Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When did you become confident enough - or learn that - >

When did you become confident enough - or learn that -

When did you become confident enough - or learn that -

Old 07-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I consider pattern more like "guidelines" and I sometimes color outside the lines. Whether it is something wrong with the pattern or the way I interpret the design, it is a challenge (but also fun) to work out the kinks.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Yes I have encountered many mistakes in patterns though the years. It has taught me to try and make one of each block required to make sure of the pattern before cutting all of the blocks out. Please don't ask about the pattern I cut hundreds of 2 1/2" blocks the wrong size. It aggravates me to no end. But, it was something I never forgot.

There was a recent pre-cut quilt I made that was 1 and 3/8 inches short for the middle blocks on a medallion quilt. No problem I just put them all together and added a 5/8" border around the blocks to compensate. Yes mam I sure did let her know the error. She was still selling the kits. By the way, she forgot to send enough of the cut triangles to make other blocks in the quilt top. She did mail them right off to me, but, come on. So, I vowed to never buy a pre-cut ever again. I have never bought one before this, so it won't kill me.

Back to patterns though... I love great quilt patterns and am really addicted to them. I have to admit, it is hardest to find the proper fabrics for the quilt than to find inspiration. I used to spend hours on the design and math to make a quilt. But, now I just check my pattern for errors and test a single block. Easy Peasy !!

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-02-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:55 AM

Dense me--- reread and reread the directions, knew something was amiss, just wasn't jumpig out to me, wasn't until I went to cut. Bazinga!! The yardage requirements had the binding twice, should have been border and bindings. If it had been a snake it would have bit me.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:20 AM

I seldom pay attention to full directions. I read them all the way thru then do it my own way. For example, I prefer to make flying geese the no waste method, instead of the HST method. So, I use it as a guide but often change size, layout, ect.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:27 AM

I too have been sewing most of my life and learned from my mother, that layout directions in clothing patterns were just a 'suggestion'. She also always wanted to use the least amount of fabric possible. She could put together 4 patterns to get a dress with just the right sleeve, neckline, waist and skirt.

If it is a new technique, I really try to follow the directions the first time. And I have found errors or poorly written directions but have never contacted the pattern writer. What irritates me the most, is being shorted fabric in a kit. That happened once and I never heard back from the company, even tho they were still selling the kit on their website. Now if I buy a kit, I immediately open it and measure every piece of fabric.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:54 AM

I purchased a pattern from a LQS in which the instructions were incorrect but it was evident when cutting (and easy to catch) that she had Fabric C and Fabric D wrong. I did notify the owner of the LQS because it was her mother's pattern design. They sent me a new copy of the pattern after it had been corrected.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:59 AM

Yes I've found mistakes in patterns and have notified the designer not for my benefit but for others who purchase the pattern and can't put it right.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

I found wrong cutting instructions and just make notes in the book. I have also found wrong measures, just a matter of adding. Most of the time I just make up my own patterns. Something fast and/or simple. Mostly making charity quilts now.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Most of you have ben expeienced - what about the newbies?
Old 07-04-2016, 05:54 AM

I bought a pattern out east when visiting my son who was assigned to a sub at Norfolk. That was 4 years ago. I finally made it this past winter. There was a mistake in the size of one of the blocks. I looked online for a correction as some pattern makers will post corrections if found. It wasn't there so trial and error I was able to make the block. Maybe would have been easier if I had a computer problem that designs blocks.