Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what's "in" right now? >

what's "in" right now?

what's "in" right now?

Old 08-10-2016, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingBear View Post
Large floral are great for OBW or SAW quilts... I love modern prints, brights and monochromatic... they bring new life to traditional quilts and are great for art quilts
I know what OBW means, but what does SAW mean?
Old 08-10-2016, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
I know everyone has preferences when it comes to fabric and patterns. I love the look of batik quilts but have not used them. Thebatiks are very expensive in this area. I started quilting in 1996 and loved those fabrics with small floral designs. I forget the name. I still feel a happiness when I look at quilts that I made using those fabrics. I think it's because they remind me of my childhood.
I like traditional patterns but lately I find myself drawn to the more modern, geometric patterns....lots of solid colors.

I know these things go in cycles...what goes around eventually comes around again. I seem to always be late to the party!! I was in at the LQS yesterday and couldn't believe how many fabrics were large florals. Are they making a comeback? What's trending these days in fabrics and pattern choices?

Just as a side note...my all-time favorite fabrics are paisley designs.
In reading your post, you sound just like me, I totally agree with everything you said!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Are you asking about trending? I go for the classic style and design myself. But while looking around, I see lots of quilts made with the colors of red and turquoise with simple designs in the fabrics. Fabric designer sites are a great place to go and see the fabrics that are "in style". Moda, Red Rooster, Robert Kaffman, and others are on line to go and visit to give you an idea what is in style.
Also check out the mailers from the quilt and fabric companies. That is a fair sampling too. A trip to a few quilt stores will give you some ideas.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-10-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:13 AM

What's in? What do you enjoy working with? That's what is in! Many of us have had to make a quilt with either colors we don't like or a style/pattern we just can't get into. It is not fun. It zapped your energy and you start to dread your sewing time. I believe that when you are having fun and enjoying the work, it comes thru in the quilt. Your joy, your satisfaction, your energy somehow translates. So, whatever brings you joy and makes you want to get into your sewing room, that's what is in!
Old 08-10-2016, 07:24 AM

I don't care what is popular. I just make what I like!!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I bought fabrics years ago, more than I could ever use in this lie. I am trying to use those fabrics. I match what I like. Most of my quilts are given away, except for the ones I keep.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 AM

I was just thinking about this last night. I was looking at a few quilt magazines and was amazed to see a few of the new fabric patterns look just like some of the old fabrics in my stash. I think it is cyclical, just like clothing/shoes etc.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 PM

I share your experience with batiks. However I really want to make a dear friend a batik quilt. I am so excited! I just found a sale at fabricbuffet.com. I've picked out my fabrics but I know the internet is tricky. So as soon as I find my phone I am going to call them and ask if the fabrics I've chosen go together. There's nothing worse than working on and completing a quilt and then it turns our ugly because of the fabric put together. See if that sale "floats your boat". It sure did mine and got me rowing out of that famous creek!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:00 PM

Solids seem very popular now, especially with people creating "modern" quilts.

I am in the "buy what makes you smile" group. My stash includes ALL sorts of fabrics, from all different years. I bet I even have some calico in there. Some fabrics I can't stand to look at now, but I know they will eventually come back in style and make me smile again. (Remember bell bottoms? Now they call them boot cuts. Everything cycles back eventually).
Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Regardless of what's "IN" today, I think anything and everything is "IN" as long as you like it. I admit that my tastes in fabrics and colors can change occasionally, although my all time favorites are still batiks, but if I see something that calls to me and jumps into my basket, that's what I like. Do whatever makes you happy and fabric always makes me happy.