Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When Binding by machine.... >
  • When Binding by machine....

• When Binding by machine....

Old 08-04-2018, 11:23 AM
    Power Poster

Watson, I hope someone else can help. I always have trouble with binding.
    The best thing that works for me is to machine sew the front and hand sew the back. Frustrating!
    Old 08-04-2018, 11:23 AM

I use 3/8 inch seam with binding cut at 2.5 inches. Make some samples and mark the allowance on sample.

If you use a 3/8 inch seam allowance, you have to stop at the corners 3/8 inch also. I stop at the 3/8 inch and then stitch off on an angle.
    Old 08-04-2018, 11:26 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda K
    I use 3/8 inch seam with binding cut at 2.5 inches. Make some samples and mark the allowance on sample.

If you use a 3/8 inch seam allowance, you have to stop at the corners 3/8 inch also. I stop at the 3/8 inch and then stitch off on an angle.
    It took me a while to learn to ignore that "stop stitching 1/4 inch from the edge" instruction when it comes to bindings. Stop stitching the width of your seam allowance from the edge/end.

That only applies when one is stitching 1/4 inch from the edge when applying binding.
    Old 08-04-2018, 11:30 AM

I have the same problem I think I will check into some of these tips

I did take a quilt class once and the teacher had an awesome tip and it work wonderfully. She had us sew to the front (I think - might not be remembering correctly) then when you flipped the quilt over she showed us how to "feel" where the binding was on the other side. That helped keep things even - and I did 2 quilts that way with her and I was sold on the technique - it really helped me alot.

the only problem that she also uses fusible batting. I like the fusible batting, but it just adds expense. I think this method would probably work with 505 spray - or maybe a quilt that was long armed.

since I am so tight wadded I maybe get 1 or 2 quilts long armed a year... and I can't get myself to spend the money on fusible batting. I use the elmers glue for basting and that leaves residue that I can feel so I can't feel my binding on the opposite side when I am sewing. Maybe some day I will win the lottery and money won't matter ha ha
    Old 08-04-2018, 01:13 PM
    Power Poster

I cut my binding at 2-1/2" wide, fold in half, press, sew it on with 3/8" seam on the back. Turn over and stitch to the front. I check to make sure all of the front binding is sewn down. Get it ready to be laundered, then on to the next quilt. If I made competition or heirloom quilts I might worry about how the back of the binding looks, probably not. If I am pleased then whomever gets it will be pleased too.
    Old 08-04-2018, 02:49 PM
    Banned

I use 2 1/4" binding too but I put it on differently. I stitch it to the back of the quilt first with about a 3/8" seam. Then flip it over to the front and sew it with an adjustable zipper foot. I hold 2-3" inches in place, with the edge just a hair over the seam line and sew the few inches, stop and place the next few inches, sew, etc. It tends to go fast when you get going, I'm always finished sooner than I thought I'd be. and I don't have all that extra binding outside of the seam.

Cari
    Old 08-04-2018, 02:54 PM
    Power Poster

I also struggled with this. I finally tried the faux flanged binding, and that's just about all I use. Yes, there's an extra prep step, but attaching it goes so quick it makes up for it.
    Flanged Binding
    Old 08-04-2018, 03:31 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I only did one very small wall hanging that way and it was tough. I went back to the regular way after that.
    the same for me as well
    Old 08-04-2018, 06:15 PM

I don't often bind with machine, but when I do I have better luck sewing to back first and then rolling to front and pinning and catching the very edge of binding in the needle. And one quilt I did I used the Faux flange method--two strips (I always have to YouTube this to get the widths) and then you sew in the ditch between the two from the front--works pretty darn slick!
    Old 08-04-2018, 06:22 PM

I found that if I cut my binding strips 2 1/4” wide instead of 2 1/2”, I have less lip leftover. When I sew it from the front stitching in the ditch, I am usually also right on the folded edge on the back.