Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What's sad about being a quilter...

My husband's grandmother gave him some utility quilts (bedspreads) which later on I tried to copy to make our own. Sad, but true, we quilters seldom get quilt for a present. We have to make our own.

I Think I'd much rather make my own quilt than have someone else give me one. That way I'd have one exactly the way I wanted it. But that's just me...

I won one in a raffle once!

my husband and i were given two quilts by an old couple. wew helped them out by taking them to the doctor and the store and not long before they passed he gave us one he had quilted. he was a carpenter and he used his carpenter skills to make it, it had houses and flags. he said he believed in home, family and country is why he chose that pattern. she gave me a beautiful fan quilt. they have passed now and we miss them very much.

I make them for myself as well as others

Power Poster
    My best friend said the same thing and unfortunately past away before I could do anything about it.

The only quilt ever given me was one of those made in China things which, when I opened the qift I thought she knows I quilt why would she give me this. I donated it to a cancer clinic. Just kept the quilted tote it came in. Still I haven't made one for myself yet either. Just family & friends. My problem here of late they all seem to have to be queen size which isn't easy to quilt on a home sewing machine. But I will persevere.

Am convinced this craft is totally addictive... has anyone gone into rehab?[/quote]

Don't wanna.
    Robin in TX

Yes it is Rehab! the best kind. I have so much fun on these weekends and wish I could do more of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
    So many fabrics .... so little time.
    Am convinced this craft is totally addictive... has anyone gone into rehab?
    Phe! Rehab is for quitters not quilters!
    haha
    Isn't Rehab those retreats we go on, on the weekend in another city so we can visit all those quilt shops.....talk to all those new quilter friends....and come home with a ton of new ideas.....Isn't that Rehab ?????

Blog Entries
    I've posted a proposed quilt swap:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158628-1.htm

Sister I know how U feel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
    So true.

I am a lucky quilter as a quilting buddy made me a darling wallhanging which I really cherish. I have a couple of family quilts too so I count them as gifts. But you are right, we don't do for ourselves very often. I have changed that by making a few strickly for me!

I started one for myself 27 years ago...I was pregnant with my second child, my son. It was a sampler...never finished it. It's almost finished. I plan to finish it and give it to my son and his wife one of these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have to say I'm very blessed. My Granny who made quilt tops on her singer treadle and hand appliqued quilts for 70 years, make me 3 or 4 and I bought several from her. I was the first to ever make her a quilt. I tought my Moma to make quilts and she has made me 3 or 4 quilts, I love and cherish all of them. My sewing buddy has made me 2 or 3 also. Of course I made both my Moma and sewing buddy 3 or 4 quilts each also. I now have Grannys treadle machine, so I'm truly blessed, as she got me hooked on quilting by letting me quilt her pot holders on that very same treadle.

Quote Originally Posted by marketwoman51
    I started one for myself 27 years ago...I was pregnant with my second child, my son. It was a sampler...never finished it. It's almost finished. I plan to finish it and give it to my son and his wife one of these days.
    Beautiful quilt! You did a great job. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I think you should keep it...I love it!!!!

It's sad for me to keep it...I divorced my husband after 32 years so the big "E" monogram is no longer mine. :( The woes of menopause possessed my mind and body. Guess that's another thread :)

Last Christmas I asked my newest DIL to make me a Bow Tucks purse. I gave her the pattern, fabric and told her how I wanted it. I told her this is what I want, I don't have time to make one and I don't need anything else. She made it and filled it with goodies- fat quarters, marking pencils, etc. Love it! I carry it to work every day with my "stuff" in it. (I have 2 purses too- one with the necessary garbage, 1 small one for "looks" that holds my wallet and keys- I am a bag lady)

I should take a pic of it...

(oh, she also used the pattern to make her Mom, Gram, Aunt and herself bags. Love her!)

This year she's making throws- I told her to shop in my stash first!

Yes do take a photo. I'm interested to see what it looks like. Would be a nice gift idea for my daughter and daughter in law.

My bee made one for me when my mother died. It hangs behind my sewing room so she is always watching over my shoulder.

hahahaha I like that! Quilting addict here, and lovin every stitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN
    I've made lots for others, some are on their second quilt now. The requests keep coming in and I still don't have one.
    Due to the cost of fabric here in Australia I make only one quilt per person. The baby quilts are made so they will still be used even when the child is grown. I made my mum one and gave it to her when she was in hospital as she feels the cold no matter if it is summer or not. I was told today that another Great niece or nephew is due in March so I have to look around for some thing suitable once we know the sex which won't be for a while yet.I have made afghan blankets for my aunt and now she wants me to make her another one so I will give the one on the spare bed after I have washed it. I do not have time or inclination to make any more. I am into quilting and she has already have one from me.

I've been very lucky and have received quite a few beautiful quilts from my fellow quilters. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    For those interested:
    Updated post regarding a "quilt for quilters" swap

new location:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-159331-1.htm

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast