Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your fabric "personality"? >

What's your fabric "personality"?

What's your fabric "personality"?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

My stash has a mix of things. Lots of florals, love batiks, and brights, polka dots, stripes, novelties, jewel tones, and woodsy/fishing types for hubby. Don't care for civil war types, or muted/drab ones. I need more solids~
I don't wear red,orange,tan or drab green around my face. I enjoy wearing jeans and a bit of color!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:21 AM

My love is fall colors. I do use other colors but fall is my favorite.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I have multiple fabric personalities, depending upon my mood.

It's odd how we can see two very similar fabrics, yet one will trigger positive emotion and the other, negative . . . with no apparent reason. It's as if the fabrics are the ones with personalities.
Wow, I think that is one of those 'some times the most obvious is the most subtle' statements. Of course we like and dislike stuff, but why sometimes we get this emotional reaction is a deep subject.

I am sure fuscia does not have a personality, but I sure have given it one - I HATE fuscia. What did fuscia ever do to me????? I don't know.

PS love your Dawkins quote!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I love fabric in general. Guess it depends on my mood and what I am going to make with it.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 AM

My eye always goes to modern prints and solids - bright pastels, mostly oranges, corals, blue greens & greens. I have plenty of neutral - use white and beige a lot. For some reason, I am rarely drawn to blues and purples, and never to baby pastels. Generally, I like to make big lap quilts - but will do modern baby quilts when the need arises. I force myself to branch out so that my color palette has some of everything.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:02 AM

deep jewel colors, fall colors, batiks, solids, and hand dyed,. Do not like plaids, strips, checks, polka dots, and red is very hard for me to use, unless it is in just red and white quilt. And I love fuchsia, purple, deep blues, teals,. I have been buying and dyeing some reds, fuchsia, lime green yellow and oranges for a quilt i want to do, really stepping out of my comfort zone on this one. I make all sizes quilts minis wall, and bed quilts, depends on my mood and what I want it for.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 AM

My taste change all the time and I really love all fabric and that is probably one of the various reasons I stick to scrappy ! If I were starting over I would buy earth tones, civil war prints , batiks and I love the new shirtings fabrics I have seen on some web sites. Not a big pastel lover, but I do love to look at quilts others have made with 30's fabrics.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I tend to buy blenders - fabrics with small prints that "read-as-solids" - and have huge numbers of them across all value ranges in my stash. From these, when purchasing mid-1800s repros, or 'modern' big prints, I can pull all the complimenting fabrics I need to make a quilt.

I also have reproductions, stripes, solids, geometrics, florals, and some theme fabrics in the stash, which is fairly equal in amounts in all colors.

Jan in VA
Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 AM

I gravitate to to brights
Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 AM

I find that for the past 12 months or so, I have been drawn to the 1800s reproduction fabrics. I have been purchasing some more modern fabrics too, but I would say they are more subdued than some I have seen out there. I find a smaller print easier to fit into my projects. I also love black with primary/bright colors in a quilt too. All in all, I would say I am more traditional as opposed to modern in my fabric purchase. But then again, if the fabric "speaks to me", then I would probably buy a piece of it just because.