Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What's sad about being a quilter...

Blog Entries
    REHAB, YES!! I just returned from 4 days of rehab........a quilt retreat with 5 dear friends....for 4 days. We do this twice each year and it is the best rehab in the world. Two of them drive about 400 miles (one way) to get there.
    I think this is the best rehab possible!!!

Last week for 5 days we went to a quilt retreat - does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
    ohh so true!!!!

My Mother is the only one who made me quilts. She passed away in January and I am so blessed to have several of her quilts that she hand pieced and hand quilted just for me.

I was very lucky to have 2 wonderful grandmothers. They both did so much for others, family and strangers alike. One made a quilt for every person in the family (35+people as a rough estimate) When I finished my first quilt at the young age of 22...after I rolled around in it for a few minutes...I gave it to my grandmother. She cried and expressed this very sentiment. No one had ever given her a quilt before. So yes, it is sad. BUT we are different than most crafters/artists. I don't know of any other medium that people spend so much time and creativity to make and then give it away. We are special people. I like that about us.

This is true but some times we are lucky enough to inherit them, especially when they know your love for quilting, and they know their gift will be taken care of and appreciated.

I have been given 2 hand made quilts, first one from my MOM and the other from a long time friend, she doesn't quilt any more so I need to give her a special quilt that I've
    made. love both, have the one MOM made me in my quilt display box ,the other I use on the guest twin bed.
    love and treasure both. Mom is gone now so her's is the last I'll get. She taught me to sew and quilt. God Bless

I guess they figure it's a little like carrying coals to Newcastle.

I have thought the same thing. I am game to enter and lets swap. Set a price, and lets not make a difficult pattern one we can do in a couple of weeks.

I haven't gotten any quilts, but after I made my nephew a quilt ( i had made one for his other 3 siblings) my sister knitted me an afhgan and sent a very sweet note to say that after making quilts for the 23 nieces and nephews she wanted me to have something handmade as well.

I've gotten small items ... totes, a tablerunner and a cute wall quilt. But not a quilt to be used ... and thinking about it, I've made mostly smaller gifts for quilt buddies myself ... Time is the factor !
    I'm lucky to have several quilts my grandmothers made, and my aunt gave me an antique quilt and a top she'd been given :)

My mother made one for me and every member of my family. That got me started on making quilts.

BUT---I inherited quilts from my grandmothers, my mother and aunt. Nothing could be more special to me.

My prize quilt is one my group made for me.
    We each made a center block and brought all the fabric needed for a quilt then passed it to the next person who did a row.
    Each person in the group worked on the quilt.
    We did not see our quilt till it was done.
    It was fun and a real keepsake.
    It us sad that none of my family quilts.

Actually, I have been given 4-one was given to me by my mother for our wedding, she gave me a second one that was a beautiful hand made crazy quilt and my grandmother has given me 2, one that she made when she was 14 years old. And I have a 7 yr old granddaughter that made a quilt square in school and she gave it to me to use in my quilting-though it now hangs in my sewing room as a picture.

Newbie here. Brand spanking new to this entire additive craft and my only regrets is I didnt start earlier. Yes we are unique in our thoughts and pursuits, personally I wouldnt have it any other way. Ive received numerous afghans but no quilts. Oh, my first blankie WAS a quilt from my little Grammy, a little loveworn now. With that, I am giving my first quilt to me me me and I do just love it. Im on vacation and going to my first HL todayyyyyy so good things come, either way. :)

so true. the closed i came was a round robin quilt.

I'm a better giver than taker. But yeah that is true.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Been given one ! from my grands its a small one but I keep it none the less, it was made with love, and tenacity!!!

Hmmm Rehab: when the house is clean, the DH is gone hunting for a week and one can do whatever one wants to do without having to pickup after the DH. Quilting in the jammies with a cuppa coffee, sleeping in, Hmmm.. what else can I do ? LOL Ohh the possibilities !LOL

I have the Broken Lone star quilt top that my GGM, GM amd my dear mom all worked on. I had always wanted to make one like it, so...the first quilt I ever made was a Lone Star. Talk about jumping in with both feet!! I had sewn all my life, so the end result wasn't to bad, but let's not talk about those 1/4 seams. LOL

I would rather give than take, but when you think about it....it's so true. I quilt, knit, crochet, etc...and give to all in my family, what I get back is..."What are you making next?".... ha..ha..

Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
    that is why the very first pieced quilt I made is on MY bed. smile. so far everything elseis for family and friends. :lol:

Gosh you are so right!!!! Never has that happened and I also make cakes and no one ever makes me a cake!! For my 50th Birthday party.....I thought......yeah maybe someone will make me a pretty cake as this is my first birthday party......WRONG!!!! LOL Some one was suppose to but she paniced and bought it from Price Chopper!!!! Crap!!! lol lol

What's sad for me is not enough time in any given day to sew, sew, sew only because I still work outside of our home. But I have to share that I in fact have a number of handmade quilts: my father's handsewn Queen size patchwork, 2 quilts made for me by my guild during the years I served as their president, and 3 I received during a scrap bag exchange program we did in the guild for 3 consecutive years in a row. I have any amazing guild, very generous and I feel blessed to know them all.

I was fortunate enough to have been given some quilts by my grandmother, who made them, but I don't find it sad that nobody else has given me quilts. Many people have stepped up to help me when I needed it, and for that I'm very grateful. Each person has his or her own way of giving, and it doesn't always include quilts. Maybe your quilting friends think that since you make quilts, you surely wouldn't want or need theirs. Don't be sad. :)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast