Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your weakness

I'm not sure if this is in the right topic but it does have something to do with quilting. I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but us new members can chime in:
    What is your weakness when it comes to shopping for quilting supplies, items, etc.
    I can't seem to stay away from patterns. Even though there are tons of free patterns online I still have to fight with myself over not buying patterns. I see a quilt pattern knowing I'll probably never get around to making it I still want it. I'm getting better at not giving in to my addiction but it's hard. If I were superwoman I have enough patterns to make a different quilt everyday for a couple of years. (maybe more). What is your addiction and how do you handle it?

Blog Entries
    Oh my....I think mine is FQ's. I see all those pretty folded up pieces of fabric and my hand just seems to pick them up and add them to a pile by the cash register. (Yesterday at the LQS..she had to ring me up twice :lol: )... I just love them...a little of this, a little of that... So the way I handle my weakness is obvious...I buy 'em :lol: :lol:

Banned
    Hmm
    Fabric if it is at a good price, like under 5.00 a yard, I buy it. Batting, and thread. Right now, I'm working at less talking about it, and more doing. Does that make sense?
    There is a quilt shop right down the street from my parents bookstore, and we go there 2 times a week :twisted:

Wow, I dont think I could narrow it done to one thing!!! Quilting in general is my weakness, the fabric, the patterns, the rulers and all the gizmos! :lol: I am just so WEAK!!!!!! :lol:

bj
    I'm with sandpat. My weakness is fat quarters. I just love the randomness of them. I buy yardage with projects in mind...I buy fq's because they're just fun.

I'd have to say fabric I like on sale.

My weakness is fabric -- charm squares, FQ, yardage -- I need it all :twisted: :twisted:

Blog Entries
    FABRIC ! Especially on sale is my HUGE weakness ! LOL I have more fabric than I could ever use, but still I HAVE to buy more.. :lol: :D :lol: A fabricoholic group has been started on this board and I signed up right, but so far it hasn't helped any :cry: Maybe staying out of stores would be a better way to start my rehab :wink:
    Sharon

I dont have a husband to control my spending so its tough trying to keep myself from going overboard.
    I buy notions that I dont need but someday will.
    I buy fabric just because I want it.
    I want an embroidery machine just so I can do fancy designs on the blocks. I dont have room for a quilting frame. The cost is about the same for both. So that is on hold.
    I want everything to do with quilting.

sharon- there is no cure, just go with the flow.

I think my weakness is... my obsession with everything quilting. Fabric, notions, sewing machines, batting, patterns, books, I just can't get enough of it all.

I think it's just because when I learn something new, I need to master it and know everything there is about it. So it's probably not an obsession but some big learning curve that takes years before I can feel confident to call myself a "Quilter".

Hi,

I like it all. I have an impressive collection of everything from machines to gadgets. I currently have 4 Bernina machines including an embroidery machine and a serger, a Singer Featherweight and a treadle machine. I have several thousand dollars worth of embroidery software patterns etc., every gadget and ruler that comes down the pike and fabric, fabric, fabric. I just purchased the new Oilso iron with Christmas money. That brings my irons to 5. I have binders full of pattens I have downloaded from the internet and a Magic Box to convert embroidery patterns to a format my machine can use. I have an impressive supply of stabilizers, thread , hoops etc. for my embroidery machine and there is no end in site.
    I even have two floor hand quilting hoops one for upstairs and one for down.
    I have been at this for more than 40 years. If there is really a prize for the one dying with the most I am working on being the winner.

My weakness is definitely fabric, especially fat quarters. :D

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I buy yardage with projects in mind...I buy fq's because they're just fun.
    Yep, me too. :mrgreen:

Fabric and old sewing machines :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Fabric but I am learning how much fun thread is.

fabric and old sewing machines definitely.I also have more fabric than I will ever use but I still buy more and If I happen to go to yard sales or estate sales and find old machines I might buy them, they are addicting, so I try not to go to those kinds of sales.right now I have 4 old machines on display in my fireplace room,they do all work,I don't use them, but they are just pretty to look at

Hi my name is Gayle and I am a fabriholic. Mine is fabrics. I have to buy some every week, just about. Especially if it is on sale. I have store about a mile from the house and of course it is on the way home. And it is right next to Trader Joes, so I must stop weekly and see what is on the sale table and what new fabrics have come into the shop. All the employees know me by name and everyone says "hello". Then there is my favorite store that had been putting fabrics on sale for $1.69 a yard and I cannot resist buying the whole rest of the bolt of a quality fabric that I like. Everyone there knows my name also. Too bad that store is closing. I prefer yardage cause fat quarters are never enough, especially if I like it. I love lucious florals and I am a sucker for the Kaufman "Fusions" in all kinds of colors.

My weakness right now is charm packs.....never met one I didn't buy. I acutally use them and will have to replenish again soon LOL. FQ's are a close second....I like scrappy quilts so bits and pieces of lots of different fabrics works for me. I do buy yardage but usually just for sashings, borders, backing and background.

Oh, I also collect LOTS of thread.

Fabric, fabric and fabric---love it all!! It can be a charm pack, fat quarter or yardage. It can be a jelly roll, layer cake or honey bun. It does not matter--I just love it all!!

I sure can't narrow it down, either, to one thing. I like it all from marking pencils to sewing machines, fabrics, fqs, my LQS is like heaven on earth.

Sharon

Quilting in general is my weakness.

You go to the shop with an idea in mind, and a list of things to buy, but... this is on sale... ooo there's a new gadget... look at the fabric, it's pretty, let me buy a yard...

And before you know it, you've blown your budget and have to take out a second mortgage on the house to support the addiction.

To handle the addiction, I literally wrestle myself out the door.

Someone needs to start QA (Quilter's Anonymous).

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Fabric....if I don't have a project in mind I'll buy 1/2 yard. That way it can easily be made into fat qtrs for swaps and takes care of my fabric fix. I could buy 1 yard of 1 fabric, but buying two 1/2 yards seems like so much more. lol

Fabric! Have to go back and get some of the Hoffman Challenge Fabric tomorrow!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just about anthing can be my 'fix'. I'm happy to just buy something. Even better if I can say I got it on sale!

FABRIC!!!! I love just about everything with quilting. From fabric to notions to gizmos! I love it all! One can never have enough of anything!! I'm a fabricholic don't let me enter a store! then again please do!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast