Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the oldest fabric you have?

Morning
    I have fabric from my mother, when I was a small girl. It is Bubble gum pink. I use it very sparingly. I will be 64 next month, so it is at least 50+ years old and like new.
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

I have some from the early 50's, but I also have some feed bag material that is stoed away which my mother had in the 30's.

I have some from the 30s on up to present. need to put them on here for sale as I am not going to do anything with them. Need to get a round tuit.

now live in Chandler, AZ, but a Boston native
    While I have a huge stash of current fabrics (I'm thankful now that cotton has gone sky high!), I also have several small pieces of fabric from when my Mom made my clothes, etc. from the 40s and 50s. I actually used some of them when I was doing a "vintage" teddy bear project.

Well, I have not quilted long enough to gather fabric that is very old. I think my oldest is about 4 yrs young

I picked up some really great vintage pieces from an estate sale and from another gal in need of cash that was selling much of her stash. I believe the oldest is the 30's and some definitely from the 40's. Great stuff. Have a lot of feed bags too.

Hmmm. The oldest fabric I have is probably from the early 1900's...some of my grandmother's. Those precious pieces have gradually been going into quilts for the family so there is not all that much left.

I received from fabric from my grandmother that dates to around 1969.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102169-1.htm

The rest of my stash is not that old; maybe from the early 1990s

I bought some Pendleton wool at their outlet store in Washougal WA about 25 years ago. I have it in my cedar chest so the bugs won't get it. I really need to do something with it. It is absolutely beautiful wool.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn
    I have some from when Moses was a baby. lol
    This one made me giggle, now that's some old stuff! Thanks for the laugh!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My first child was born in 1971. When she was 3 or 4 I made her a stuffed elephant out of 2 or 3 pink and white double knits. She carried that elephant everywhere, lost it once and was lucky enough to get it back but then the years went by and we don't know what it's fate was.
    A couple of years ago I found some of the original scraps from "Pinky" and got another pattern for the same elephant. I made her another "Pinky" for her 38th birthday.
    She told her kids, "hands off". she is taking care of this one.

Okay, so compared to many of you, let me rephrase.

I have some very current fabric in my stash. Only thirty years old!

Oh my, I'd forgotten about Dacron! Those were the good ole days, weren't they. Such a miracle of no ironing - and now we're all so gung ho natural fabrics so out come the irons again!
    Quote Originally Posted by texpat45
    kwendt - I remember Dacron!! My mom was a "beautician" & back in the 50's & 60's, by TX state law, hair dressers had to wear white uniforms and white shoes - they looked like nurses. In the late 50's Dacron was invented and my mom was thrilled that those white uniforms were being made of this new wonder fabric...it was drip dry, non-wrinkle, repelled stains! Wow! She finally didn't have to starch and iron those white uniforms.

Antique? Vintage? Sorry can't stop laughing, I have fabric, patterns and even lace older then that.

Since my mother's death on March 2 I have inherited her stash. So far I have found yardage that measures 36" wide and have not seen that since my high school days - 36 years ago. I also have some blocks that were sewn by my great grandmother and her daughter-my grandmother. These are of 1930's fabrics--not repros, the original stuff. I continue to unearth more treasures every day! I was told there is a box in the attic with scraps from the clothes mom made us when we were babies (us kids range from 57 yrs to 51 yrs old). Can't wait to find that box!

LOVE IT!! :lol: :lol: :lol: That describes my closet to a 'T'.

On a vacation to California in the late 1960's I purchased some cotton novelty fabric, cats at play. Still remember the very large fabric shop right near Los Angeles' Farmer's Market. I used to make my own clothes and never figured out what the rather large print would be good for and I still have it.

I have cotton fat quarters saved from dresses I made for my daughters in kindergarten. They are now 54 and 53 years old. The fabric is still in very good shape and I am going to make a wallhanging for each of them as so as I have time????

Blog Entries
    The fabric below was donated, I had to take a photo of the price.

Old Fabric?
    Name:  Attachment-173819.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  70.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Plain Jane
    I'm new to quilting but have always done crafts and I just found a box of fabric. I've spent the afternoon playing with fire...burn testing for fiber content (learned that here!) and going through it. I found panels from 1981! Is that almost antique? Vintage? The amazing thing is that I have moved multiple times and evidently this box made it with me every time. Amazing.
    So how long have you kept fabric?
    Until I got on this board, I didn't know that fabric "goes out of style." It's a good thing, because I've got good fabric that is at least 40 years old and I intend to use it with some of my recently acquired fabric--any day now. I think the official definition of antique involves 50 or more years old, which puts me way past vintage. froggyintexas

I have some fabrics from the '30's, '50's, & '70's and probably some from many years in between. Yikes! Some of it is much older than I am.

Blog Entries
    I've got feed sacks and they are about 50 years old. Plus I keep running across 36" wide fabric in my stash. When did they quit making 36" fabric?

I have some from my grandmothers sewing things-1920's and 30's. Also have quilt tops and patches she didn't get finished--really old UFO's.

Blog Entries
    I have a large piece of silk that was given to me. I think it is from late 40's or early 50's. Been meaning to make it into a blouse, just haven't done it yet.

Blog Entries
    Be careful with silk it tends to rot, especially in folds.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast