Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When the backing is too small.... >

When the backing is too small....

When the backing is too small....

Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Default When the backing is too small....

For you who quilt these beauties, when you are loading your backing on your frame, if it is not big enough( meaning you don't have the extra 4 inches for each side) how do you let the owner know that you need it to be enlarged before you can even begin?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

I don't quilt professionally, but I have done quilts for friends. If the backing isn't big enough, I just tell them and they provide a bigger back. It shouldn't be an issue to let the quilt maker know that you require a bigger back. That information should have been available to them before they gave you the quilt.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the reply, occasionally a client will question why the extra fabric is needed and they just don't get it. My latest client did just that and said " do the best you can." Mind you, this was an old quilt her mom had made and it killed me to think she would literally cut off half a block, just because she really didn't understand what and why I had these requirements. Made me crazy knowing that the backing would be at least 6 inches shorter than the top. I took it upon myself, to go to the store which I knew would have this fabric and purchase the needed amount and sew it on, now the question is how do I charge her. So I will just add one hour of quilting time to cover the cost of fabric and my time in travel and sewing it together. She appears to not have a clue to the reasoning of any of this. Is that horribly wrong?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

you did the best you could. charge her for fabric and time.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM

As someone who's new to quilting, part of the reason she's bringing it to you is for your expertise. You made a judgement call to preserve the beauty and integrity of the quilt, and chose the less destructive option. I think you made exactly the right call, and passing the costs on as an hour of your time (which is more understandable) is completely fine. Many businesses don't itemise the bill at all.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it's horribly wrong at all. What you did was a very nice gesture. "Do the best you can" doesn't cut it- pardon the pun
Old 01-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Agree. i know someone who wasn't asked, had the bottom of the top cut off because the back was too short. The short backing was a miscalculation by a seasoned quilter. She expected that the quilter would call her, not just cut part of the top off to accommodate the backing.

So always ask. Even seasoned quilters make mistakes.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Just tell them outright. if they don't want to fix the situation, don't quilt it. it will ALWAYS be your fault, not the customers, when the customer shows off the quilt. Quilting is very hard work. You don't need the hit on your reputation that this scenario can cause.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I think I would tell her the truth and charge her for the fabric and your time. Show her what you had to do that way she'll understand why you need the backing a certain size. Lying to her doesn't help her to understand.

Cari
Exactly what I would do. You can't ruin the quilt for her. I think most people would appreciate that.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

I let people know when they call to bring a quilt in that the backing has to be larger and I explain why. If someone brings one over and I find it is too small I call them right away and find out what they want to do. Sometimes I can baste muslin on to have enough to load, sometimes they want the top trimmed, sometimes they replace the backing or bring over fabric for me to add. Every situation is different but the key is Communicating.