Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What's sad about being a quilter...

Quilting is so rewarding but I have often thought how wonderful it would be to be given a hand quilted, quilt. I think they are so special but know also that so very much time goes into them that it would mae them more costly. I wish I could hand stitch one but just can't.

Blog Entries
    I have one that was given to me on my 25th wedding anniversary by a niece that was watching a quilting show and said "I could do this". She had never quilted before. I love it

I'm very fortunate. My mother still does all of her quilts by hand and has made me several. Mom's best friend gave me a couple and my friend that got me into machine quilting made me 2 wall hangings. I also make quilts for myself. I'm hoping my BFF that I just turned to he dark side will make me one too. I've made her a lot so will see if I can talk her into it.

Blog Entries
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I love this one! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
    So many fabrics .... so little time.
    Am convinced this craft is totally addictive... has anyone gone into rehab?
    Phe! Rehab is for quitters not quilters!

I had a quilt made for me from one of my one line quilt groups when I was ill, pluss the ladys for the Quilt Shop I have been going to for years made me one too everyone that worked there made a block and signed the. Also when we found out my hubby had Cancer he recived 2 quilts from differnt groups that I am on. No only in my family was ever a quilter so I am the firt one to quilt. Hubby and I still use out quilts I cover up with them every night

LOL!! Sometimes I think I need to. Hey....wonder if they wean you off slowly so I'd have the time to make something for myself. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Darn it, I never thought of it that way. Its amazing how we go thru life with blinders on. hehehe :lol:

Blog Entries
    I'd participate in a quilt swap for those of us who never receive quilts from others.

mm... what shall I make....?

as a child, i slept under quilts that my paternal grandmother made-thick wool batts, feed sacking fabric--beautiful. they had me hooked from the time i was about 5. my maternal family gave me quilts: sunbonnet sue/overall sam. my stepgrandfather's mother was a quilter--and i have one she hand pieced and hand quilted, with the tiniest little hens scattered on royal blue background, with white as the other half of each little half-triangle square in this lovely quilt. she was pennsylvania dutch, and the skill still amazes me. my mom's mom repurposed a quilt, and requilted it with a new "skin". it's still mine.

so far, as an adult, i have been given a quilt from a dear friend--hand painted gnome squares, a tribute to my never ending quest to die a kid at heart.

i am a lucky girl. and a blessed woman.

Blog Entries
    My quilting buddy did make me a lapquilt/wallhanging. I loved it. I know what you mean. Not many friends or famiy make stuff so I don't get much either. Or they figure I would make it myself so they don't. Booo Hooooo Whoe is US!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thinking... has anyone ever given me a quilt. No, I have yet to receive one. I keep making them, and giving them away. That's ok though. I enjoy what I do.

I wanted to bring my sewing machine to quilter's rehab, so they wouldn't let me in. :)

Blog Entries
    *You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt.*(quote)
    NO, not true. I have received quilts from other quilters. My first one was in a friendship group, and a friend gave me a beautiful Apple quilt in the birthday exchange. The second was a prayer quilt made by a church when I had eye surgery, and at our last meeting, for no reason at all Corey gave me a beautiful quilt she had made as a gift of Spirit from a loving person. Corey does beautiful LA quilting and has made many wonderful quilts. She is a member on QB and of our guild. I am blessed to have such generous friends. :)

I have one quilt that was given to me but it was not made especially for me it was one my mother made for my dad and when he died she gave it to me, I really do cherish it. I have made quilts for all my family and also have some in a craft shop.

I have been given other things like a handbag that I just love and little things that I cherish. I dont' care if I dont' get a quilt ....I make lots of them hahahahah

I said that to one of my dearest friends and then I made her one for a special b'day. She reciprocated with one for my next special b'day.

I have one of the last quilts my mother and sister worked together on for me. I treasure it, my sister passed in 2005 and my mother in 2007.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
    I have a real beautiful quilt, that I received from another quilt board member in a swap. I recommend them highly. I have enjoyed the time involved, and getting to know my swap partners. I am currently making a table runner, and my partner is making me one. She asked for blue, I asked for burgundy. Design or pattern is up to us, as was the decision, as to the project. When we are both done, we will send them to each other. I love knowing that they are made 'just for me' and 'just because'. Who doesn't like gifts?

Here is a link to get you all started. If there is not one right now, consider starting one, or just keep checking back. :thumbup:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-11-1.htm

I made a silk quilt for my college friend after we went on a trip to Asia a couple of years ago. She was sooooooooo excited because, you are soooooooo right, no one ever made a quilt for her before! She actually kept petting my arm all day she was so excited! It made me feel so very pleased because she knew all of the love and effort that went into it. I feel great just thinking about it.

Blog Entries
    You can do the doll quilt swap. I just love getting the small quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by dltaylor
    Someone should start a swap!! Everyone make a quilt top (set a standard price)and then swap the quilt tops!! Might be fun!

Oh no, now I have to add the "other perspective"! A person who knows me well, and knows I am an avid perfectionist quilter decided to make me a Christmas quilt.

She has never quilted, but decided she could do this, because, "How hard can it be?" She chose fabrics that did not look good together, tied it sloppily, and the binding was a disaster. It is so tiny it doesn't even qualify as a crib quilt.

I know this gift was from the heart, but in the interest of being honest, I don't really enjoy having something so shoddy.

I know I am probably going to get a ton of replies telling me I am a snob. But haven't many of you received a gift you did not like, but were obligated to put it on display anyway?

Anyway - just the other perspective...

A couple years ago my position was eliminated from my work place. I was just devastated! Much to my surprise the RN's I worked with gave me a going away surprise (many of us were quilters and shared our WIPS all the time). My last day of work they presented me with a cheerful lap warmer QUILT that they all made together. I was reduced to tears and I cuddle up with it EVERY NIGHT when I watch TV and think of them. I cherish it!

Pieceful Quilter
    I was given a Christmas quilt once that was rather jaw dropping. Horrible colors and it was poorly constructed. I KNEW my friend meant well (and it was a gift from the heart). So that is now my car quilt. I kept one of my own quilts in the car in case of an emergency, and I swapped them out. That quilt goes everywhere I go, and it's a cozy little thang. I've used it for various things multiple times while traveling.

I have NO DOUBT it will be the MOST BEAUTIFUL QUILT in the world if I'm ever stuck in a snow bank, or broken down on a cold rainy night.

BUT...what's REALLY SAD about being a quilter to me? I sit all day at a desk (at work)... working away.. I come home...and SIT at my beloved hobby... and then.. my local partner in crime and I drive to shop hops...and quilting classes....sitting sitting sitting. My buns are spreading MORE AND MORE every year. That's what SAD about being a quilter...lol

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    If I went into rehab, I'd have to take my current quilt project w/me ;) :-P

What an adorable dog!

mmdquilts, what an adorable dog!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast