Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's in your batik stash? >

What's in your batik stash?

What's in your batik stash?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 AM

I've got a bit of everything. Some were purchased specifically for a project (and because I usually buy more than I need - I've still got stash), others are colors/patterns that caught my eye. I've probably got an even number of "prints" and solids. Some of my "prints" though read as a solid from the galloping horse.

While I do have some batiks that have various color families on the same fabric, I tend to gravitate toward batiks that showcase 1 or 2 colors only. Part of the reason is that the batiks with multiple colors are usually in large splashes (5" or more) and I never cut pieces that large. So it makes it difficult to "plan" the colors without fussy cutting and wasting fabric. The few that I have I've only got small yardage.

Batiks are my favorite fabrics and easily make up more than 50% of my stash. Gosh ... I bought about 30 different batiks alone (and only 3 prints) at Hancoks of Paducah when I was there. Yeah ... came home with a lot of fabric from there!!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 PM

I saw my first Batiks about 10 years ago at JoAnns on the clerance rack for 1 or 2.00 a yard!!! They must have been the newest thing that wasn't selling...VBG...and I bought all they had, then went to the next JoAnns down the road and bought more!! Batiks are my downfall and to this day, I just can't resist them

In case you don't know, turn your Batiks inside out and you might find even more beautiful fabric....that is the biggest reason I fell in love with them on the clearence racks....sometimes it really is like 2 diferent fabrics and sometimes it is just a ''softer'' shade of the front.

I love the newest Batiks at my LQS but at about 14.00 a yard, it is hard to justify buying them.....but I do....just not yard after yard!

jodi
Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

I love batiks! Usually don't have a project in mind, just buying a piece before it sells out! I lean towards clear, pure colors. Don't like muddy ones much.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
I love batiks of every kind. My number 1 favorite farbics to work with. Issue is I dont have a stash of any sorts to chose from. Income doesnt warrent the staring of a batik stash.
Stewy,
I know what you mean! I love the quilt in your avatar by the way! That is awesome....is it yours or did you quilt it for someone else?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 PM

I'd say planned, but I always wind up with way more than what was in the original plan so that probably means at least half are spur of the moment. :roll: I go on 'batik binges' at the local shops several times a year. Each shop seems to 'specialize' in their own preferred color families.

I never really have a particular project in mind and almost all are monochromatic small prints (same as my taste in regular cottons). Kaufman's Retro Metro was designed just for me!! :lol:
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM

I have a really big stash of batiks. Most of what I buy on inpulse tends toward the dark with great colors , when I go to do a project I always find I am needing medium/light and lights. The 1895 type or water colors are great because there is just so many colors you are bound to find some that will go with what ever you are working on ... but over the years I am pulling back from that type as they lack interest and too many together can get ... dull in certain projects. Don't get me wrong like I said they are a great go to choice for every shade imaginable. And no surprise colors when the yardage arrives.
I have had to make a deliberate frame of mind to buy the medium and lights just as much on "speculation" as the darks that are like magnets and are for me the spark or starting fabric that all other fabrics are picked to coodinate with.
Hardest part of buying some batiks on line is the color swatch may not show all the colors in the batik, I have had more than a few surprises when the fabric shows up. The Princess Mirah line is one that is often tough to buy on line as some of the colors maybe 15 inches apart from each other. This is also tough to work into some projects.
When I am shopping for batiks on line for a specific project , I look at color groupings , as sometimes seeing one swatch next to the other helps define each ones color(s) and value . ..this is really important for the 1895 type. I call the water color 1895 blender batiks.
In the "print" or patterned I look for good color(s) dispersement , not so far a part so that when cut up they look as though they are from two different pieces of cloth. I like ones that seem to work in one quantrant of the color wheel or those that work in the spectrum of a specific color.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Too much is in my batik stash !! I have a bit of everything.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 PM

My batik stash consists of a 10" square collection from Keepsake Quilting I bought 3 yrs ago. I pulled out the ones I can use in landscape quilts and the rest are...just there. I've seen some some beautiful batik qilts, I love some of the colors/patterns that I see in photos but when I look at them on the bolt in the store, well I just don't get it. They're cheap looking, feel awful and are expensive. I tell myself even the ugliest fabric is pretty if you cut it small enough and I still can't make myself buy even one batik fat quarter.

One day...when they go out of style and start disappearing from the shops...I'll wake up with a burning desire for batiks! I just know it!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 PM

NONE. I don't like batik.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by texpat45
My batik stash consists of a 10" square collection from Keepsake Quilting I bought 3 yrs ago. I pulled out the ones I can use in landscape quilts and the rest are...just there. I've seen some some beautiful batik qilts, I love some of the colors/patterns that I see in photos but when I look at them on the bolt in the store, well I just don't get it. They're cheap looking, feel awful and are expensive. I tell myself even the ugliest fabric is pretty if you cut it small enough and I still can't make myself buy even one batik fat quarter.

One day...when they go out of style and start disappearing from the shops...I'll wake up with a burning desire for batiks! I just know it!
Ditto. I don't like the feel of them either, and I don't want to pay the price of the "cheap" batik for $15 a yard!! And my not-so LQS will only cut half yard as the smallest piece. I'm not paying that price.