Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When did you become confident enough - or learn that - >

When did you become confident enough - or learn that -

When did you become confident enough - or learn that -

Old 07-04-2016, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Many years ago in small country school districts home ec was still taught. The home ec teacher at my cousin's wife's school became quite sick and was out for almost 3 days. It was hard to get a substitute home ec teacher. Her mother did a lot of domestic sewing, home décor, wedding dresses for her girls, and was a good cook. She was also active in 4H. The school called her and asked if she would be able to help supervise the morning class. They couldn't use the word teach. Those kids got a lot out of those classes the short time she was there and most of the machines were treadle. It was the last time there were any "treadle challenged" students in that class.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:54 PM

I learned about that fact when I was young and first getting into crafts. I learned the fake it 'til you make it method for patterns I really liked. These days I use patterns as suggestions, so most pattern errors just don't bother me that much. I recently made a quilt for a GGS and the directions were gibberish, so I just winged it and it came out really cute! :-)
Old 07-08-2016, 04:49 AM

I used to do my own thing when I thought there was an error or found the instructions too confusing. But have lived and learned that it is better to take a deep breath and ask.... the benefit are great
The option to do my own thing does not go away and the benefit to fully understand a pattern that I paid for is a learning experience.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 AM

If I'm using a pattern from a magazine I always check online to see if they have any corrections for that issue. I do wish that designers would include the cutting instructions for ONE block -- some blocks are so complicated that it is difficult to figure out what is needed for just one block.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:54 AM

The quilting group I belong to decided in January to make a quilt as one of the more experience members had made from a supposedly original design (the quilt shop owner she had worked for). Pattern was gibberish and there was No pictures and the lady who made the original quilt was not usually in attendance - life got in the way. So they muddled through. I was not able to attend as I have been having many health issues so they showed me pictures or the actual quilt tops. Very pretty results for most but with all the problems they were not happy with them. And very upset that they each had to pay for the pattern which was not cheap.
One lady handed me here copy and asked if I could rewrite the pattern - I seem to be able to look at a block and figure it out - and this one is made from 2 1/2" strips so the measurements are a given. I want to make the quilt myself so will work them through but I'm sure I can do better.