Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when does your stash become hoarding >

when does your stash become hoarding

when does your stash become hoarding

Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM

The hoarder you encountered was ,1. exagrating, or 2. unstable. it's too bad that someone in her family couldn't suggest to her to part with some fabric either donating to a quilting club or church group. Possibly even having a tag sale.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 PM

Corky, I love the way you put your magazines in order. I started to organize mine only I was using those large 3" binders and those plastic things that you put through the half magazine and then you put them in the binder. I also bought a few of the plastic magazine holders like you have, but they were so expensive. I like the cardboard ones better and I bet they were a little cheaper, but you can decorate them. Very Smart :D Now I'm pumped up to regroup and get those and start in. Thanks. LOL Beth
Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 PM

That is acquiring fabric just for the sake of acquiring fabric, no way she uses what she has. I am sure there is some tangled web in this poor womens psyche that makes her do this, curious how many sewing machine she has. Probably also has every piece of clothing she ever bought, food containers without lids, single socks, dried up pens, scratched up albums (that is music before CD and downloads for you youngsters), broken video tapes, etc, etc.....
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
If you can't access it because it is packed in trailers then it is hording. And he is enabling.
I totally agree!!! This lady seriously needs to STOP!!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 AM

I am coming late into this discussion. I think it is VERY selfish to hold onto all that fabric. There are many people who would love to use this for charity quilts.

It makes me think of the fairy tale about King Midas....or the toddler who gathers all his toys around him and then cannot play with anything because his hands are full.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 PM

Lady after my own heart. My greatest joy is sharing my fabrics with those who can not afford to make something. The youth at our church made 20 lap quilts to give to hospice. All the fabrics, batting, came from our church stash, all had been donated by various members of our church. The children did not have to pay one penny. To see them really dive into the fabrics was such a blessing. The amazing thing is that the fabrics they chose to put together made some of us quilters cringe. Yet, when they were completed, the quilts were awesome. We learned a lot just letting the children have free hand in their designing. Can only imagine the endless projects that trailer load of fabrics could support.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:44 PM

well i have quite a bit of quilting material, but also some sewing material also. But that IS hoarding.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM

sounds like that lady has a bad habit that turned into an illness
Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
While I was in wolly world yesterday shopping fabrics, a lady was telling me that she has so much fabric that her husband purchased 2 45' trailers (the ones that semi's pull an call vans) for her to put her stash in. One is already packed full an she is getting ready to start on the other. She was buying a bunch more for her stash.
So my question is when is enough enough?
Not that I wouldn't mind having a large stash close to that. But when do you say to yourself too stop buying?
Please let me know your opinions on this topic.
I would say that is hoarding...I have a distance sister in law that has a 4 bedrm house full and over flowing w/ fabric-its so bad she won't let anyone in anymore. I love shopping for fabric as much as the next person but I do try to stay in control-yes somedays it takes alot of control. I realized along time ago I have a very addictive personality and I also know hoarding is a disease. I am watching the show Hoaders as I am typing this...very sad.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM

I thought I had alot of fabric!!! I can't imagine her being able to find anything. WOW!
Originally Posted by cjomomma
While I was in wolly world yesterday shopping fabrics, a lady was telling me that she has so much fabric that her husband purchased 2 45' trailers (the ones that semi's pull an call vans) for her to put her stash in. One is already packed full an she is getting ready to start on the other. She was buying a bunch more for her stash.
So my question is when is enough enough?
Not that I wouldn't mind having a large stash close to that. But when do you say to yourself too stop buying?
Please let me know your opinions on this topic.