Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's sad about being a quilter...

Blog Entries
    Not enough time. I want to live forever, Just enough time to finish my UFOs :D

Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
    Nope...not necessarily true...I have a dear friend and fellow board member here(Riversong) that has gifted me 2 quilted wall hangings...so I feel especially blessed and lucky to have such a friend...she has also done special orders for me...don't know what I'd do without her...Naomi

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

join in the doll swap and at least you'll get a small quilt made just for you by a quilter.

you could also join in a block swap and then you'll have enough blocks to make a top and all you have to do is quilt it.

I'm working on one now for my best quilting friend. She loves Asian prints, but refuses to cut any of hers ....... so I'm cutting mine and making her a quilt for no reason at all! She will be thrilled. :)

Well, it depends on if your friends/family are also quilters... I've got two bed quilts that have been given to me, one from my mom, and the other from DH's grandma. I've also got a really nice table topper that my MIL made me.

But yes, in general, that's true. My mom and my sister and I made a lap quilt for my grandma, and she was very touched. She said it was the only quilt anyone had ever made for her (and she made quilts for all the grandkids, and several other people over the years)

Blog Entries
    I have 2 one my sis made an 1 my daughter gave me. got 2 or 3 I have made myself. I feel very lucky!!

I have afgans from my grandma's and 1 of my aunt's, I will never get rid of them. 1 of them is my baby blanket I got when I was born which was 24 years ago, it has seen better days. The other 1 is big enough for a queen bed and the other is a couch size.

I have not made quilts for family members before because it costs me alot of money to make them and also my mom despises quilts and told me never to give her one cause it would go to the trash. I may make my dad a quilt some day as my parents are divorced.

I do make quilts for charity. I also make most quilts for my home, which is not many yet.

When we plan to get married I wish someone would make us a wedding ring quilt, I love them so much. I find that they look hard to make though but if it comes down to it I will make our own for us 1 day.

Not true. I have a quilt my aunt made me. I still love it!!!!

I get the joy of giving more than keeping. I do not think there is anyone in my family or group of friends that would invest the time to do a quilt or anything that they would give to anyone, let alone me.

My DD now has the baby quilt my grandmother made for me almost 69 years ago. It won 1st at the Will County Fair this year. lol I think that's hilarious.

I'm very blessed. My sister who got me into quilting made me a quilt a few years back but before that she was one of the first recipients of my quilting efforts.

Blog Entries
    I don't have a quilt of my own, or one given to me. Funny, never thought of that before. :)

I've done doll quilt swaps, and I love them, so if you do count that - then I've got about a dozen made just for me.

But, as a lap quilt or larger, nope.

Blog Entries
    Noone has a glue how much it cost to make them a quilt....and of course we do not make enough for ourselves

I made a scrappy about eight yrs ago and right after I finished it and had it displayed on a chair: My lil dog, Addie got it in her head to chew a whole in it: Right, smack, dade, in the middle - OHHHH I was sick I tell you::: Needless to say I tried to "Patch" what I could and have had it on my bed ever since: Seems like my favorite thing: LOL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    NOT true...my BFF and I did a quilt for each other...just so we could say we had a quilt made from someone else..hehehe

of course we used the same embroidered blocks, but our settings are different!
    and she is hand quilting mine for me!

I am very blessed. I have many quilts My Mother made for me. 2 stand out, they are on the twin beds in our guest room. 1 is embroidried baskets, it was the first one. When we decided on twin beds, I said to my Mother,"wouldn't it be pretty to have a different quilt made with the same fabrics?". She said yes and I even have one in mind. When she brought it, I was speechless. It was the same fabrics as the 1st one, but it was ladies embroidried and my husbands Mother's hankies for their skirts. They are really beautiful and they were made with fabric from Walmart. They are treasures. There are more.....as I said I am blessed...in many ways.....mostly because she is 81yrs young and still with me. My time will come, but I will have so much of my Mother with me. Really, it isn't the things we have.....it is the people around us. Don't miss the blessings and miracles around us everyday. Be blessed.

Blog Entries
    Phe! Rehab is for quitters not quilters![/quote]

Love your attitude. Keep it up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
    I've made one for a quilter friend but have never had anyone make one for me. Just as well I've made several for myself.

A Yorkshire Brit living in Southern Sweden
    I thought that was the main pleasure of the swaps?
    It's certainly what I hope to gain from it - particularly the Boomerang Swaps so that there is a unifying fabric throughout the finished quilt ...
    I'm hoping to be inspired by the different blocks that people choose to show-off the focus fabric. And of course the buzz of somebody making something just for me!
    Helen

Blog Entries
    [Really, it isn't the things we have.....it is the people around us. Don't miss the blessings and miracles around us everyday. Be blessed.[/quote]

Isn't that the truth. I lost my Mother 13 yrs ago and my Grandmother last year. Unfortunately, neither of them quilted. But, I do have a couple of knit sweaters my Mom made and some crocheted dollies my grandmother made, along with several pieces of Delft Blue from both of them.
    I have made both my kids and 3 grandkids quilts, and will keep doing so. I want them to have alittle piece of heritage with them years from now.

Blog Entries
    I went to a friends wake a whle back and her Mom made dollies for her own wake. it was so awesome. They had a basket by the questbook with a note on it from her Mom...and a gift to all one of her dollies. Wow...talk about feeling connected...

My cousin made me a quilt last year. I was so thrilled and I love it. Here is a pic of it.

The blue in the pic is actually purple.
    Name:  Attachment-266926.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  64.1 KB

My mother made quilts (even with severe arthritis) and gave them to my siblings - even SIL but I never was given one. She said, "You can make one for yourself." She did that with other areas as well. I was always suppose to do it myself or buy it...

I still "lust" for their quilts even though I am very happy they have my mother's gift. They are beautiful quilts and they are cherished - so that is all that really matters.

My mom has made quilts for the entire family. Some of us are quilters as well. My sister - a quilter - has made many quilted items for family - again the quilters in the family as well as the non-quilters. So - I guess I'm lucky.

I am fortunate. The daughter that started me quilting made a family signature quilt for me several years ago. She sent a blank white square and a pigma pen to all family members and asked them to write something for me and send them back to her to get the quilt finished. I can tell you, it brought a big burst of tears when I opened it that Christmas and started to read all the messages. It is my "treasure".

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast