Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's your weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Pam S

Gayle, they say you know you're an alcoholic when all the bartenders know your name...so I guess you really know you're a fabriholic when all the fabric store clerks know your name!
    And here I thought it was because the shop women think I am so good looking.

Hhhhmmmmmpppphhhh!!!!!

tim in san jose

Addiction ahhhh we don't have no stinkin addiction......:-)

I'll never tell no matter what.....

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter

Gayle, they say you know you're an alcoholic when all the bartenders know your name...so I guess you really know you're a fabriholic when all the fabric store clerks know your name!
    And here I thought it was because the shop women think I am so good looking.

Hhhhmmmmmpppphhhh!!!!!

tim in san jose
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i don't know whether to feel right at home on this post or turn red bc I feel right at home on this post, lol!!!
    For a couple years I was absolutely "quilting mad"...meaning, I bought everything in sight. I went from less than half of a 8x11 bedroom to filling up a whole 11x13 room. I have four machines, bc i gave one to my daughter. One of the four is a serger I have had for years, and one of them was my grandma's and i think it weighs 50-80 lbs. I'll never part with it.
    OOPS! 'scuse me, I have six machines, now. two are in cabinets and being used as tables! (they were both given to me.)
    anyway, I too have more fabric than I could use up in a lifetime. Some was gave to me, and most was on sale.
    As I am disabled and hubby became disabled last year, it really made me put the brakes on. I was actually relieved to have to stick to a budget. I was so out of control, I sometimes cried the day after a shopping binge. :cry:
    I am much better about it all now, but 9 out of 10 times, if I even look, I have to have something, at least a magazine, a fat quarter or a remnant. I get some kind of happy high. where is this fabriholic post on here. think I need to visit there, even if I have made tremendous progress. C

My weakness -- has to be fabric -- particularly if it is on sale or I have a coupon.

I love shopping for fabric - but only at good prices!

My weakness is beads!!!!! And laces!!!!! And trims, ribbons, and any unusual adornments that I can add to a crazy quilt.

Crazy quilts are my passion!

Quote Originally Posted by fabrichound
    My weakness is fabric! Especially the new pieces! And to make matters worse, I work in a fabric store! But, since I do, I know when the sales are coming up! I'm also in a quilt group where I get more fabric that has been donated. "Take some home", they say! I've never been one to turn down quality cotton fabric. I need help!

Lucky you to work in a fabric store!!!

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    I love charm packs....i love clearance fabric!!!!! My biggest weakness is spending sometimes hours on the computer trying to find the PERFECT applique shape for a horse or flower or bird or....???!!!!

I am generally NOT a gadgit person, but I am going to buy THIS thing I saw in the July 2008 Quick Quilts mag...

http://www.quakertownquilts.com/FatTriangles.shtml

the "how to" - works like foundation piecing!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    FABRIC ! Especially on sale is my HUGE weakness ! LOL I have more fabric than I could ever use, but still I HAVE to buy more.. :lol: :D :lol: A fabricoholic group has been started on this board and I signed up right, but so far it hasn't helped any :cry: Maybe staying out of stores would be a better way to start my rehab :wink:
    Sharon
    I was not aware of a group for fabricoholics. I'll have to look it up, bc I am definitely hooked. AND I STILL NEVER HAVE ALL I NEED TO PUT A QUILT TOP TOGETHER. It seems I always have to run to the store for more.

FABRIC and more FABIRC! I am not sure I will ever use up all that I have, and even though I have tons of it work with I still find myself getting more and more of it.

I also have a weakness for threads. Lord forbid there is a sale, I want ALL the colors I can get on sale.

Boy, did you hit it on the nail head. I love patterns and seem to buy jacket patterns the most. I don't think I've ever made one of the jackets because I go out and buy ones off the rack. Am I crazy? Or as the wealthy would say, just eccentric?

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter101
    Hmm
    Fabric if it is at a good price, like under 5.00 a yard, I buy it. Batting, and thread. Right now, I'm working at less talking about it, and more doing. Does that make sense?
    There is a quilt shop right down the street from my parents bookstore, and we go there 2 times a week :twisted:
    OH! Your parents own a book store!?!?!?! I am not so sure I'd have much fabric money left if I knew someone that owned a book store.

I am only mildly an addict these days. I haven't had much time to sew or quilt for a while.
    My worst thing is when I find the remnants section nicely stocked with all those reduced prices...If it's cheap enough, and I like it, I will buy it. I used to have a really big problem with magazines. I couldn't get out of store without 2 or 3 new ones. Seems like I can always find something small that I hadn't seen before that I must must MUST have!

I'm almost completely rehabilitated on the cake and cookie-making supplies craze. Last count, I had over 60 cake pans. I have probably gotten over 10 pans since then, but those weren't purchased by me, they were given to me by some friends/family....

I was a fabricholic in the past and everything else that goes with sewing and quilting but decided that I would have to shop in my stash since i am retired and right now the economy is so bad. i did however buy some fabric lst week because I just fell in love with the roosters on it. don't ask me what I am going to do with 5 yards of rooster material but I had to have it. :lol: Linda

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Patterns and fabric -- only problem is that they don't match up. Tons of fabric that only goes with itself and the patterns all call for maybe 1/8 yard more than I have so I have to buy more fabric. Then I lose the patterns or get a major case of cutter's remorse and need to "save" that beautiful piece for who-knows-what later on so I have to buy more fabric .....and then I need a larger piece for the backing or binding so I have to buy more fabric .....or maybe that print would go better as a purse or tote bag so I better buy more fabric ......

floral fabrics it my weekness well i like all kinds lol

Many of you have hit me weaknesses - yes, plural! - square on the head! I love fat quarters, especially since I've discovered the Turning Twenty series of patterns. Quilting books featuring FQs (or any book featuring simple, fast patterns) are another addiction. As far as fabric, I generally gravitate to the batiks, because of their jewel-tone colors. Since we will be moving soon, I've been pretty good at not adding any more projects to my stash. Can't say that about books, though...I just ordered a couple more from the Connecting Threads catalogue!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
    Patterns and fabric -- only problem is that they don't match up. Tons of fabric that only goes with itself and the patterns all call for maybe 1/8 yard more than I have so I have to buy more fabric. Then I lose the patterns or get a major case of cutter's remorse and need to "save" that beautiful piece for who-knows-what later on so I have to buy more fabric .....and then I need a larger piece for the backing or binding so I have to buy more fabric .....or maybe that print would go better as a purse or tote bag so I better buy more fabric ......
    Nancy in La., We're a rare breed. I plan more than I sew. Seems there's always something missin'. Sometimes it's the time that's missing. Sometimes I can't find what I'm looking for, bc I "stashed" it away for another time. Sometimes I use a piece for something other than what is was purchased and then it's gone when I need it. YIKES ! :shock: But still, I'm never without a project. I've learned to roll with the punches. :roll:

Not a "shopping weakness" altho I certainly have those - a big weakness is checking the topics on this board several times a day. Always something to learn, always pictures to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
    Not a "shopping weakness" altho I certainly have those - a big weakness is checking the topics on this board several times a day. Always something to learn, always pictures to enjoy.
    Oh, Mrs. Fitz, I hope that's not a weakness. I do it all the time. Sometimes I think if I'd go to my sewing machine instead of to my computer, I'd get a lot more done. But I keep wondering what's going on with the board, so I check it out several times a day. First thing in the morning, sometimes mid-morning, after lunch, sometimes before DH gets home from work :lol: , after supper, before bed. Even if I get up during the night (insomnia). :shock:

I figure I could be doing a lot worse things. So this is not so bad. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Hi my name is Gayle and I am a fabriholic. Mine is fabrics. I have to buy some every week, just about. Especially if it is on sale. I have store about a mile from the house and of course it is on the way home. And it is right next to Trader Joes, so I must stop weekly and see what is on the sale table and what new fabrics have come into the shop. All the employees know me by name and everyone says "hello". Then there is my favorite store that had been putting fabrics on sale for $1.69 a yard and I cannot resist buying the whole rest of the bolt of a quality fabric that I like. Everyone there knows my name also. Too bad that store is closing. I prefer yardage cause fat quarters are never enough, especially if I like it. I love lucious florals and I am a sucker for the Kaufman "Fusions" in all kinds of colors.
    Oh! No, I'm a fabricolic too. All the fabric store personnel call me by name and CALL ME when they have a piece of fabric come in that they know I'll love. Someone said they have more flannel than cottons. When Joann's had their sale in Dec. I bought about 200 yards to go with the other 300 yard I already have. I like to use the flannel for the backs on the quilts I make and donate to foster kids.

My BIGGEST WEAKNESS...sounds really funny but I love SCRAPS. I've made dozens and dozens of scrap quilts and I have a couple friends who give me their scraps because they don't do scrap quilts. I LOVE these bags of scraps more than the yardage i actually buy myself. It warms my heart and the bodies of the people who receive my scrap quilts because I'm using up something that would probably be thrown away. Scraps are my biggest weakness and my greatest joy when making a new project.

[]
    OOps. I did something wrong. This is a quote from a previous post.

My BIGGEST WEAKNESS...sounds really funny but I love SCRAPS. I've made dozens and dozens of scrap quilts and I have a couple friends who give me their scraps because they don't do scrap quilts. I LOVE these bags of scraps more than the yardage i actually buy myself. It warms my heart and the bodies of the people who receive my scrap quilts because I'm using up something that would probably be thrown away. Scraps are my biggest weakness and my greatest joy when making a new project.[/quote]

OK, so what's wrong with me? I just love, love, love scrappy quilts. But when I take out all the scraps, I just don't know what to do with them. I sit there and look at them and don't know where to start. How do you decide which ones to use? I know this sounds really bad. Am I too structured-minded to relax and use the scraps? Woe is me. :?

I thought I was the same way- too structured- but.... I discovered quiltville.com and I'm stuck. String quilts and crumb blocks. This board sent me there.

It's all ltheir fault I'm like this. (Isn't denial one of the steps of recognizing you have an addiction?)

Barb

Fabric in fall colors always calls me. I just can't resist.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast