Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the oldest fabric you have?

I have some from the late 80's - that was when the first quilt bug bit me. But, aside from collecting eight or ten yards of fabrics that I liked and buying a couple of books, that's as far as I got.

When I realized that it was so complicated and that I was going to have to buy a much bigger variety of fabrics, I lost interest. I was really into "fast and easy" crafts back then - to have a pretty something-or-other to show for it at the end of the day.

kwendt - I remember Dacron!! My mom was a "beautician" & back in the 50's & 60's, by TX state law, hair dressers had to wear white uniforms and white shoes - they looked like nurses. In the late 50's Dacron was invented and my mom was thrilled that those white uniforms were being made of this new wonder fabric...it was drip dry, non-wrinkle, repelled stains! Wow! She finally didn't have to starch and iron those white uniforms.

Blog Entries
    I have some I received from my MIL that is probably 50 yrs old. I bought some in Mexico in the early 70's that I still haven't any idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Plain Jane
    I'm new to quilting but have always done crafts and I just found a box of fabric. I've spent the afternoon playing with fire...burn testing for fiber content (learned that here!) and going through it. I found panels from 1981! Is that almost antique? Vintage? The amazing thing is that I have moved multiple times and evidently this box made it with me every time. Amazing.
    So how long have you kept fabric?

I still have several large pieces of red plaid flannel, several yds of taffeta, cotton shirting, various cotton fabrics & corduroy that came from my grandfathers fabric shop. He died in 1960 and had been retired for several years. I also have 6 yards of silk shantung (sp) and 6 yds silk sari fabric from 1966. Just can't seem to use it up.

I found a piece from my daughters 4th grade pioneer dress I made. She is almost 30.

I have boxes and boxes from the 40's, 50's and 60's.....some of them have the original receipts attached.

I have some from at least the 1930's maybe older. I have some that is marked 25cents a yard, not sure the dating on that, and some from when my daughters were babies in the 1980s

Blog Entries
    Probably 6 to 7 years ago I made a jr bridesmaid dress for a wedding my daughter was in to match the bridesmaids. Well to make a long story short we just pulled out the stash from it to alter her sweet sixteen dress to go to her junior prom. Don't know if i own anything older than that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have some going back to early 1900's...

Blog Entries
    [quote=Jennifer22206]I have some of my grandmothers, who got most of her stash from her father who was a clothier in the 1910's.. does that count as old?
    ---------------------------------------
    I'd say that went beyond old and is now up to "Antique", which will make it that much more valuable.

I'd make some wall hangings for myself and family, with a panel on the front telling of its background. This is a family heirloom.

I have a large Dresden that was made by my gggrandmother in the mid 1800's. It is not like I have material, just that one item. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plain Jane
    I'm new to quilting but have always done crafts and I just found a box of fabric. I've spent the afternoon playing with fire...burn testing for fiber content (learned that here!) and going through it. I found panels from 1981! Is that almost antique? Vintage? The amazing thing is that I have moved multiple times and evidently this box made it with me every time. Amazing.
    So how long have you kept fabric?
    I have some in a box from 1995 somewhere, but my husband has put it in the attic and I not able to get up there...I ask him about it but right now he just not interested in getting it for me...

:|

The oldest fabric I have is feedsack material from my grandmother. I'm currently using some of it in an appliqued fan quilt. Love it.
    M

Blog Entries
    I have some squares from 3o years ago.

Same time as you - 1981.

OK so i have fabric from say 1977 that i purchased to make a log cabin quilt from either family circle or woman's day magazine. Was going to be my wedding quilt.Had to make paper patterns and hand cut the pieces. Then my mom passed down some yo-yos from my grandmother who passed in '88. I remember her sewing back in the '60's early '70's. She was so happy that i learned to sew in '68 but didn't approve of using patterns. She cut her own. I would say the yo-yos were from the '60's.

Blog Entries
    I purposely kept lace left over from making my wedding dress (1966) still waiting to use it! Also kept scraps from fabric when I made clothes for my daughter who is now 40 yrs old. It's like looking at old photographs.

Blog Entries
    I have some given to me by a friend which is from the 1930s. It is authentic feed sack.

Early 1900s------wool pieces for a brickwalk quilt one of these days---and lots of scraps back to great-grandma!

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I have a few quilt blocks from my grandmother from the 50's...I have a quilt that I made when I was 9 years old...That makes the fabric about 50 years old...

I just finished a quilt made from my mother's stash. She would have been 100 this year. Some of the fabric is of the 30's era. I guess that makes it about 70 years old.

Blog Entries
    I have a few feed sacks from the 40's or early 50's.

Blog Entries
    I have fabric that I got when I was a child that is from the seventies. I have quilt squares and other fabric from my mother and my grandmother but the actual age is unknown but it predates the seventies.

Blog Entries
    I have feedsacks, fabric from the 20's and 30's I picked up at estate sales. I love old fabric...all is 100% cotton. My favorite quilts are from the 30's or earlier.

Blog Entries
    When my MIL passed away in 1997, I found her stash...lots of crazy quilted cotten fabrics on squares from fabrics that she had been making clothes for the family for YEARS!!!!! Don't even know how far back some of them go. I also have 5 or 6 yardage of seer sucker...don't know how old, but must go back several years before she passed on. She had not been able to see for 10 or more years, so that would put it easily back in the 70's or before!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast