I did was cut the pieces in 6" blocks, and two- or three-inch strips. The rest was put in a pile of "strings." Don't know what I'll be doing with them, but they'll be closer to becoming a quilt since they are all cut. I can cut the 6" blocks into 3' squares or diagonally cut them into triangles, etc. Any ideas????????

Have been under the weather and saw the Dr. yesterday. The meds have put me into slow motion. Took a walk in the cool air tonight. Feeling better already.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Gail,
I don't know exactly what size the blocks were, but you could make them any size you want. There is a pattern called, "Birds in the Air". that has a triangle for 1/2 of the block and smaller triangles for other half.
Your could use strips on that half, instead of the smaller triangles.
Just sew different colored strips together and then cut a triangle from that piece to fit 1/2 of the block. Hugs to you, hope you feel better. Meds are a two sided coin, aren't they?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 PM

You guys are doing great. Life happens, we can't quilt 24/7!

This is the first time I've ever gotten so much done so quickly. I made 1 quilt that overlapped two years, a lap size that took me from May 2007-January 2008, and 1 disappearing 9 patch. I've gotten one full quilt and one top done already this year. I never get that much done with anything. If I don't have time to sew another seam all year, I'll still have a lot accomplished.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Gail,
I don't know exactly what size the blocks were, but you could make them any size you want. There is a pattern called, "Birds in the Air". that has a triangle for 1/2 of the block and smaller triangles for other half.
Your could use strips on that half, instead of the smaller triangles.
Just sew different colored strips together and then cut a triangle from that piece to fit 1/2 of the block. Hugs to you, hope you feel better. Meds are a two sided coin, aren't they?
Thanks. I've already made one block of "Birds in the Air." I think it was for the URR quilt. That would work well with these prints. I'd need to find a good neutral to serve as the background that would pull all of the different fabrics together. I will definitely give that a try. Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Gail,
Just in case you do decide to go with this pattern, I found it in my book:
Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns by Leisure Arts.
101 All Time Favorites
anyway, if you have not seen this quilt, it's quite beautiful. Quilter is Mary Ann Keathley. She appliqued ten birds randomly over center of quilt. Her blocks were 7 1/2" x 7 1/2".
finished Quilt size: 72 1/2" x 87 1/2"