Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what's "in" right now? >

what's "in" right now?

what's "in" right now?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Yes Nan, those candle mats are the new 'bowtucks' purse! Everyone is making them and in multiples... I haven't felt the 'pull', myself. They are fancy dustcatchers. I would love to have been the person who designed the pattern, tho!

Tapper, I think the word you were looking for was "calicoes". I love them too. They make a great vintage looking piece.

I love batiks and don't see them ever going out of style. I also love paisleys of all sorts.

I don't worry about what is popular, just buy and make what I love. There's so much to love in quilting!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:31 AM

My quilting stash (projects) are like my Pandora play list a little bit of everything. Looks like someone w/ multiple personality disorder put it together. Never know what I'll be in the mood to try. As far as in style, I don't quilt for the market so I really don't care.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I think the quilting community is going in all directions these days, and I like that. Modern quilts are gaining in popularity, but lots of people are doing English paper piecing. Art quilts have a huge presence at most quilt shows. Pre-cuts are very popular, as well as laser cut applique pieces, both geared toward saving time. When I started quilting I had no idea that there were so many types of fabric and quilts. It makes it so hard to decide what to make next.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:13 AM

I agree with Dunster. There seem to be more & more art quilts out there that use non-traditional materials. There are all sorts of crazy fabrics, fibers & notions that you can use if that's the kind of quilt you'd like to make, but the beautiful thing is that there dozens, maybe hundreds, of online fabric stores that sell all sorts of fabrics from vintage/repros, to solids, to batiks, to calicos, to blenders, to large prints, to panels, and so forth. Many of the art/wall quilts are now using things like linen or lace tablecloths, various silk fabrics, linen-wool blends, silk-cotton blends, found materials/objects, and so forth for the fabric. Or even really crazy things like Tyvek (the stuff they wrap houses with) that is shrunk with a heat gun, or angelina fibers being pressed into "fabric", or even the cocoons of silkworms being cut & used as dimensional applique like cherry blossoms.

As far as color goes, Robert Kaufman chooses a "Color of the Year" each year from the Pantone colors & creates a free on-line LookBook. It comes out each December for the following year. Here is the one for 2016 ("Highlight" yellow): http://www.robertkaufman.com/release/2016/konacoty/

2016/17 Pantone colors include classics like jet black, various shades of white, nutmeg, tan & shades of grey including grey-beige, along with olive-oil green, Nordic green (blue-green), bright yellow, pumpkin-spice orange, shades of purple in the berry family, blue-grey, deep brown with a burgundy undertone, bright red, pastels & metallics. Blending together in a single quilt elements that are understated/traditional with a pop of brighter/flashier ones is forecasted to continue over the next 18 months.

Here is the link to the 2 colors that Pantone declared to be their 2016 Colors of the Year (2-way tie -- Rose Quartz & Serenity -- a pastel pink & pastel blue-grey):
https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2016
Link to fabrics: http://lotsofabric.com/2015/12/22/pa...the-year-2016/

Last edited by Bree123; 08-09-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
I think there are things that seem to trend, especially after something like a market event. But also designers, magazines, and books coming out with their new line or issues spark trends. One woman I talked to who worked in a LQS said they were stocking a lot of Civil War because that was what their regular customers seemed to buy and they had some batiks and modern styles to attract new customers. So I think some have a plan to do a little of everything; some stock a couple of designers that are popular in there area, some the lines the owner likes; bottom line I guess is they have to stock what would sell to stay in business so it probably depends on the types of fabrics they sell the most of at the time. I have seen that in most shops I have been in the batiks are a little more than other fabrics. But I also think they are very popular. But when I go to a quilt show I see all varieties of fabrics and styles of quilts. So I agree with go with what you like for your own enjoyment. If you are making a quilt for someone else have them go with you and let you know what they like.
Yes..it seems like anything goes. I agree...that is a good thing.

Thank you for your insights.

It was such a surprise to see those large-scale florals on the LQS shelf.
They usually carry mostly batiks, blenders, juvenile prints and Stonehenge fabrics.
Our LQS must have a new manager. The place has a cleaner design and things are easily found. That was never the case before. I didn't like going there because it was so disorganized. Maybe the florals are part of the new way of doing things. Nice change!
Always great to see a local quilt shop doing good business.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I agree with Dunster. There seem to be more & more art quilts out there that use non-traditional materials. There are all sorts of crazy fabrics, fibers & notions that you can use if that's the kind of quilt you'd like to make, but the beautiful thing is that there dozens, maybe hundreds, of online fabric stores that sell all sorts of fabrics from vintage/repros, to solids, to batiks, to calicos, to blenders, to large prints, to panels, and so forth. Many of the art/wall quilts are now using things like linen or lace tablecloths, various silk fabrics, linen-wool blends, silk-cotton blends, found materials/objects, and so forth for the fabric. Or even really crazy things like Tyvek (the stuff they wrap houses with) that is shrunk with a heat gun, or angelina fibers being pressed into "fabric", or even the cocoons of silkworms being cut & used as dimensional applique like cherry blossoms.

As far as color goes, Robert Kaufman chooses a "Color of the Year" each year from the Pantone colors & creates a free on-line LookBook. It comes out each December for the following year. Here is the one for 2016 ("Highlight" yellow): http://www.robertkaufman.com/release/2016/konacoty/

2016/17 Pantone colors include classics like jet black, various shades of white, nutmeg, tan & shades of grey including grey-beige, along with olive-oil green, Nordic green (blue-green), bright yellow, pumpkin-spice orange, shades of purple in the berry family, blue-grey, deep brown with a burgundy undertone, bright red, pastels & metallics. Blending together in a single quilt elements that are understated/traditional with a pop of brighter/flashier ones is forecasted to continue over the next 18 months.

Here is the link to the 2 colors that Pantone declared to be their 2016 Colors of the Year (2-way tie -- Rose Quartz & Serenity -- a pastel pink & pastel blue-grey):
https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2016
Link to fabrics: http://lotsofabric.com/2015/12/22/pa...the-year-2016/
Bree...you and Dunster are right. There is plenty to choose from and quilters have lots of options. The main thing is that we have a creative outlet.
Thank you for the links. I check the colors every year. Some years, the colors are scrumptious and some years they are blah. Of course, it's a case of....different folks, different strokes.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Tapper, I think the word you were looking for was "calicoes". I love them too. They make a great vintage looking piece.

There's so much to love in quilting!
Thank you,sewbizgirl. I couldn't recall the name. I was quilting using those calicoes for a long time before I knew what they were called.
Totally agree with your last sentence!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Since you mentioned liking calicos, I was thinking you might enjoy Mary Fons' new line with Spring Creative "Small Wonders". She taught a workshop at our guild & I got to see a bunch of them before Quilt Market & they are just lovely. So many sweet prints that are all based on vintage designs from the Spring Creative archives.
http://springscreative.com/maryfons/
Old 08-09-2016, 06:03 PM

For solids, Moda Grunge is popular right now. I can't get enough of them! There are lots of colors.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:30 AM

Large floral are great for OBW or SAW quilts... I love modern prints, brights and monochromatic... they bring new life to traditional quilts and are great for art quilts