Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when does your stash become hoarding >

when does your stash become hoarding

when does your stash become hoarding

Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 AM

I agree with DianD. It would be fun to have a quilt retreat with the lady's fabric and make quilts for Haiti.We could probably make 1000 quilts out of that much fabric. Eiltoq.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Zoe

I agree with wvdek in that the lady in our small quilt group who has the least, always (I mean always) gives fabric, patterns and sometimes kits to the rest of us. When we try to repay her by buying a gift card, guess what this blessed soul does? She buys us more fabric. She said to me once that we weren't going to change her because she loves to cut the pattern pieces and then match each of us to the particular designs we love. She is our special jewel and another "angel amongst us".
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 AM

You girls are tough. I guess I better not disclose how much fabric I have. I am retired though so who knows how much I will use. My sewing pals will get my fabric on my demise.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 AM

Oh, my, that is definitely hoarding. I thought I was bad but now I don't feel bad at all. She needs help.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 AM

I do not like to make decissions, so some times think two pieces is to much. However; when looking at my stach you would never know it.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
All I can say is I can't wait to go to that garage sale when she passes on!!!
The question is: Will the family (especially the DH) be able to part with her "stuff" ? OOOORRRRR!!! will they just light a match or take it to the dump?

I have a quilting friend who passed away leaving a sizeable stash. (I'll grant you, NOTHING like the subject of this thread) Her children brought it to her guild and they shared it.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 AM

I feel much better after reading all the messages from everyone. I thought my 15 totes were overboard. Now, I know I'm just a 'normal' quilter! That poor lady really needs help. As a matter of fact, so does her husband.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 AM

We own a very large apartment but even with large rooms my storage space is limited. I have a lot of fabric, two dressers in the bedroom, plastic boxes under the futon in the den. But it's all where I can enjoy it, take it out and re-sort it, see what I have and it makes me happy.

Problem with the lady CJOMOMMA met seems to be she's just piling it in and doesn't enjoy it at all. She's buying just to buy.

And ESQMOMMY I'd join you at that garage sale. I'll be polite but if there's any orange fabric it's mine!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
We own a very large apartment but even with large rooms my storage space is limited. I have a lot of fabric, two dressers in the bedroom, plastic boxes under the futon in the den. But it's all where I can enjoy it, take it out and re-sort it, see what I have and it makes me happy.

Problem with the lady CJOMOMMA met seems to be she's just piling it in and doesn't enjoy it at all. She's buying just to buy.

And ESQMOMMY I'd join you at that garage sale. I'll be polite but if there's any orange fabric it's mine!
LOL...that's okay...any dots and birds are mine! I may lose my politeness over certain fabrics!!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 AM

When I moved and most of what I moved was craft stuff. I made a goal for myself right there. No more buying until I had finished all the projects I already had except what I needed to finish a given project. It took 5 or 6 years but I finished off everything and now I get what I need for a project and complete that project before I buy anything else. I'm sure if I weren't on a fixed income I'd be doing it different. But this is what I do now. So for me it's hoarding if it doesn't belong to the project I'm working on.