Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's next? >

What's next?

What's next?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 AM

I made a baby quilt over the week end for a shower this month (how about that- done ahead of time!) Have the mystery quilt (planet patchwork) on Step 3, forgot to print out the fan template so I will do this today and finish that this week. Cut out a lap quilt for BF, will finish this week too.

Starting reading the pattern for DH and my quilt. I decided to move it to the top of the list as his whining is pathetic everytime a quilt leaves the house. Of course, I need to make the shams, bedskirt and curtains to match too. I can't wait for this- I LOVE the fabric and it will look awesome. I'm even going to splurge and take it to be quilted professionally.

Then, back to the list of other quilts to make. Two wedding showers this year that I want to make some table runners, placemats, etc. for prizes. Then there's the 6 tote bags for the bride and 5 maids for DD's wedding in June. Using the mystery quilt as 1 for the reunion ones I make, so I only have 1 more to make for August. I will make a list at home and tack it on the wall and keep plugging away.

I will not start another project without finishing the one I'm working on, so my list should get marked off and anything new will have to go to the bottom of the list. No UFOs or WIPS! Need to stick to it!

Barb
Old 01-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Fabricluvr
I had not heard that the Cricut system would cut fabric.
I've been looking at the Accucut - but even the AccuCutGo is $400
and the dies are $200 for each set.
Please post about the CriCut system and how it does for you.
Thanks,
MJ
Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
My list is way too long :-o

I'm completing my second round of IRR
Making Christmas blocks for the RR
Making Blue/White stars for exchange
Gathering fabrics for Valentine exchange
UFO list:
Finishing my BF's wedding quilt-only 2 years now! :shock:
Finishing quilt for my Dad, his 84th BD is the end of this month-will post pics soon. On row 2 of 3, and all cut out. Will quilt by hand, hopefully with finish on time---- :?:
Making a quilt for gniece, pattern and fabrics bought
Making a quilt for gnephew, pattern and fabrics bought
Have quilt cut out for son, who helps support me
Have fabrics for a quilt for ME, a turning twenty in french blue, yellow, and white-will complete this year
Have two quilts in the planning stage - but will finish above FIRST

Now that I have discovered my sewing machine, piecing is going MUCH faster :wink: but the hand quilting is not. I did find a wonderful set of quilting sharps with big golden eyes at Hancocks that is making the hand quilting go smoother.

I really love this board, it keeps me going on days I have no energy.
Thank you for being my strength.
This is exactly why I refuse to list all my "things to do" or WIP. I would be a basket case just looking at the list.

I agree with this wise woman that this board gives me strength. Today is one of those days that I have zilch energy. And I have sooooo many things to do. I've been awake since 12:15 this morning. Yes, 12:15. Took a 10-minute cat nap around 4:30. So what am I doing instead of tackling all my chores and/or projects -- I'm sitting here doing this.

I have so much to do that I'm overwhelmed. Don't know WHERE to START. I should have gone with my DD when she called to see if I wanted to meet her at WalMart. The weather is so nasty outside, I declined. SHOULDA GONE. :lol:
Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Fabricluvr
I had not heard that the Cricut system would cut fabric.
I've been looking at the Accucut - but even the AccuCutGo is $400
and the dies are $200 for each set.
Please post about the CriCut system and how it does for you.
Thanks,
MJ
i just saw it in an infomercial over the weekend. that was what i needed to push me over the edge and buy one (i also scrapbook and make cards). i googled it and found where lots of people do this. they apply the heat 'n bond and then cut the applique out with the cricut. i'm looking forward to giving it a whirl! hope to have my machine next week sometime (it has to come all the way from Utah!). then i have to download the software so i can hook the cricut up to the 'puter! fun!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Here's my list so far:

blue and white star swap - finished just have to get in the mail
christmas row round robin - finished my row, have to put in the mail
ladies at the beach applique wall hanging for my sister - started yesterday
purple and gold quilt for DD for college - have to finish by August
red/white/blue quilt for auction - would like to finish by Memorial Day
king size star quilt for BIL/SIL - finish before they move to Germany ~1 yr

I think that'll keep me busy for a bit. I hate to work on more than one thing at once, so tend not to have ufo's hanging around. Of course, I have a loooong list of things I'd like to do, just haven't decided which ones to start yet.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM

I'm still working on my daughters quilt. It is from an old Fons and Porter book. One block is a green and white Irish Chain and the other block is a star. I'm making different colored star block. My daughter's quilt has about 20 stars to finish and then I will put on the border.

I watched all of you working on the UR last summer and swore I was going to do one too. My neighbor and I decided that each of us would make one. We're meeting each Wed. to talk about it (except for guild night Wednesday).
I had fun going through my stash to find the material for this quilt.

I want to make a third project on my treadle machine. I want to make the radiant star by Eleanor Burns on my treadle machine. I believe it is also called the Lone Star. I thought her system would work well with sewing it on the treadle sewing machine. I haven't decided on the colors yet so it is still in the planning stage.

Three projects, all in different phases. This year should be fun.

:lol:
Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Banned

OMG, what a group of incredibly busy, organized, active, ambitious, creative, generous quilters we have here!! I feel like a slug for only listing my very next project and not all the ones after that, but I only do one at a time...or else I'd never finish ANYTHING. :oops:

My significant work in progress is this one:
When I cleaned out my mother's house after her death in 2002, I found an "almost" queen sized plaid wool patchwork quilt top that she had "almost" finished. One row of patches was still pinned to the main body. It was made from fabrics that she and I had bought together long, long ago from a shop that sold wool for rug braiding, in 20" wide strips 6 yards long. I still had some of my matching fabrics, so I added a row of patches all the way around hers, sort of embracing her work :oops: , and making it truly queen sized. The backing is solid, though in 20" strips of navy and cranberry, and it is sandwiched and pinned. I plan to do various hand embroidery stitches in crewel yarn (also left by my mother), to "tie" this one simply because the top is far from flat and because my mother taught me a great deal about crewel embroidery back in the '70s when it was "the thing to do" (does anyone else remember Erica Wilson??). I will probably just tie it temporarily and bind it so I can use it and embroider at my own speed over the next year or so. I call it "Mom's Quilt" and the label will say pieced by Kay, finished by Janet. This is one that I am keeping, that's for sure. It will be left to my daughter, who has been told it's history already. Lots of love and hugs and memories in that quilt!! :oops: :D

And, fabricluvr, I still have to sew the binding on one last Christmas quilt, so you're not alone in that category! :wink:
Old 01-05-2009, 08:33 AM

Forgot to add that I need to make my mom's memory quilt. I have her clothes, but I want to use more than that, so I'm taking the next year or so and building my "stash". I can't buy fabric very often, so I'll see what I end up with this time next year. But it's the most important thing on my to do list and I want to make sure I have all the time and fabric I can for it. I also have to get around to picking out a pattern too. Sometimes, that takes forever by itself.

To the wonderful quilter whose mother just passed away, use those fabrics for a quilt for YOU. I agree with the other quilters that everytime you snuggle under it you will think of her. Make it special for you. A throw, couch size or bed size...whatever YOU want. It'll be good for you. I promise. I no longer keep my mom's machine in it's case, but I use the case for current projects so I can thin of her often. She never quilted, but she sewed.

Here's a challenge: as we work on things throughout the year, we should periodically post about how we are doing on the projects on the list. I think it would be a great year-long thread to keep up on .
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 AM

I'm just shocked you have your house straightened up from the holidays :shock: :shock: I've just finally cleared everybody out :D Now I have to finish up the paint in my son's room so all his junk can go from my sewing room and I can get in to do anything!! Gotta love life's little interuptions :lol: :lol:
Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 AM

I got EQ6 from my dh for Christmas, so I've kind of gotten sidetracked from actual quilting :-) , BUT I have a table runner for my sofa table in the planning stages. Then, a couch throw for a dear friend and a baby quilt for another friend who's due in May (I have plenty of time to get that one done). Also want to do another flannel throw for MY couch. I think that's enough for starters. I have a couple of snowman applique wall quilts I started before Christmas that are just going into a UFO pile for now. I've had so much trouble with them (one for me, one for my daughter), that I just don't want to deal with them right now. Maybe if I put them aside for a while I can deal with them later. Right now I want to do something that isn't frustrating, so probably the table runner comes first!