Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whats your favorite batting? wool, cotton, poly?? any special brand (s) ???? >

Whats your favorite batting? wool, cotton, poly?? any special brand (s) ????

Whats your favorite batting? wool, cotton, poly?? any special brand (s) ????

Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM

I love the Bamboo batting from JoAnns. Everytime I get the chance to go there and I have a coupon, I use it on the bamboo batting. I read somewhere that you SHOULD use polyester in baby quilts as it is flame-retardant. I wasn't sure but checked the label on a bag of poly and it did say that. I have to admit I've never used cotton although I have some in my closet, once I got the bamboo I didn't care to use anything else.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:59 PM

I use Warm and Natural and Warm and White for all my quilts. I love it. I buy it by the bolt when Jo Ann's has it on sale. I have split a bolt with a friend before, but if you make lots of quilts, you will easily use the whole bolt. I save all my pieces that I cut off and stitch them together to make batting for table runners and wall hangings. No waste. There is a stitch on my Bernina that is perfect for seaming it together.

I buy the queen size bolt and it is 20 yards long. If I make a smaller quilt, I save the scraps and use them for other projects.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
I use Warm and Natural for everything.
Do you have to wash it before using it?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 PM

Warm and Natural for me too, though I have tried others when no-longer quilters have donated their batting to me.

Can you imagine being "no-longer a quilter"? I may slow down, but I won't stop unless I get Alzheimer's or other dementia but then I may just make the same thing over and over and over!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 PM

I have to say my favorite is Warm & Natural. On the West Coast we don't get such cold weather and this is a really nice weight. We buy it by the bolt at JoAnn's or Hancock when it's on sale. I just bought some Hobb's washable wool batting and will be using it soon for the first time. I'll let you know what I think.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 PM

to littlehud---- if you are asking if you have to wash the warm and natural before using it my answer is no i have just used it right off the bolt, one time i had some that was wrinkled and i lightly ironed it
Old 07-31-2009, 04:10 AM

I live in central Florida which only has two weeks of winter sometime in January or February. I used a thick batting at first cause I liked the puffy look but they were way too warm. i switch to warm and natural and they're perfect. If it gets too cold, i can always use two.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 AM

My personal choice is Quilters Dream - I use poly for the drag around toddler quilts and charity quilts. Dream Cotton for most everything, Dream Angel for my personal bed quilts and baby quilts. The reason I choose the Dream cotton over the Hobbs is that the Hobbs 80/20 is a mix containing 20% poly. Poly melts in fire conditions. I probably shouldn't even be using the poly in those drag around quilts for that very reason. Glad I wrote this down. I see more clearly now my mistake. Fire is a real issue for me since my sister-in-law had a house fire.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by mar32428
I live in central Florida which only has two weeks of winter sometime in January or February. I used a thick batting at first cause I liked the puffy look but they were way too warm. i switch to warm and natural and they're perfect. If it gets too cold, i can always use two.
My experience, exactly! Even in winter here we rarely get below 40 deg, and heavy quilts are just that....very heavy.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:56 AM

I forgot to mention, my favorite summer quilt has flannel in it for batting. It's best to use 90 wide to eliminate seams. If you want your quilt to look like an antique then don't pre wash the flannel. After the quilt is done, just wash and dry it 3 times and it is done shrinking. Instant antique LOL. If you don't want the antique look. Wash and dry the flannel before quilting. Do this at least 3 times and be sure to use the dryer so it gets all the shrinking out of it's system. If you don't want the wadded wrinkled mess when washing and drying then use the fan fold technique on the fabric before washing. Be sure to clip all 4 corners on an angle to prevent heavy raveling.