Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whats your favorite batting? wool, cotton, poly?? any special brand (s) ???? >

Whats your favorite batting? wool, cotton, poly?? any special brand (s) ????

Whats your favorite batting? wool, cotton, poly?? any special brand (s) ????

Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 AM

[/quote]The thing is I dont like the polyester after a few years of frequent washings. My mothers quilts that I use all the time and I mean all the time have started to pull apart on the inside and bunch up and they looked great at one time but now very disappointing. They wont last more than 20 years at the rate they are going. These quilts were hand quilted by an amish group in Lancaster PA that my mother belonged to and the handquilting has lasted but the batting hasnt. Also the backing is getting very thin. I am going to Lancaster next week and plan to take one to be fixed by them, I have replaced a small part of the top but will ask them to finish quilting it so that it looks like originally did. Hopefully this will make it last much much longer. I was hoping there was a more lofty batting out there to replace it as I was very disappointed with warm and natural. But I guess all cotton batting is thin?[quote]

Maybe this is a dumb idea.....could you put in a double layer of cotton batting to give you additional loft? Perhaps someone else in the group here can offer an opinion.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 AM

Sorry everybody, I got my cutting and pasting mixed up. I was trying to quote Jane, and ended up with my own question in the quote box! That 's what I get for hurrying I guess.
Does anyone have an opinion about a double layer of cotton batting for additional loft?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:11 AM

Don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd use a spray adhesive between the two layers for stability.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jdavis
Sorry everybody, I got my cutting and pasting mixed up. I was trying to quote Jane, and ended up with my own question in the quote box! That 's what I get for hurrying I guess.
Does anyone have an opinion about a double layer of cotton batting for additional loft?
Not if you're hand quilting. Most hand quilters want a fairly thin or at most medium weight cotton batt.

Doubling up would be fine for machine quilting. I'd test sew a sample first, though, to make sure the thickness works. A polyester batt of similar thickness would probably compress more under the presser foot of the machine, so that might make a difference in ease of machine quilting. My biggest concern would probably be the added weight. Some people like lots of weight in a quilt, but I prefer mine light and easy to drag around.... :)
Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by jdavis
It depends on how much loft you're looking for. Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 has just a slight amount of loft to it and gives the quilting some nice definition.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 AM

I use washable felt, usually white, 72" wide.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM

I usually use Warm/Natural for all quilts (I buy it by the case). Sometimes when I use a lot of dark fabrics I use Quilters Dream in black