Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when do you decide to destash fabrics? >

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 PM

I usally run into somebody who would like to learn to quilt I say hey I have some material to share she's hooked she becomes my quilting buddy and we start sharing (her stuff)all the patterns and extra material she starts to buy like crazy! that's why I de-stach!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 PM

My stash is manageable. But sometimes it can make me nervous even at its current reduced size. lol... At one time it got Unmanageable (for me, anyway), and I could hardly sleep for worrying about it. I started making charts and time lines for quilts. I put a lot of pressure on myself. It's funny to me now, but at the time I was a frantic sewing fiend filled with a Guilt I couldn't explain. Then, one day, I was making a memory quilt and I had Every kind of little iconic image I needed right in my own sewing room. That made me so Happy that I relaxed a bit and even patted myself on the back. I try not to worry about it now, but am really careful about shopping. I don't want to repeat that frantic year. heh-heh
Old 10-18-2010, 05:43 PM

I had to de-stash a bit last year when my son re-vamped my walk in closet to with new shelving to accommodate my fabrics, etc. I invited several friends over to "exchange" fabrics so they could de-stash their stuff. But in reality everything I took out of my stash was not going back in there and had to find new homes. They were so elated with all the goodies they got and I was happy to have it gone so I could have room for some new fabrics. It's been quite a while and they want to get together again so they can downsize some of their stuff. So--- I'm de-stashing once again. I've already made a few great trades -- I purchased a kit on close-out at Connecting Threads. Loved it at the time but decided I didn't like it well enough to keep it. I exchanged it for a gift certificate for machine quilting. And the friend who made the trade doesn't do machine quilting. She has a house cleaning business and one of her clients is a fellow quilter friend who pays her in machine quilting. So everybody wins. De-stashing allows me to recycle fabrics I'm tired of or have decided my taste has changed. If I get some new fabrics from my friend's stash and they get mine, it is all good.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
is it because you want more or because you are tired of them?
Both! :) I am trying to keep my buying to a minimum until I use up a great deal of my stash
Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 PM

Had to do this recently, because oldest son moved back home because of lay-offs, and he needed a room to stay in, of course, my sewing room. It all had ti fit in my bedroom closet, and the linen closet. Well, I had received my grandmothers stash when she passed away, she bought the Walmart 1.00 a yard stuff, and other material of lesser quality. So, that's basically what I got rid of. It wasn't easy, sentimental reasons. But, I would never have used them.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM

When I have to add support to the floor joists.
Why destash? Just sew, sew, sew...
Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

De Stash? Is that the new hip-hop way to refer to our fabric?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:55 PM

When I run out of closet space and hubby starts to notice the overflow!!! Time to reduce - in more ways than one!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM

De-stash? That would be like asking my husband when he was going to thin out his tools; not gonna happen
Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 PM

I de-stashed some of my yardage and zip bags of scraps at a garage sale last June! I has simply run out of room and there was several I had had around for years and really didn't like any more. The zip bags (gallon size), I sold for $1 each - they went very fast! Even tho I do a lot of applique, most of the scraps I sold weren't suitable for what I wanted.